Janice Dean newscaster out with MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Janice Dean newscaster out with MS

Who saw Janice Dean on the Today show this morning? I thought it was a nice segment but felt like telling Dr. Nancy Snyderman to shove that "length of life is not altered" line where the sun doesn't shine.

That is NOT a comfort if our life is in the crapper, Nancy!

Maybe people just say things like this but I'm skeptical just how "if it went away tomorrow I'd be ok with it" Nancy Dean would actually be if she lost her career. Her family is beautiful and that is wonderful but I for one would sure as **** will be bitter if/when I have to give up the career I love and financially supports me because of MS.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    Anonymous

On the plus side: I always think that it is a good thing when public figures 'come out' and bring awareness to MS.

On the negative end: Dr. Snyderman had apparently not done much research about MS and treatments - she talked about 'boosting' the auto immune system. Last thing we need ...
    'MM' = Marion with Espe, Trusty & in Loving Memory of Madeleine

* Another Beta Babe Since 2007 *

Comment

You'd think a show as big as the Today Show would get their facts straight.

I was, just yesterday, trying to think of all the "famous" people who have MS and have talked about it. I wonder how much their speaking up has helped get research going. There are many diseases that are really not getting any funding to try and figure them out.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Well I did not see the piece but from what you have said I think she was making reference to "longevity of life". I would hope she knows the impact MS has on the patient and their families.
        Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
        Babe Ruth

Comment

Originally posted by Waydwnsouth1 View Post
          I think she was making reference to "longevity of life". I would hope she knows the impact MS has on the patient and their families.
          She was and I'm just tired of that sorry excuse for a line as if that would make being bedridden and incontinent an acceptable second prize.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

link for the interview, I think it was one of the better ones so far that I have seen,

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/304142...ealth#43493422
            Plan for the future, but not too hard; it’s not your decision anyway

Comment

The intent was to bring a message of hope and awareness, and I appreciate that part of it. I agree with all the comments above, there was a bit of misinformation from the doc. The comment that you can have a big life (I suppose that meant full life), but you need to take better care of yourself.......wish that was all there was to it! That was a little misleading too.

I agree with how a diagnosis can alter your priorities and change what is important. While I do appreciate more, I also grieve the losses.....sigh.......

Comment

I agree that is is important to make people aware of this desease, but now everyone I know will wonder why I always feel so ******. I am glad there are people who can stay positive and I do need to hear that once in awhile, but again most of us do not make the kind of money she does and have to struggle daily with not only ms sx but financial worries, etc.

JudySz

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                  She was and I'm just tired of that sorry excuse for a line as if that would make being bedridden and incontinent an acceptable second prize.
                  But we are not going to die from it so no big deal???

That type of attitude does seem to dismiss how much of our lives is actually gone.
                  Perhaps only half dead is nothing to complain about?

WooHoo! I,m number two!!!
                  Do these Depends make my butt look fat?

Comment

Today show did a ghastly editing of her interview, and that video with the sorrowful music and in black and white made it look like she had passed away.

I found two much better 5min. interviews.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c89SXYWfpZM

http://video.foxnews.com/v/4064487/l...ylist_id=87249

She is not an expert but her story is interesting and I fully understand her viewpoint.
                    Because every MSers’ experience is unique, I think we need not judge her badly.
                    Just because her experience is not the same as yours, does not make her experience not a proper MS experience.
                    Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Jules A View Post
                      I thought it was a nice segment but felt like telling Dr. Nancy Snyderman to shove that "length of life is not altered" line where the sun doesn't shine.

That is NOT a comfort if our life is in the crapper, Nancy!
                      NO DOUBT! I get to spend the 2nd half of my life being carried around in an Easter Basket!!!!! HOORAY!
                      Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                        Do these Depends make my butt look fat?
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
                        Tawanda

Comment

#2? Pretty accurate label!

Originally posted by tommylee View Post
                          WooHoo! I,m number two!!!
                          Having M.S. definately makes me feel like "number 2", and that ain't no joke!
                          Tawanda

Comment

Wow this thread has sure riled up some loud sentiment. I asked a coworker today if he knew how many times a day I lie? He laughed and asked how many? I said everytime someone asks how I feel! Sometimes these journalistic pieces put the wrong spin on MS. I will swap places with that journalist for 48 hours and then let them write their piece!
                            Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                            Babe Ruth

Comment

I wish...

After viewing the Today Show piece today. It seems that I have been treating this MS thing all wrong. I should just eat better, exercise and boost my auto-immune system. If it were just that simple and all the advice was accurate, I wouldn't need to be trying to adjust to whatever my normal is for the day.
                              I'm happy that Janice is doing as well as she says. But the struggles with MS are very real. The story made me feel as if I should just pull myself up and let the world and myself only see the positives. I'll get right on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X