Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any stories about returning to work after Dx?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any stories about returning to work after Dx?

I am hoping to read some encouraging stories of people getting back to work after their initial symptoms forced them out of their jobs. I was unable to preform my job duties (caregiver) when the first symptoms appeared and was forced to quit.

I am trying to be positive about my chances of getting to work again. I am sick of staying at home doing nothing. Can anyone share stories of remission of symptoms after longer that a few months or getting back to work? Everything I seem to read is about people having to give up jobs, not getting back to them.

Returning to work

I'm a 61 yr old male. I was originally diagnosed with RRMS in 1996. That neuro basically told me to to try and get on SSDI and "get my affairs in order." I had spent the previous 18 years in the logging industry in the mountains of N Calif. Towards the end of the 18th year, the weakness and pronounced foot drop in my left leg minimized my chances of survival in that industry, so I got involved in the Ca Dept of Rehabilitation, who helped me go back to school to get a teaching credential, so that I could pursue a more "sedentary and less physically demanding" profession. Ha Ha! To make a long story short, I did get a teaching credential (I already had a BA, making it so much more doable). I got a job teaching 2nd and 3rd grade for 11 years, and then for the past 3 years, was the Superintendent/Principal at the same small school. I will be retiring at the end of this month. I was lucky enough to do what I had always wanted to do-teach little kids- compliments of MS. I will be 62 in August. My three words of advice: Help Others- Volunteer.

Comment

I was dx in 2001 after years of symptoms. I was put on Avonex right away and it was a bad ride for me. Couldn't tell if it was the MS rolling along or if it was the meds. So, I requested to go part time at a job I had for 16 years. One boss was great, the other one was awful. I did go part time and am still there... part time. Even more part time than before. I've cut my own hours slowly over the years.

My co workers have been great. Very understanding and co-operative. They even formed a MS WALK team for me and have done the walk every year.

I'm just now thinking of giving up. I have other health issues that are compounded by the MS.

You can work and still receive your SSI and Medicare.
      Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Comment

Happy thought...

On average, it's less than 10 years from diagnosis to retirement for MS patients.

The disease is unpredictable, which is not always employer friendly.

Part time work or volunteering might be an option. My benefits don't allow me to work. Tough at first, but I realize my body and mind can't keep up with the workforce.

Hope to hear others who are still working and thriving!

Comment

Pressednotcrushed

I'm sure there are numerous stories out there of people going back to work. I've met a few. After my exacerbation, I met with the MS society. I was in bad shape. they told me to keep working in my present job. My employer stuck with me through my issues and I'm back at work. I know others.

Something to keep in mind: What you felt after your exacerbation and up to even 1 or more years after is some damage and a lot of inflammation. The inflammation will die down as long as you don't have further exacerbations. The meds will help, but you should be exercising, meditating and on a diet. You can't believe how much exercise will help you psychologically and physically.

Take a look at the following websites for inspiration and

http://manonamsion.wordpress.com/about/
          http://intelligentguidetoms.wordpress.com/about/
          http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis.org/

Comment

[QUOTE=twisterred;1302080]
            On average, it's less than 10 years from diagnosis to retirement for MS patients.

QUOTE]

that is upsetting and depressing.
            Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
            ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working after DX

I was DX in Dec 2009 and really struggled for about the first nine months with lingering symptoms, primarily vision and cog fog. I'm happy to say that my vision return to normal and the cog fog has gotten much less. I continued to work through both relapses and when I wasn't working spent a lot of time resting and recovering. I still struggle with fatigue but rest when I can and power through when I can't.

I may not be typical, although, I'm not sure there actually is "typical" MS. But I continue to have a rewarding career, a fabulous family support system, and a mindset to hope for the best and plan for the rest.

all the best,
              Silverlinings.

Comment

I was DX'd when I was in my 20's and began grad school a few months after my DX. After grad school I worked until right before I had my son.
                Aitch - Writer, historian, wondermom. First symptoms in my teens, DX'd in my twenties, disabled in my thirties. Still the luckiest girl in the world.

