Question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question:

Anyone have any experience with MS and type 2 diabetes? I've had MS for 11 years and diabetes just popped up. Could use some help on this one.

Well Sort of........

I am diabetic, type-? wierd, seem more like atypical type-1, or 1b. (not a type-2) I had a problem with it at age 14, got better then again when I was 22, threatened but avoiding shots. Then I hit my 30s and hospitalized for diabetes...

STEROIDS ......... RAISE blood sugars, very common and more of a problem if you are diabetic, pre-diabetic or I guess it can bring diabetes on faster than it would have shown up otehrwise.

There are a FEW of us diabetics here. Me I have been thru hells a few times over it. My diabetes is in great control with MDI (multiple daily injectins/ shots). A lot has changed over the decades, the knowledge base and insulins are far better today.

Gomer Been there, done that.

Comment

Is it medications

Originally posted by af.ann.2000 View Post
      Anyone have any experience with MS and type 2 diabetes? I've had MS for 11 years and diabetes just popped up. Could use some help on this one.
      I've wondered how much medications play into this.

Steroids in particular make me wonder. If you do some research you find diabetes mentioned as a possibility to 'watch for' with some meds. A worry to say the least.

Diane
      You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

Type 2 diabetes here, too.

It's my understanding that there's no connection between MS itself and Type 2, but it is true that some of the medications we take may contribute to the onset of Type 2.

Comment

diabetes

My mother has extremely mild type 2 diabetes and has to be very careful about her meds, though she does not have MS.

She can't take steroids and I can't remember what other meds, but many meds make her sugar go wonky. If she isn't careful, her mild case can morph into a serious case of diabetes. If she is careful, she controls it by diet and exercise rather than needing insulin so far.

Comment

If you follow some of the diet theories, a poor diet leads to both.

In any case, diet will improve your diabetes and help wih MS symptoms.

As for steroids: I'm borderline and the steroids sent my blood sugar though the roof.

Comment

Working...
            X