Flying with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flying with MS

I hope I am posting this in the right place, I just wanted to know if anyone has heard that flying is a bad idea with a person with MS??

My son is in the military and will be graduating in a few weeks, I don't wanna miss it for anything, then I read someplace and I can't remember where...that flying was a "no no" when dx'd with MS.

If that is the case and one can not fly...why? hummmm...

Many Blessings,
    Angie
    Live Love Laugh

No
    As far as I know, flying has no effect on MS.

I flew with MS and my meds with no problem.

Comment

You'll be in an airplane, right?

Kidding, its not a problem. Of course, if you meant flying by flapping your arms that might pose a problem if you're dealling with fatigue.

Comment

I've flown a pretty great distance 2X since my DX and didn't have any problems. The worst was waiting around in the airport as I get bored easily which doesn't have anything to do with MS, of course.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Congratulations for you and your son. My son became a Marine in December and we flew to California for the ceremony. I, too, did not want to miss it. Request a wheelchair, even if you think you won't need it, get it. There is a lot of walking at the airport and it's exhausting, being in a wheelchair puts you (and your group) on a fast track through the concourse and security. I had no problem traveling with all my meds, including my rebif. However I have terrible vertigo and despite having enough meds in my system to knock out several horses, taking off and landing was extremely brutal. My husband said no more planes for me from now on we drive. Good Luck to you all. All in all the stress of having a child in the Military is worse than a plane ride.

Comment

I fly at least twice a yr to see dd and no problems. I have lots of medicine and shots of Rebif when I go. It is a direct flight but no problems. Congrats and good luck flying.

JudySz

Comment

Hi,

Congratulations on your sons great accomplishment. My son graduated from US Marine Boot Camp a year ago and it is something you definitely do not want to miss.

Concerning flying with MS...I had a career where I had to get on a plane twice a week. Once on Sunday or Monday to get to my project and then again at the end of the week to get home. Some trips were relatively close and some far... cross country.

I do not believe that flying will have an adverse effect on the progression of your MS or that it would induce any type of "relapse". My Neuro. and PCP were well aware of my schedule and never gave me any warnings concerning ill effects.

However, especially on long flights, it would cause spasms and increase spasticity. Think about it, your confined to a small seat in a small space for at least several hours?.

My approach was to pay the little additional fee for extra legroom and occasionally get up and walk around. I also made sure to have my meds. available..I.e Tramadol and/or Baclofen which always helped with my spasms and neuropathic twitches, etc.

Comment

I have flown Australia to Uk return twice since dx with no ill effects. The flights were 21 hrs each way (break in the middle of course to refuel). Meds were fine too. Just took a letter from my neuro each time.

Jo

Comment

Carry your meds on board with you. When you book your ticket, request wheelchair assistance so you won't have to wait in the long security lines. Make sure you take a few extra dollars so you can tip the people that get you to where you are going in the airport. This will help you conserve your energy.

Comment

I fly up to a dozen times a year and don't have any issues. You can take your meds on board as long as you have the pharmacy lable.

You should ask to pre-board. That's when they allow people who need a little extra time to get to their seat to get on the plane before anyone else. It makes getting to your seat a lot easier. If you need a wheelchair you can ask for one when you book your flight.

One thing I would suggest is to allow yourself more time between flights if you are making a connection, particularly at the big airports. Most airports have transports that will take you from gate to gate so you don't have to walk (assuming you aren't on a wheelchair) but you sometimes have to wait for them. Plus flights aren't always on time and you don't want to be in a position where you have to hurry from one end of the airport to the other to make your flight.

I always try to give myself 90 minutes between flights. If pressed I'll go as low as 60 minutes, then hope there isn't a delay.
                    Steve

Comment

Last year, when i was still walking better, I thought I would tough it out in the airports.
                      Boy, did I learn fast. i barely made it to the first flight, and when we got to the connecting airport, a girl was waiting at the gate with a cart in case someone needed it.