Comment

Thanks for the stories and encouragement. I am 31 and most of my work experience has been retail or most recently as a caregiver (for a woman with MS). Both are very physical jobs and out of my reach at the moment. I have been the primary earner in my home for the last 5 years until my first symptoms made it so I could not stand longer than a few minutes.

I am up to about 15 minutes now if I am just standing and walking I can go for about 20. I hope it gets better but I feel discouraged since the weakness and pain have been so stagnate for the the last 7 months. Sitting is a bit better but I have to have my legs stretched out to do so very long. I also have been struggling with the cog fog on and off.

The last 9 months since my symptoms started have been very difficult financially and I am going stir crazy since I can't do much more than a daily walk to my mail box or in and out of the grocery store. I never thought I would miss having the responsibility of a job.

Somehow I hope to find some way to be productive again. Maybe volunteering would be a good way to go. I guess I am just impatient to move on to the first stage of life after my Dx.

Comment

Volunteering is a great way to start looking for a new job, believe it or not. Choose something that will teach you job skills you're looking for. For example, if you want to learn to fundraise, volunteer to help with the group's efforts doing that. It will also help fill gaps in your work history.

Comment

Hi Pressed. So sorry you're having such a struggle. I had what I thought were permanent symptoms that came on last summer and gradually throughout the winter the almost completely disappeared. It's almost a year later and I still notice little patches of them showing up on occasion. At the six month mark I had decided they were always going to be with me. Then one day I noticed they were almost completely gone. It happened so gradually, I didn't even notice the changes until months later.

There are jobs you can do at home as well, if your concern is monetary. I have the link to a website called Workplacelikehome. It's a good place to start if you're looking for something to do and earn a little money. Many of the jobs are time flexible, some of them are less so.

My big thing is fatigue and I've gradually adjusted to it over the years. I've worked for myself at home for the last six or seven. It's the happy medium for me. I'm in control of my schedule and income for the most part this way. I do some jobs from the website mentioned above on occastion when I can and need to. The kicker is no benefits, and I thank my lucky stars my more energetic half has a good job with health insurance.
                      I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Well, I didn't return to work after dx - I never left work. I was told I had MS in early 1988. Over 23 years and still working every day. Nobody at work knows I have MS.

Tom
                        "Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is an absurd one."
                        - Voltaire

Comment

Originally posted by twisterred View Post
                          Happy thought...

The disease is unpredictable, which is not always employer friendly.
                          Where does that statistic come from and how old is it? People are being diagnosed years earlier and often begin treatment immediately. I'd say that if you've just been diagnosed, you stand a very good chance of getting back to work for many years.

There's a bit of luck involved but also you have to exercise. After an exacerbation and sitting around, your muscles get very weak. Add this to any weakness you have and it's very hard to get started.

Walk a little farther each day, but at a certain point, get to the gym and do a bicycle or whatever you can do. Exercise is the best for beating fatigue and keeping the neural pathways working and finding new ones.

Good luck, but keep working at it!

Comment

It's been 1 year, and I never left work.

I am lucky to do office work, but it is getting harder to walk in and out of work every day. I have to work for the benefits and pay, so I will get in one way or another.

I mainly worry about continuing to drive. The thought process is affected too. I miss things that I never used to.

I would go crazy sitting at home every day anyhow.

Comment

Firstly; Thank you for being a caregiver.
                              It takes a special person to be a caregiver.

I did not have to quit work, and that is only because I have an easy state university job.
                              If I still worked in the real world, I surely would have been fired.

But now I could do a real world job, and I’m extremely productive at my university job with management responsibilities as well as my normal work.
                              Switching meds and no longer have constant flu like symptoms a few years back really help, and last year starting Ampyra and correcting my diet has made I new man.

So stay hopeful and be proactive about you health, I know for a fact it make a difference.

May I suggest instead of doing nothing, you could look around the house and find things to repair or improve and be creative.

Learning new skills cause the brain to create myelin and can rewarding, plus think impressed your friends, family, and future interviewer will be when you say you built a window set, painted a painting for a blank wall, started growing you own herbs and spices, installed a new storm door, started making walking canes, or, or, or look around and you decide.
                              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Working...
                              X