When to apply for SSDisability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When to apply for SSDisability

I was wondering when to apply for these benefits. I'm 43 and had worked with the same company for 10 yrs. Before I was diagnosed I was having memory issues, falling asleep at my desk. I also would have to call someone to remind how to do my job! (embarrising), because I was always forgetting what data went where. Anyway, I am always lighthead, dizzy and sometimes can hardly get around because of my legs. I find myself falling asleep at a moments notice, which isn't good in the job world. My neuro took me out of work in Feb and still can't return to work according to the neuro. I have had no income since. My poor husband has been trying to do it all and its really taking a toll on us financially. I was denied my short term disability for some ODD reason by dear ole METLIFE. Any suggestions?? Sorry this is so long.

I`D APPLY NOW!!!! ASK YOUR NEURO IF HE/SHE SUPPORTS THE IDEA, AS THAT WILL BE IMPORTANT. MY E MAIL IS LISTED IN MY PROFILE IF YOU WANT.

DAVE
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Yes; I'd apply now. Your doctor will need to be able to say that the disability that does not allow you to work will last at least a year. Since it appears that you are talking about residual symptoms, and not just symptoms that occur during a flare, I would guess that you might meet those requirements.

~ Faith
      ~ Faith
      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

i would apply now, i also would get a lawyer although i did not use one and it only took one appeal , i am pretty sure it would of went alot smoother

Comment

Thanks for everyone's input. I've been out of work since Feb and this is the 2nd neuro that told me not to go back to work due to the MS complications. So I guess I will apply really soon. Again, thanks to all that has given me advice.

Comment

Originally posted by tweet067 View Post
            Thanks for everyone's input. I've been out of work since Feb and this is the 2nd neuro that told me not to go back to work due to the MS complications. So I guess I will apply really soon. Again, thanks to all that has given me advice.
            Hi Tweet,

If your neurologists both say you should not go back to work and you feel you shouldn't then please file ASAP.

I'm a world class procrastinator and let pride stand in my way for too long.

I ignored the urgings of my neuro for too many years. Fortunately I had enough savings to live off of but I AM STILL waiting to be approved bu the bureaucracy. I now have the assistance of a lawyer who is working on my appeal after being denied (a common response in some states as budgets tighten).

The process can literally take YEARS so being proactive is the only advice I can give. Don't wait. You earned any benefits you have coming and there are time limits to eligibility based on your work history. Time flies.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for your posts. Regarding the MetLife claim, you could speak with an attorney who practices in the area of ERISA law. If you want help in your Social Security disability claim, there are a number of resources out there when you can find competent representation.

Rich
              Attorney Richard Feingold concentrates his law practice in helping disabled individuals obtain the monthly Social Security disability benefits and health insurance that they need to survive. Although based in Chicago, Illinois, Rich helps disability claimants nationwide. He has been answering posts in this forum since June 11, 2003. Twitter handle: @RichFeingold.

Comment

Working...
              X