Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

does anyone else stutter alot and have really bad cognitive issues when nervous?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

does anyone else stutter alot and have really bad cognitive issues when nervous?

hi,

sorry second post for tonight i have another question. I"ve noticed the past mos. that I stutter and slur very badly when im nervous or when i've been in the sun i can't seem to complete a sentence for hours after.

i don't get nervous while it;s happening, yet it's getting really bad lately. i literally struggle to make a sentence, or get my thoughts together the right way. it's like suddenly i'm totally lost.

anyone else have this?? if so can steriods make this better or this is a deal with sort of thing? is it a symptom of the disease progressing??
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Steroids aren't like duct tape and WD40, which have almost unlimited uses. Steroids are anti-inflammatories. They don't help with things that aren't caused by inflammation. So they won't help problems caused by overheating or nervous system overload.

Particular symptoms getting worse doesn't necessarily mean disease progression.

Problems related to overheating are dealt with by prevention and cooling off ASAP. The first means to stay out of the sun and don't do things that cause heating. The second means more than just waiting until you cool off. It means applying cold to your head and neck to speed up cooling.

Problems with nervous system overload are also dealt with by prevention, whenever possible. That means learning and applying coping strategies so you don't get nervous and overloaded. In theory, Ampyra or 4-AP might help by improving nerve conduction and preventing some of the signal scrambling and over/underload. If you can't qualify for Ampyra based on the required walking speed test, your neuro can prescribe 4-AP. (4-AP costs less, too. ) But that's a theoretical supposition -- you'll have to check with your neuro.

And just for completeness, I'll mention LDN. I haven't studied it in depth, and I have no personal experience with it. But with everything proponents say it does, LDN does seem to work like duct tape and WD40.

Comment

really?? wow that's alot of good info. Now can someone be on LDN and a DMD at the same time? I've noticed some use LDN as opposed to a DMD.

I'd love help with it, lol..... and yes prevention is key yet as you know there are times in life especially when one has a family and kids that well the overload does happen.
      Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

Oh yeah!

Hi there,

That has been a problem for me since 2005; however, less with the stuttering as of late. I do note the link between my state of mind (being nervous), stuttering and not being able to form sentences. I was a classroom teacher of middle school students when this was going on. Not fun, but I got through it.

Best wishes,

Mtngl

Believe your own truth. Dx 2004. Currently Tecfidera and Ampyra.

Comment

Me too !

I had a month-long episode of stuttering. I noticed that I was stuttering and I am a real talker. People have to stop me or walk away. But I got real shy when I started stuttering.

Every day it got worse until I got to the point where the word dog became duh, duh, duh, duh, duh. You get my point. I couldn't get one word out. I became a recluse.

I went to my Neuro and he called it thought or word searching. He said that it woul pass !!!

I am a ret. Psych RN. so I began to do what I teach stutterers. Settle myself. Calm the mental pressure that I am feeling. Stop trying to think ahead of what I am going to stay. Slow my speech way down. Over three days it slowly went away. Once the stuttering slowed I began to get more confidence. I eventually got to a point where I wasn't worried about my slow stuttering. It went away and now I am back to full speed and no stuttering.

I do oral readings, speeches on TV and radio, narrations so you can guess how fearful I was. The stress only made it worse.

I hope this helps.
          Dave
          J:

Comment

I am noticing this occurring more and more. Not only when I am nervous but also in social situation with friends and family. I begin to feel very self conscious and it is as though I cannot string my thought together in a sentence. I am becoming more passive something I never was - don't like it.
            Kathy

Comment

Flummoxed

Yep...I'm a prof, and my colleague noticed my inability to complete a sentence without stuttering (even before I was diagnosed with m.s.!). I am often anxious and nervous, anyway (like before driving long-distance or pumping gas), and I can no longer give a talk or lecture, even with written notes. At the beginning of the semester, I explain my disease to students and seek their patience. It's not easy, though. Any ideas, possibilities, tips?

Comment

that's too bad that it's affected your ability in that way. do you currently take an anxiety med? that could help calm you. than i'd try a speech therapist or someone else here listed ldn as an option? which i bet is alot easier than speech therapy

good luck........ as we all stutter on
                Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

Working...
                X