Foot Pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Foot Pain

In the last few months, I started to get foot/leg pain out of the blue. It used to be when I got up from bed or up from a sitting position, my feet would really hurt (mainly the heal) until I was up for a while and then I was fine. I was pretty sure this was Plantar fasciitis. Well, the pain has gotten worse and now my feet hurt pretty much all the time and the same tightness to initially move has also reached my legs/knees. It doesn't matter how I keep my feet, but they are never comfortable. And when I stand up, my body acts like I am 85 and I am only 35. Just today I was driving for about 30 minutes and I had to stop and run into a store. I swear, I nearly couldn't make it into the front door. My feet and legs were so stiff and they hurt to walk. I also have the hardest time standing up from a squatting position. I know I am overweight, but this just seems extreme.

My question is this: I am newly diagnosed and I am having a hard time distinguishing my MS symptoms from other issues. Is this something others have experienced as well? I am not sure whether to call my neurologist or my GP.

For the record, as of January I have 2 lesions on my T-Spine, 1 on my C-spine and 1 on my brain.

I`VE LEARNED (THE HARD WAY) THAT IT IS BEST TO CALL BOTH. MY INSURANCE WON`T PAY FOR TESTING THAT ISN`T NEURO RELATED (SO IF THE NEURO ORDERS A TEST, NOT NEUROLOGICAL, MY INSURANCE DOESN`T COVER IT). BESIDES, IT`S BETTER TO HAVE 2 DRS FOCUSING ON THE SAME PROBLEM. GOOD LUCK

DAVE
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

]FORGOT TO MENTION, I HAVE PAIN IN MY LEFT HEEL ONLY. IT COMES AND GOES AT ANY TIME, NO RHYME OR REASON. MINE IS DUE TO MS.

DAVE
      hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
      volunteer
      MS World
      hunterd@msworld.org
      PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

foot pain can be from

the sciatic nerve too. That could indicate any # of conditions of the lumbar spine. I get the cramping of my right foot and buzzing in the foot and the other without rhyme or reason and then when I walk the right foot drops. After a while the left drags. I have learned to live with it.

I would talk with a physiatrist too. They often have less drug and MRI intervention and more physical therapy ideas.

Comment

doublebuttons, I have the exact same symptoms as you have described. I don't know if it is MS related or not. I have multiple lesions on brain and none on C-Spine or T-Spine. My MS has been progressing though and I am currently on Tysabri. Let me know what you find out. I am also curious if this has something to do with my MS.

Comment

Hi DB, I was recently diagnosed myself with MS, but probably have had it for a long time. When I first started getting foot spasms and shooting pains in my feet my PCP sent me to a podiatrist. He thought it was plantar fascitis, but the splints and stretching didn't help me much, and in retrospect I think it was related to MS. I would mention it to your neuro. There are some stretches and massages for plantar fascitis you can try, its a relatively common condition. These might help you whether it's related to MS or something else.

Comment

I actually just joined this site, and the pain in my foot is the main reason. I was diagnosed 12 years ago, but the foot pain started 2 years ago. I have found that it improves when I wear inserts in my shoes and exercise. If I lay around a lot, or if I walk around in sandals or bare feet, it's excruciating. My friend is a massage therapist, and believes it is the gastrocnemius being too tight and causing all the problems. I have a lot of pain radiating from my big toe around my ankle up to the front of my shin halfway up. My heel is also burning. Mine is the left leg also. I have problems with circulation and muscle tightness in that leg along with numbness and tingling. The leg issue is what led to my initial diagnose, but the foot thing is new. Please let me know if your doc has any info. I am without insurance right now, so can't get it fixed.

Comment

plantar fasciitis

Hi
                I have heel pain diagnosed as plantar fasciitis. I have found this good website with plantar fasciitis review and more: plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com
                Take care & good luck

Comment

I have the same

Wow, I thought I was crazy until I started reading all your messages. I was diagnosed 6 years ago, and have had foot and leg pain for about 3 years. It is in my right foot and shoots up my leg. sometimes it is really shard and sometimes just burns. My left foot drops a lot when I walk, especially when I'm tired. At first my neuro told me that pain is not associated with ms, but in the last 2 years has started to treat it. Lyrica works really good for me, with few side effects. I'm glad I'm not alone

Comment

DOUBLEBUTTONS

I HAVE THIS HEAL PAIN ESPECIALLY WHEN GETTING UP IN THE MORNING, DOCTOR TOLD ME IT COULD BE SOMETHING CALLED PLANTAR FASCIITIS.

