service dog?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

service dog?

Has anyone here tried a service dog? If so, how does it help and how do you get one?
    dx 7/2002 - on Rebif since dx...just changed to Copaxone 1/2011

"There is a difference between acceptance and approval"

Different service dogs do different things.

Some dogs alert to specific noises for people that are deaf..some dogs assist in walking..I have met people who have registered service dogs that help with anxiety due to PTSD (altho I don't know how that works)

What do you want the dog to do for you?

j
    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

My service dog Najee

I got my service dog Najee just over a year ago. He has been a real god send for me. The things that he does for me are very simple. When ever I drop something he will pick it up for me. When I can't reach my shoes in the morning he gets them for me. When I am laying in bed and realize I forgot to close the door or turn off the lights, he will do those things for me.

The major improvement in my life with Najee is just that he is there. I was living by myself when I got him and he gives me a reason to get up in the morning. He needs to go out to potty, needs to get fed, and needs to get his exercise (my scooter is great for this). The best part about Najee is that he is always there for me whenever I need him. He always does whatever is asked of him. Whether I need something or if I just need a friend he is there.

There are several organizations that provide service dogs and the one I used was CCI (Canine Companions for Independence). It is a very involved application process that can take up to 6 months. Then after you are approved it can be a 6 month to 2 year waiting period. The best part about CCI is that is completely free. The service dog, your two week training at their facility, your tools for working with the dog are all provided by CCI which is completely funded by private donations. You can check them out at CCI.org.

If you are at all interested I would definitely check them out. After all the worst thing that they could say is no.

Comment

thanks for the responses! I want one for companionship and help me when I drop stuff 'cause bending down has proved dangerous.

Comment

Wondering

I'm wondering if the dog I have already could be trained? Does anyone know of something like this?
          Diagnosis: May, 2008
          Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Service Dogs

You may like to try Assistance Dogs International, as well as American Dog Trainers Network.

Hope these help!
            Lolli_pOP
            Creative Center Director
            Content Management Director
            Social Media Administrator

Comment

Thank you, I just wrote to the first one...

Comment

Also consider Canine Assistants. The organization was started by a woman with MS.

Comment

Thank you...even though your name is Redwings and I'm from Colorado LOL

Comment

Check with the laws in your state. In our state some dogs can be certified (owner dogs) depending on what they do for you.
                    Diagnosed with MS spring 2010; Still loving life

Comment

Service dogs versus therapy dogs

My daughter (does nt have MS) had a German Shepherd that became her service dog when she was in high school and college. She started having spells where she would faint and be slow to regain conciousness. Nikki, the dog, knew when she was going down and would take her hand in his mouth and tug. If she didn't pay attention he would jump up on her (which he never did - he weighed more than she did). Failing everything to get her attention he would literally knock her down and then stand over her so she couldn't get up and sniff of her head. It was amazing.

Some dogs have a natural ability to do this. Dogs can be trained as therapy dogs but it costs 10's of thousands of dollars. You could train your own if you have tons of patience and a dog with the right temperment. Service dogs cannot bark when they are out with you, grab food, must be able to sit, lay down and other commands instantly, and must be of a calm disposition. But even with the basics most dogs just aren't going to go the distance.

Dogs like our Nkki, howver are allowed the same legal standing as any service dog. I don't know about the laws in other states but in Texas a landlord or another person with an interest cannot even ask you for papers or anything that certifies the dog as a service/therapy dogs. Landlords cannot disallow a service/therapy dog and they cannot charge pet deposits.

My daughter grew up to be a licensed counselor and is a licensed therapy dog handler. She has given seminars on therapy dogs and has one dog in training now. She had a pug that was her therapy dog, but she died last summer. Her dear Nikki passed away 3 years ago at 14 - a very old age for a large breed. I would give anything to find another dog like Nikki.

Comment

Get a service dog!

Jazzy is one of the best things that has ever happened to me. That sounds really strong, but it's the truth. She's always there when I need a listening ear, never judges me, and is always happy to see me; not to mention that in the three years we've been together I've never overslept. She's also good physical therapy for me; I brush her every day, and since she's a Lab, there's a lot of dog there to brush. She also loves a good total-body scratch a couple times a day during allergy season. I have to regularly brush her teeth, clean her ears and file her nails (much easier that clipping them). I can no longer bathe her, but she hates water anyway so I like to let someone else be the bad guy.
                        Some of the things she's been trained to do for me include picking up things I drop, bringing me the phone, opening and closing drawers and the refrigerator, giving my money or credit card to a cashier, helping with laundry, turning lights on or off, pushing the thing to open automatic doors, putting my legs up in bed for me, and taking my socks off (her favorite). I've also taught her to bring me my shoes and she is very protective of me while working at my store or when we're out in public anyplace. She gives me more confidence to do the things I want to do.
                        One of the really big things these dogs do is social. People are afraid to approach a person in a wheelchair, but they will stop to talk about a dog anytime. Two words of caution: make sure you plan your outings with lots of extra time built into your schedule because a lot of people will talk to you, some for quite a while. The second thing is don't allow very many people to pet your dog...he/she might stop listening to you. I had to partially retrain Jazzy when this happened and have since heard of it happening to others.
                        Whether you're "looking so good" or are in a wheelchair full-time, consider getting a service dog. They are expensive to care for (premium food, regular vet bills, etc.) and there may be other considerations in your individual situation, but your dog will be the silver lining on the dark cloud of illness.

Comment

service dog training

I did some searching online and found these people in Seattle. I know it's not near where you live (Illinois?) but they might have some ideas about trainers closer to where you live. Looks like they will train your pet to be a service or companion dog if you need one.
                          http://servicedogacademy.com/wp/

I would encourage you to get a service dog if you need one, or train your own pet if it works out. My brother was in a wheelchair and had a service dog for eleven years, best thing that ever happened to him.

Comment

Working...
                          X