Living arrangements for the disabled

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Living arrangements for the disabled

Hi all, something sparked by a thread about a handicapped woman stuck in an abusive relationship by what I can only imagine largely is related to income made me think.

What about a few people with MS hooking up and renting a modest apartment together? Not that we want roommates necessarily but even a meager disability check if multiplied by 4 in my area would result in only about $300 a month for an apartment in a decent area. Nothing fancy but far better than living with an abuser. Even things like doctors visits could be combined to share cab fare etc. In addition to help with the bills the social aspect could be beneficial also.

I have often wondered with single Mothers also why they didn't co-habitate, work different shifts and share child care costs in an effort to make ends meet while providing excellent in home care for their children.

I'm not saying this is ideal but sometimes life throws things our way that force us to adapt.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

What incentive you have Jules..great ideas.

My only concern from what I remember treating folks on SSI, is that when you live with others, they see this as "additional" income and reduce your benefits. For example, if a grown child on SSI, lives with parents, or others, they end up subtracting a portion of their meager benefit. Trust me, those on SSI are living BELOW the poverty level. My SSDI puts me in poverty level asl well.

People on T19 get a transportation benefit for doc appts. Riding in a cab could be shared..only.. most do not have $$ for cab fare..trust me.

Those folks who are poor, often live with others but are at risk for being evicted by inviting others to live with them who are not on the lease, plus it may violate building codes and the landlord gets into trouble. Many landlords look they other way as long as the RENT is paid.

Stil.. I LOVE your ideas..just wish it worked w/out getting penazlied.

Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Great thoughts and ideas. I have a family member who considered sharing an apartment but the landlord add an additional $100 a month rent if someone moves in. Something just doesn't sound right about that. It seems like sometimes there is no real way of winning. I'd for sure have a tough time living on just my income.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

That could work without affecting your income if you had a landlord that would work with you. Example: When our kid was in college she was in an apartment where all common areas were shared except for bedroom, they each had their own lease so each others income was not included when they applied for benefits like food stamps, just getting the landlord to work with you and not jacking the rent up.

At least living with others who know what you are going through don't think your a complainer and would be more compassionate

Comment

Originally posted by mjan View Post
          My only concern from what I remember treating folks on SSI, is that when you live with others, they see this as "additional" income and reduce your benefits. For example, if a grown child on SSI, lives with parents, or others, they end up subtracting a portion of their meager

Stil.. I LOVE your ideas..just wish it worked w/out getting penazlied.
          Jan

Interesting I hadn't heard of this obstacle and wonder how much they would take away? I can't imagine 4 disabled adults only bringing in about $48,000 a year from disability would allow any room for them to take money away.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Lendi View Post
            Great thoughts and ideas. I have a family member who considered sharing an apartment but the landlord add an additional $100 a month rent if someone moves in. Something just doesn't sound right about that. It seems like sometimes there is no real way of winning. I'd for sure have a tough time living on just my income.
            My guess as a landlord is they were rationalizing the more people in the place the more wear and tear potential. I have rented to roommates before and as long as they were all there and listed on the lease I don't care.

Hadn't thought of it but probably wouldn't add any extra if they wanted to add one later but in any event I would guess dividing an apartment even with an extra $100 a month is still way cheaper than paying rent on a place by yourself.
            Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
              There's ALWAYS room for them to take money away.
              Sad, but true. Or make you a felon if you find a way to make things realistically livable, while living in constant fear someone will find out and turn you in.

There are many out there that feel people who can't or don't work, regardless of the reason, deserve punishment and poverty. Nevermind, those are the same folks supporting the shipping of jobs overseas and squandering the country's wealth on reducing the population and dismantling government structures across the globe.

It's a sad, hate-filled country we live in.
              I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Originally posted by jumpinjiminy View Post
                Sad, but true. Or make you a felon if you find a way to make things realistically livable, while living in constant fear someone will find out and turn you in.

There are many out there that feel people who can't or don't work, regardless of the reason, deserve punishment and poverty. Nevermind, those are the same folks supporting the shipping of jobs overseas and squandering the country's wealth on reducing the population and dismantling government structures across the globe.

It's a sad, hate-filled country we live in.

AMEN!~remember this when voting next election cycle
                I believe in miracles~!
                2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky10
                  Sorry, folks. I didn't mean to turn this good thread into a political rant. My fault...please continue with the important subject at hand!
                  Ditto. I do think I'm the guilty party there.
                  I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
                  X