Can some activities aggravate ms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can some activities aggravate ms

I participated in an off road event last week, riding back seAT IN A JEEP THAT JERKED ME ALL AROUND. Then an ms relapse next day. I'm thinking all the bouncing,jerking, whiplash like moves aggravated an old lesion. I have numbness on the left side of my face and head that I EXPERIENCED AWHILE BACK AND with it this time dizziness and unbalanced. I'm thinking no more off raod jeep rides. The dr said it waas possible this event stirred things up. I regret the activity now, but are we to stop doing everything?

This is a very good question. I've been wondering the same thing. A couple of months ago I spent two hours raking up twigs in the yard. I ended up with a horrible headache that evening with painful muscle tension in the neck and shoulders. What happened next has been going on ever since, the muscles in my shoulders, down the back of my arm, and one in the chest spasm when I tip my head to that side. Tip right - spasm on right - it's almost like a reflex it happens so fast. I can no longer stretch my neck because things spasm when I try.

It's been two months now and it's finally starting to fade away. But whenever I do anything requiring a lot of upper body work, it gets worse again.

No clue what it is.
    I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

It's important to distinguish between the damage in your nervous system and MS.

Firstly, you can't "feel" your MS. You feel the areas where your brain and spine have been injured.

When you exert yourself or for some (but not all), get heated, you feel the effects of that damage more intensely. After you cool down and/or rest, you get back to where you were. this is called Uhtoff's phenomenon.

Exertion does not make MS worse, only the symptoms you feel. Of course if you ran a Marathon, ran for president or were captured by terrorists, that level of stress could bring on an exacerbation, from what I understand.

But be sure you get enough rest. One day of exertion in the heat, followed by lack of sleep can continue for days, even weeks. Be sure to rest up.

Here's the best practical guide to exacerbations I've seen*
      https://www.virginiamason.org/workfi...acerbation.pdf

*Your mileage may vary, contact your doctor before beginning any new exercise program or if you have an erection lasting longer than 3 days.

Comment

Great explanation, BigA.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

jackiey,

did you have an exacerbation or a pseudo exacerbation. I don't even like the term used for the temporary stuff.

If someone without MS who was in poor shape ran a mile, they'd feel bad the next day and might stay home in bed. When you have MS, it takes less to wipe you out or to activate symptoms (again of damage, it's not new damage).

So go do your stuff, but take it easy so that it goes away quickly. My doctor has patients who run till they're blind and then sit down until it clears and then start running again.

IF you have a proper or a real exacerbation, that's generally a little new damage and a lot of inflammation. After the inflammation dies down - it can take a few months to a year - you get better with some amount of damage remaining (note: everyone is different).

If you are unsure what the difference between an exacerbation and a pseudo exacerbation is: Click here

http://www.everydayhealth.com/multip...nscript-1.aspx

Comment

Working...
          X