MS and Mercury Fillings/Root Canals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS and Mercury Fillings/Root Canals

Okay, so today I had someone tell me that I may have an infection in one of my filled cavities or root canals and that it could mimic MS... Has anyone heard about this before? As a newly diagnosed MSer, I would like to believe that it would be auch a quick fix. But my Neuro tested for EVERYTHING - infection, Lyme, etc before giving me the DX so how could an infection in a tooth be missed?

Yeah, and someone told me that if I would just stop using aspartame (Equal) sweetener, I'd get better. Not.

Comment

IMO.. for what little its worth......

IF a very thorough workup was done to arrive at the MS, I doubt the teeth are the issue, however like everything MS, its CARVED in STONE...(not), maybe very soft stone?............lol

Gomer

Comment

An infection of any type could cause what's known as a pseudo-exacerbation (a temporary worsening of symptoms that lasts until its cause has been removed and the body able to recuperate) and upper respiratory infections have been known to trigger a relapse,but you would have to have MS in the first place.

As far as it being the cause of your symptoms and not MS, no. If you've had a proper, thorough work up by a good neuro, you can feel confident about the dx. To be honest, though, a neuro isn't checking out your teeth. Just kidding!

I'll give you a warning. You will hear, from now until the end of time, that "X" is the real cause of your problems and you could be fine if you just dealt with that. I've been told everything from cola to artificial sweeteners to grilled meat to pre-marital co-habitating was the real cause of my trouble.

It sounds cold, but try not to listen to people who are trying to help. You have to develop a filter and learn whose/what advice is accurate and trustworthy. People are trying to be thoughtful and really do want to help. That's a great thing, but if they don't know what they're talking about, until you know more about your particular version of MS, it will only cause confusion, doubt and maybe a little anxiety. Knowing that your friend's next door neighbor's college roommate is doing great with their MS because they don't drink Diet Coke is not going to help you.

Listen to your doctor first and foremost. Take friends' advice on MS with a grain of salt, a smile and a "Thanks, I'll ask my doctor about that. "

Comment

If I hear one more person telling me Diet Coke is the cause of all my problems, I'll pour a bottle of it over their head and tell them I feel better all ready.

Comment

Just ask'em why MS has been around for over 100 years and there was no diet soda back then. Then ask'em how come all people with infected teeth don't have MS.
            Then, ask why people who have never had a cavity still get MS. I would also ask the know-it -alls why MS is notorious for appearing in the early-to late twenties, whereas Lyme-carrying ticks can infect anyone at any age. I've been rehearsing a phrase in my head; goes something like this ( but I'm not brave enough to try it out yet LOL): Oh, I know YOU ! You work in my Doctor's office, THAT's why you know so much about my disease !

Sorry; feeling testy tonight !! But sometimes ya gotta just shake your head at people and wonder if they listen to their own blather.
            spring

Comment

Originally posted by DougieTaco View Post
              Okay, so today I had someone tell me that I may have an infection in one of my filled cavities or root canals and that it could mimic MS... Has anyone heard about this before? As a newly diagnosed MSer, I would like to believe that it would be auch a quick fix. But my Neuro tested for EVERYTHING - infection, Lyme, etc before giving me the DX so how could an infection in a tooth be missed?
              I have read that there is a link with mercury fillings and MS.
              It is something I want to have removed asap myself.
              It might not be related, but I don't want to take any chances and leave them in.

Comment

That whole Mercury Amalgam conspiracy theory got shot down a couple of years ago by the FDA or NIH.
                Anyone can run a study, the problem is that it also has to pass peer review. This one didn't before it became one of those "Everything you know or think is wrong" stories that became popular with the advent of e-mail.

Comment

Originally posted by DougieTaco View Post
                  I have heard about the mercury fillings many times before. I had the mercury fillings removed not because I believed it caused my MS but it just looks so much better now ;
                  and Oh BTW I still have MS.

Take good care!
                  "Irrespective of what happened yesterday or last year, and what may or may not happen tomorrow, the present moment is where you are-always!"
                  Richard Carlson, PH.D.

Comment

mercury

My guess is that they might have been referring to mercury poisoning. It causes neurological symptoms that may look like MS, but wouldn't actually be MS. I'd probably have the mercury filling replaced with something else, but I would not expect a huge change if already diagnosed with MS. Even if symptoms go away or diminish, you won't necessarily be able to say it was the mercury because it may just be a that the MS has gone into "remission" temporarily.

Comment

Originally posted by Thinkimjob View Post
                      If I hear one more person telling me Diet Coke is the cause of all my problems, I'll pour a bottle of it over their head and tell them I feel better all ready.
                      I hear the same thing about Diet Pepsi! And all the other evil things that diet pepsi is supposed to cause. Tell you what, we should both get a case of them, and dump them all over all the people that have told us that!
                      Diagnosis: May, 2008
                      Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Yup - I've had people to tell me to stop drinking diet soda -- I have NEVER had a diet soda - I hate the taste.

I have people tell me to get checked for Lyme -- I have been.

I had someone tell me I have a gluten intolerance and should go on a gluten-free diet.

I usually just nod my head and say something like "Thanks for the information. I'll take a look into that."

Comment

I got my MS from my tattoo!!! Seriously people Apparently they got their stupid from tap water or free air
                          "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."~ Roger Caras

Comment

I don't have any tattoos or mercury fillings or drink soda (diet or otherwise) -- does that mean I don't really have this MonSter?!
                            DX 10/2008
                            Beta Babe 12/2008-07/2013
                            Tecfidera 07/2013-01/2018
                            Aubagio 01/18-09/20

Ocrevus 09/20-present

Comment

I have a mouth full of mercury fillings and personally I think the "shot down" of the MS/mercury connection was so everybody and their brother who has them can't sue anybody. It is poison in your mouth. And don't pour your diet drink over my head, but they caused my daughter to have seizures. No more aspertame - no more seizures.

I got MS from being the middle child.

Comment

Working...
                              X