What does it mean?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What does it mean?

Hi! I had a recent MRI because of some "new" symptoms I have been having. The result showed
    "with regard to lesions in Cervical Spine, there is evidence of increased size and extent of numerous cervical plaques when compared.... There is a (then it says where the lesions are - listing 3) and a fairly extensive linear lesion at. .... which is increased from the prior exam. None are enhancing at this time."

Translation anyone? I had a neuro appt scheduled for end of July and when speaking with them yesterday, they want to see me sooner to discuss... So I am going Thursday. I have to admit - I am alarmed that they want to see me sooner, but comforted by the fact that it is ok to wait until next week - but am just curious about what's up?

Hello Carolyn I cannot offer any advice on your MRI but I am from the B.R. area too and was wondering who you neuro. is?
    Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
    Babe Ruth

Comment

I just had an MRI where a third lesion in cervical spine. My dr. Is very concerned because this is the smallest/narrowest part of the spinal cord. This means that even small lesions can affect us greatly. All messages from your brain need to got through this area.

I have significant loss of sensation and spasticity in my left hand and my right hand is starting to go as well. Do you have any hand problems?
      Melissa Goerke
      [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Originally posted by carolynj View Post
        and a fairly extensive linear lesion at. .... which is increased from the prior exam. None are enhancing at this time."
        Hello carolynj,

MS does not, to the best of my knowledge, cause "extensive linear lesion(s). However, this is seen in Neuromyelitis Optica (NMO) (aka Devics Disease).

MSWorld has some members with NMO who can and will () correct any information I may give about NMO or if I am even correct in my assumption.

NMO is not MS and is treated differently then MS...you cannot have both NMO and MS. There is a blood test that can be given. The blood work is sent to the Mayo Clinic.

Below are a couple of URLs that explain NMO.

http://www.myelitis.org/nmo.htm

http://www.mayoclinic.org/neuromyeli...diagnosis.html

If you start a new thread asking about NMO and giving the MRI information it will probably get the attention of those with NMO. I know they would be willing to give you more information.
        Diagnosed 1984
        “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

Hi carolyn:
          Most of what you shared about your MRIs means pretty much what it says.

increased size and extent = bigger
          numerous = many
          cervical = part of the spinal cord in the neck and upper back
          plaques = lesions

None are enhancing means that none of the lesions took up the contrast dye, which signifies that the lesions were not actively inflammatory at the time of the MRI.

It means that the many spinal cord lesions you had before have gotten bigger, including the linear one.

What isn't clear is what "fairly extensive" means in regard to the linear lesion because there aren't any measurements given. Often a large lesion is measured and described in millimeters or centimeters, or a cord lesion is described by how many vertebral segments it crosses. The portion of the report you shared also doesn't specify whether it's a lateral lesion or medial or transverse. Without more descriptive information, it's not possible to say much more about it.

Linear lesions can and do occur in MS. Lesions large enough to cause transverse myelitis can and do occur in MS. Whether yours resembles a lesion more typical of MS or more suggestive of NMO will have to be determined by your doctor.

Your neuro wants to see you sooner than July because you have several lesions that are worse than they were in your last MRI. That shows that your MS is more active than is typical and your neuro doesn't want to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Redwings View Post
            Linear lesions can and do occur in MS. Lesions large enough to cause transverse myelitis can and do occur in MS.
            Thank you, Redwings. I had not thought of Transverse Myelitis.
            Diagnosed 1984
            “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

As always - thanks for the replies!

Mgoerke - my hands...... weakness and numbness would be my issues. But I never knew what to attribute them to - MS or Carpal Tunnel (which I have been diagnosed with).

Redwings - I am happy to give more info ..... I thought I didn't want to over load anyone else with the details!
              "5 mm lesion present at C3-4, 5mm lesion present at C4-5 and a fairly extensive linear lesion at C5-6 measuring approximately 8 x 15 mm in size which is increased from prior exam. There is no abnormal enhancement seen within the cervical cord or plaques following contrast administration. The craniocervical junction is normal."

I googled transverse myelitis. There was a lot of information but what grabbed me was a statement "
              Some patients have also described the feeling of their abdominal area being in a binder." One of the "new symptoms" I called her about was tightness around my ribs/abdomen area. Interesting....

Thanks again - I like to have a preview of options before I go to the doc so I might have SOME knowledge about what she might say!

Comment

Working...
              X