I must have looked bad, because she asked me if I needed a ride. I told her "I love you", tipped her well, and didn't walk through any more airports.

That taught me not to be afraid to ask.

Comment

I'm a very frequent flyer, elite level in several FF programs, and I have never had any trouble with my MS as a result of flying. In fact, I am working out west but flying to the est coast to see my neurologist now. Having finally found a good one, I am not about to change doctors just because I moved 2,000 miles away!

Since I am reasonably ambulatory, I book a wheelchair only occasionally. However, I allow plenty of time for getting to the airport and through security; then in case I need help, I have enough time to request a WC or cart last minute.

Definitely carry on all your medications with you - checked luggage gets lost all the time, and you don't want to be without them while your luggage is traced.

Everybody should get up and walk around from time to time on any long plane flight (more than 6 hours), as prolonged immobility can increase your risk of blood clots.

Comment

Nope!

I have flown six times since my dx last November. No issues here.
                          "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power
                          is made perfect in weakness." -2 Cor. 12:9

dx 11.23.10 RRMS

Comment

[QUOTE=hobbit;1303573] Request a wheelchair, even if you think you won't need it, get it. There is a lot of walking at the airport and it's exhausting, being in a wheelchair puts you (and your group) on a fast track through the concourse and security. [QUOTE]

I've flown more since my dx than before & I ALWAYS request a wheelchair. What Hobbit says is true but I would add that when you check in, make sure to request bulk head seats!! It allows you to be able to stretch. Also, if you have incontinence issues, wear the Depends!! It doesn't matter how bad you have to go, if that seatbelt sign is on they will not let you get up!! (I did it once before we taxi'd out & I'm surprised they didn't kick me off)

Definitely tip, the nicer you are to them, the more they're going to be willing to assist you & believe me, the word gets around! My daughter & I were waiting to see if we could get bulkhead seating & found out we couldn't so they ended up bumping us to 1st class!! I believe it was because I was polite & thanked them for at least trying!
                            "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"

Dx 2004, Copx, Rebif, Ty Beta- I'm done!!

Comment

Most definitely request the wheel chair. If wanted they will pick you up at arrival to the Airport, wheel you any place you need to go, even the restroom. Even if you think you will be able without the chair, you will find out that you do need it. In most Airports you do not tip the chair pushers, it will insult them and is against the rules. Engage them in pleasant conversation, it gives them a high point to their day to not have sad people.

Put all medication in your carry on, or 'purse' bag. A letter from your Doctor is meaningless by TSA rules, the original prescription label is what is wanted. In the Third World just stating something is 'Medication' will in most cases be enough to have them not even look at it. If your distance is long to your next gate or point they will push you to the nearest cart station where you will ride a cart from. It is very rare for them to not be in a good mood, so you should do your best to not bring them down.

You and your Companion will board at the same time or earlier than First Class, the Over Head is empty! You are limited to one Companion at all check points of any type. They will not let a group through with you, if you press on this point you may have a very long day waiting to speak to every Supervisor they can think of.

If you normally use a cane, with the aisle so narrow you will probably not need it on the Plane, lots of seats to steady yourself with. If you think you will need the Rest Room, try and choose a seat near it and on the aisle. No matter where you sit you will be first to board and last to deplane.

Compression socks are a very good idea, helps prevent DVT Blood clots from being in a confined place for a long time. Only cost a few bucks and your legs will thank you for them.

I have flown a number of times, to many places in the World and have never had a problem. The only problems have been small, Third World, Airports that don't have Jet Ways, steps. If you can climb the steps the cabin crew will carry your carry on up the steps and too your seat and will be very nice about it, remember a Smile carries a lot of Weight.
                              Bill
                              Scuba, true meaning of Life! USS Wilkes Barre 91, USS Monitor 96, 97, 99 .. Andrea Doria 96, 98 .. San Francisco Maru 09

Comment

Working...
                              X