Are you having problems with fatigue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are you having problems with fatigue?

I see a lot of people posting about fatigue lately, so I wanted to share what has helped me and a lot of others. (I hope this doesn't get moved to the nutrition board, as I think more people who need it read the general board.)

I used to suffer with horrible, debilitating fatigue that left me feeling like my battery had been totally drained. Trying to do anything was exhausting, even combing my hair was an ordeal.

In September of 2009, I read a post by someone here (I can't remember who, but I bless the day I read that post) regarding alpha lipoic acid (ALA) and acetyl L-carnitine (ALC). I did some research and found several studies which have shown that both of these anti-oxidants have been found to alleviate fatigue in MS, chronic fatigue syndrome and is being studied in cases of cancer fatigue and old age. (They are also studies which say they help in the treatment of MS itself as well.)

I tried them both, and the rest, as they say, is history. I noticed an immediate improvement in my energy levels, though it took about a month to see the full effects. I now can do all of the things I did before, including shopping at multiple stores (before, just one store would wear me out and that was with using the electric carts). I can babysit my six grandkids with no problems, go on a hike with them (2 miles, mostly uphill) and then go shopping afterwards, I can work 12+ hour days with no problem. It has been just amazing. I have gotten my life back! Others have also tried them and had good results. (Just do a search on this site for either of the supplements and you'll find a lot of information about them.)

If you do decide to try them, you need to be sure to check with your doctor first, especially if you are taking any thyroid or diabetes medications, as they can increase the effects of these meds, which could cause problems. (These meds would need to be adjusted and monitored if you do decide to take ALA and ALC.)

Also, the theraputic doesage is 1,000 to 2,000 mg of ALC and 200 to 400 mg of ALA daily (and you have to be sure to take it daily). Also, it can take up to a month to feel the full effects, so if it doesn't work at first, don't give up. (You might also want to add a good B complex with it.)

Good luck and hugs!

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Dr. Elliot Frohman, prominent MS neurologist, recommends that his patients take 400 mg of Alpha Lipoic Acid + 1000 mg of Acetyl L-Carnitine daily to combat fatigue.

BTW, Alpha Lipoic Acid is better absorbed (more effective) when taken on an empty stomach.

Comment

I am going to neuro on Wed. I will be sure to ask. I am so tired of being tired all the time.

JudySz

Comment

I take both of theses and have noticed a marked improvement in my energy level!
        DX 10/2008
        Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
        Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
        Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I AM RECEIVING TREATMENT AT DR FROMANS MS CLINIC IN DALLAS AND HAVE NOT BEEN TOLD OF THIS COMBO YET BUT I GO IN JULY AND WILL ASK ABOUT IT. ANYTHING TO HELP THIS DRAINED FEELING!
          Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain! Diagnosed '99. And still learning about this disease!

Comment

It's been working for me

I have been taking half of the amount (mgs) recommended here and it's been working well for me. When stamina is good strength improves as well
            [I]Tellnhelen
            Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

I've been taking (2) 1,000 ALC w/200 ALA every day and have noticed that I feel more energetic. I still get tired more easily than I used to but it's not the same as the body/mind numbing fatigue I had. I would definately recommend trying this if you're having problems with fatigue.

Comment

I took them a few months ago, and felt it helped...then got away from it.
                Lately I have been feeling more tired every day, so I just started taking them again.
                I'll see how it goes after a month or so.

Comment

FWIW, the brand Dr. Frohman recommends is from Bronson Labs, "Acetyl L-Carnitine with Alpha-Lipoic Acid" 500 mg/200 mg, recommended dosage 2 tablets/day. I don't know if it's available in stores; I got mine online directly from the maker.

I'm sure there are other good brands out there too, although the dosage may vary from maker to maker.

Comment

I get my supplements from Puritan's Pride. They often have a buy one, get one free sale (a few weeks ago, they had a buy one, get two free sale!)

For those out there who haven't tried these supplements yet, what have you got to lose? But again, be sure to discuss them with your doctor, especially if you are taking diabetes or thyroid medications. Always better to be safe than sorry!
                    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
                    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

Bumping this up for those who might need it.

Comment

Much Appreciated

Thanks Shashi & thanks to everyone else who shared their positive results. I am so fatigued that I find it difficult simply typing. I haved moved this info to # 1 on to do list. Thanks again and God Bless
                        Shalom, Suz
                        You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

thanks for this tip...I will try the ALA and ALC.. thanks
                          Susan......... Beta Babe since 1994....I did improve "What you see depends on where you're standing" from American Prayer by Dave Stewart

Comment

thanks for this info!! i have been feeling extremely fatigued the past couple of days to the point where feeding the dog is a huge chore!! i have blamed it on the heat, but i have the ac on and have been in the pool to cool off.

i am seeing the neuro on monday and will be sure and bring it up!!
                            Symptoms-Fall 2003, Dx'd June 2010, Copaxone July 2010

Comment

Bumping this up again for anyone who might need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X