Staying cool in a power outage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Staying cool in a power outage

I live in East TN and this past week, we've had some very scary storms that have done a lot of damage. Last night, around midnight, there were tornadoes in my area, and I spent part of the night crouched in my bathtub in the dark as the storms went over because the power went out again. (Twice this week.)

We finally got power back about 8 a.m., but some folks in our area haven't had power since Tuesday night's storm went through. I'm scared that one of these times, ours will stay off for days like that too. It's bad when it does go off because it's 80-90 degrees plus outside.

I have a small fan with a water mister. In order to stay cool, I misted myself and my sheets with water, then turned the fan on and left it on while I tried to sleep after the storms passed over. It actually worked pretty well to keep me cool. I'm also looking to buy a larger battery powered fan that Walmart sells for around $23. (I went to the store to get it today, but they didn't have it, so I'm ordering it online.)

I wanted to post this for anyone who might get stuck without power like this to let you know that there are ways to stay cool, and that those little fans can run for hours if you have fresh batteries in them (I had to change the batteries once during the night.)

Are there any other ideas for staying cool when the power's out? (I'm really hoping we're done with these scary storms for awhile!)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Your basement is usually the coolest area of the house.
    Its also the safest unless we're talking about flooding.

Have you checked into getting a portable generator installed? A good 5 kilowatt generator is enough to keep the basics going as long as you understand that you won't be running it continously.

The power grid out here in the mid west has been pretty stable but I had some experience with this stuff back east. We wound up getting a gas powered 5 KW unit plus the wiring changes for the house (be sure an electrician installs the wiring and don't try to run power into the house without the updated wiring).

There's a bunch more stuff you would never think about (your refridgerator and freezer/s are very important) until you need it.

Comment

Ice packs! Obviously not a long term solution, but they're great for if your power goes out for a few hours. I always have my freezer stocked with them so I can cuddle up to an icepack and cool myself off when I feel like I'm overheating. Love 'em!
      I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Water storage is important, and the one thing I typically neglect. We've been having longer power outages in the last year than ever before, and it's mighty inconvenient not to have some water on hand in those instances. Once it's out, the stores usually sell out of it. We're on a well, so when the power is gone, so is the water.

This is a very good topic, Lisa. Thanks for making me think about this. I've got some water stored now for drinking.

Would you happen to have a google search term (name) for the fan you have. I'd love to have one of those when I work out.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Nevermind. I found searching on misting fans.

I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

We live in hurricane country, so we have to be prepared for power outages. Since we have a generator to use after a huricane to keep the frig/freezer running, we also decided to buy a small window air conditioner which can run off the generator. We've used it a couple times when we've lost power for one reason or another, and it does a good job keeping one room cool, so that's where I hang out when the power's off and it's hot.

Comment

I wish I could get a generator, but I live in an apartment building and am not sure I could do that. It sure would be nice though.

I remember in Florida, I had put together an emergency kit with flashlights, batteries, candles, matches, canned foods that don't have to be heated (tuna, beans, oh and peanut butter) and a can opener, a first aid kit, a plastic tarp, a small blanket, and some personal items like a toothbrush, toothpaste, etc. I put it all in a big bucket that could be used for water. I think I'm going to put another one together, just in case. I found a list last night of stuff to go into a kit at the Red Cross site with ideas of other things to add. Not a bad idea to have these days! I could keep in in the bathroom next to the tub, since that's where I'd be in case a tornado goes through. And of course, I'll add my little fan to it too.

Thanks for the great ideas on how to stay cool. I need to get some ice packs too. And I did fill up some gallon jugs with water, even though our water isn't on a pump. But you never know when it might get contaminated or something, so it's always good to have.

Now, I just pray that since I'm prepared, we'll have no more storms like that!
              Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
              Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I just picked up a cooling mat at Walgreen's today for $20. It seems to work pretty well considering the price. It does not require refrigeration or electricity in any way. The box said that it was a Walgreen's exclusive item and they are kept by the heating pads.

I am hoping that it will allow me to enjoy more of the 4th of July weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by katvar View Post
                  I just picked up a cooling mat at Walgreen's today for $20. It seems to work pretty well considering the price. It does not require refrigeration or electricity in any way. The box said that it was a Walgreen's exclusive item and they are kept by the heating pads.

I am hoping that it will allow me to enjoy more of the 4th of July weekend.
                  Hmm, I'll have to check that out. Sounds like a great item to have!

Comment

Staying Cool in a power outage

Thank you all. These are very helpful posts. Thank you all

Comment

You know every few months I get a big box of Copaxone in the mail and i keep all the freezer packs (4 most of the time) and when the power goes out I use them.

I also used the car the last time the power went out for more than 24hrs. LOL! I was lucky to have gas in the car and sat there with it running.

I don't know how I would've made it without the ice packs and the ac in the car.
                      Dx MS Aug 2010 (after 2 years of searching)
                      Started Copaxone Aug. 2010

Comment

Originally posted by angelpach View Post
                        You know every few months I get a big box of Copaxone in the mail and i keep all the freezer packs (4 most of the time) and when the power goes out I use them.

I also used the car the last time the power went out for more than 24hrs. LOL! I was lucky to have gas in the car and sat there with it running.

I don't know how I would've made it without the ice packs and the ac in the car.
                        You'd be amazed how many people don't think of this.

RDMC- Hoo ah! We should trade generator stories sometime.

BTW, one more tip if you're in an area prone to power outages: A chest type freezer will hold the cold longer (much longer) than a stand-up type.

Comment

Angel, I thought about getting in the car to keep cool when we had that first round of bad storms on Tuesday, but I was totally out of gas to the point that the empty-indicator light was on! And of course, with the power out, there were no gas stations open near enough to get to.

Now I have a full tank of gas, I'm keeping my cell phone charged too, plus I have lots of batteries, candles, and other stuff. Murphy's Law says that since I'm now well prepared, we'll not be having any more bad storms. I hope so, anyway! LOL!!

Comment

An LED flashlight or lantern is a must.
                            You get hours and hours (at least 24) of light off a set of batteries.
                            The tech has gotten much better and the price has dropped.
                            Just check the Outdoors/Fishing section of your big box store.
                            Candles are good, but there's a slight fire hazard plus you're adding heat to the room.

Comment

Working...
                            X