Comment

Plantar Fasciitis

I have been diagnosed multiple times with PF and it used to "fix" with the exercises and braces and all that. Now, if I do the exercises, my feet instantly cramp and I can't unbend them for a few minutes and it hurts worse than the usual pain.

The brace doesn't work anymore either. I just deal with the pain, even though it often feels like the bones in my feet are broken and my arches are falling AGAIN.

It is worse when I wake up and step down the first time. Hurts when I've been sitting and get up. Hurts when I've been standing a long time or walking a lot. I have orthotics and it doesn't help the pain.

During my VA compensation exam, the neuro said it could be spasticity, but didn't say it was definitely.

I wish you well in finding something to help. I haven't yet.

Comment

I have pretty severe neuropathy in my feet. They hurt and burn on the soles but toes mostly hurt. Lyrica helps (I take two at night to help calm them down so I can sleep), and I also use Capsacin gel with a roll on bottle and put socks on because they are cold as well as burning.

Exercise always helps everything, but I have a prescription for Baclofen for the cramping that can and sometimes does occur with exercise. I do water aerobics and yoga, and have to wear swim shoes because the pool bottom just hurts my feet too much.

Trial and error - my feet are still painful but I can live with it.

Comment

I don't know if this is related but starting last week I have had problems with my left foot and calf. My foot feels heavy and I am having trouble walking correctly. When I walk it is like I can't lift my foot and it flops. I can't stretch my foot out right nor bend my toes. The calf in my leg feels like there is a rubber band being stretched over it. My foot is so heavy that I keep stumbling over it and stubbing my big toe. To the point that my toe is really brusied. I have almost fallen several times and am limping when I walk. My foot aches.

I don't know if this is the start of foot drop or something that was brought on by the heat. We experienced a severe heat wave during the time this started. I don't know if it is temporary or permanent.

I am very scared that this may be something that won't go away as it is very uncomfortable and making it difficult for me to walk. Is this just one more thing I am going to have to learn to live with? I am so frustrated. I am in the midddle of switching doctor's right now so don't have a doctor to call about it and don't really know what to do or what to think.

I don't know if anyone will read this post; but if you do and have any suggestions, help or information it would be so appreciated. I am really having a difficult time dealing with this. Someone suggested soaking it in cayenne pepper which I did this morning but it did not help just made my foot and ankle burn. I just don't know what to expect if it will get worse or better. It hasn't been as hot so I was hoping that would make the difference but it hasn't. Every morning I wake up hoping it will be gone but so far it has stayed. I am so desperate for answers.

Sorry for complaining but I am really distressed and worried that this will be a new way of life for me and if so how I will manage to get around and function in my life. I know I will have to adjust but this past week has been a real challenge for me. I am so tired of flopping my foot around. I need some advice.. Thank you for letting me vent and for any help you may be able to give me ~

Comment

I've had MS for 36 yrs & I still have a hard time deciding whether it's MS or something else. I have 2 drs. my GP & a neuro. I've also been going to a chiro for 3 yrs so between the 3 of them they usually know what's going on with me.

My chiro helps me more than anyone. He keeps me walking. He doesn't pop unless I'm in really bad shape. I have drop foot & very little feeling in my feet but he keeps me going. I've sent a lot of people to him with MS & they feel so much better. I also have massages every once in a while.

I try everything I can not to have to take pain meds. But there are days when the pain is greater than my will power. When I have those days I take a pill & just sit in my chair or go to bed.

I've learned through trial & error to listen to my body & my head. If you are wondering if your symptoms are MS or something else go see your dr. I have a good relationship with all of mine & that's important.

My MS is the fatigue & pain. I work 32 hrs a wk & sometimes that can be too much for me. I'm now in the process of making some major decisions & that effects me. Stress is not a good thing. I have MS but MS does not have me. To look at me I look good but people who know me know when I'm having a hard time. Thank goodness for understanding people. It wasn't always that way.

I also take neurontin for my feet & if I didn't the pain is more than I can bear & I have a high tolerance for pain. But this pain brings me to my knees. Talk to your drs & trust them.

Take care & your coming here is a good place to vent. I hope I have helped someone in some way.
                            Sammie

Comment

Working...
                            X