Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ever lose functionability while out?

hi,

So, I was wondering has anyone ever gone numb in any limbs while out and found themself in a precarious situation?

If so, what did you do? do you travel with anything in your car when your out and about to be on the safe side cane etc? even if you aren't using one yet?

I ask because lately i've been doing the gym, and i normally do the treadmill at a certain speed i don't push very hard and today i forgot about what i have. so, i pushed went faster than normal and i felt fine yet towards end both my feet and digits when totally numb.

I just kinda hung out on the treadmill staning there waiting for them to return. It took a while they partially returned and than i was able to leave the gym.

yet it got me to thinking....
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Hi Sunshine

ever lose functionability while out?
    Yes, and this lesson I will not forget.

Two years ago I was at a meeting, which wasn't air-conditioned.

I wasn't really uncomfortable, as far as sweating or anything. I actually felt ok just sitting there.

After about 2 hours, I went to stand up to walk out and I couldn't walk. My legs wouldn't move, and it didn't even matter that I had the cane.

Some people helped me get to the car, where I turned on the air-conditioning. After I cooled down, I was able to drive home.

I learned then about the debilitating power of heat on those of us with MS heat intolerance. I have to stay away from places that aren't air-conditioned.

Good topic!

Take care,
    KoKo
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

wow you must of been petrified..... so sorry you had to go thru that.

i just kinda faked it and acted like i was playing w/my ipod at the gym waiting for my feet to return. i couldnt walk so i just hung out.

i stood there wondering hmm what would i do being i was on the second flr of the gym? lol man it isn't funny but i'm laughing now....

i'm going to antigua in 3 weeks, i should have some really crazy stories from that type of heat. we booked it before my dx.
      Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

For certain long car rides, I always stash my cane in the back. A couple of years ago, my boys had a doctor's appointment in an office that was about 30 - 45 minutes away. After sitting in the waiting room for about 45 minutes, I went to get up to leave, and my back just gave out - I hobbled out of the office, through the building and to the car.

From then on I've had it in my car just in case sitting for a long car trip affects me. I even took the cane with me "just in case" to the Eagles concert last year in case the heat got to me.
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

A couple of years ago, my right leg went numb while I was walking my students to the lunch room. Luckily I was near the right hand wall and was able to reach out and lean on the wall. We were almost to the lunch room when it happened and most of my students were in front of me, so I was able to make it there without any of the students noticing. I got the attention of the lady taking money and lunch cards and asked her to keep an eye on me while I leaned against the milk case; I had 'milk duty' that week. The feeling in my leg came back after about 10 minutes. It was weak for a few weeks after that.

This happened before I was officially diagnosed and it is the only time I have lost complete feeling in a limb.
          Portia

Comment

It's happened to me, but my backup plan includes calling someone to pick me up and leaving my car parked where it is.

I've gotten spasms or numbness that I was afraid would affect my ability to drive safely, so I have a few people in town that I've alerted to the possibility that I might sometime need a ride.

I always carry a cell phone and when that occasion has arisen, which has been only once, maybe twice, I've just called them, they pick me up and get me home, and we worry about picking up the car later.

Comment

I always keep a cane in the back seat of my car for occasions like you describe. It has come in handy on several times.
              "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

Some people helped me get to the car, where I turned on the air-conditioning. After I cooled down, I was able to drive home.

That's what I do. I nap in my car with the A/C on cold. Park in the shade and pass-out for a few.

I get about a 3-5 min warning. (I start to feel dizzy and loss of control)
                Have not completely colapsed or passed out in public for many years now. (my car does not count. that is my space.)

After a spell like that, it seems to take me a while to recover .
                Like a hang-over that lasts for days or sometimes weeks.

The less run down I am the less it seems to happen.

Comment

I have found that in times of crisis I lose my timidity of calling on help from strangers. The bag boy at the supermarket once drove me home and put my groceries away. A home repairman once offered to sit with me until my husband could get home. The world is truly full of good people.

Comment

I had this happen tonight as a matter of fact. Should have known better. Spent part of the afternoon running around with my husband running errands. Was totally wiped by the time we got home at 4. It was decided that we would go out for dinner at 5. My cane was NOT in the car unfortunately, and I got out of the car at the restaurant (5 minutes from my home) and got sciatic pain shooting down my leg as I hobbled into the restaurant. We finally got home after a not so pleasant dinner (will not eat there again, this is the second time we've had problems there, and this is a national chain), I sent my husband up to get my cane and said that I'm probably done walking for the night.
                    Diagnosis: May, 2008
                    Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

yea a hangover without the fun before hand LOL. not cool

with me its' random because i'm usually hurting for sleep anyway....

sorry you didnt' enjoy dinner... next time you have to relax all day than do dinner out.

I can't remember the last time we went out to dinner i think it was a year ago ....... so crazy
                      Jen Dx'd 5/11

Comment

Working...
                      X