Any other people here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other people here

DX'd with MS and have no family HX of it ?
    I see fairly many posts about family members with MS also but rarely a post of no family HX.

Anyway, I have no family HX of MS on either side. I come from a large family.

I'm wondering how common or uncommon the family HX and MS is.
    Thanks in advance for responses!
    T-tk (dx RR 10/08 Copax.2008)
    Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So...get on your way.

I have no family history of MS; not even any vague, undiagnosed illnesses that might have been MS. I appear to be the first in my genetic line.

According to the NMSS,

Epidemiologic surveys have determined that an individual's risk of developing MS increases several-fold if a close family member has MS. While the average person in the United States has about 1 chance in 750 of developing MS, the risk for a person who has a parent or sibling with MS increases to about 1 in 40. MS. Thus, the risk increases significantly for a person whose parent has MS, but still remains relatively low.

Full article:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ics/index.aspx

Comment

Also no family history. Autoimmune diseases, but "small" ones that usually don't connect with MS.

Comment

No MS in my family hx. Lots of other autoimmune issues, but no MS

Comment

I have not family HX of MS. I have asked all my relatives and noone even had vague sx of MS. So I guess I am the first. Lucky me!
          Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
          Babe Ruth

Comment

Grandma had a book with the family history and any major illness anyone had,went back over 100 years to when the family migrated here from Germany No one but me has ever had MS. Grandma was a few weeks from turning 100 when she passed, I always thought what a long life I am going to live, now with MS I pray the long life genes are not passed onto me, I can't imagine living another 50 years with this miserable disease

Comment

No family history, not even a family history of any auto-immune disorders. The closest I can come even with vague symptoms is my mom has some sort of idiopathic neuropathy - we found this out about a year after my MS diagnosis.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Originally posted by maximumlite View Post
                Grandma had a book with the family history and any major illness anyone had,went back over 100 years to when the family migrated here from Germany No one but me has ever had MS. Grandma was a few weeks from turning 100 when she passed, I always thought what a long life I am going to live, now with MS I pray the long life genes are not passed onto me, I can't imagine living another 50 years with this miserable disease
                My Grandmother is 98 and I hope to god that I don't live that long. Damn that good German stock!

As far as I know, I'm the only one with ms. My father's side of the family is rather large, so I wouldn't know their illnesses, if any. My brother, though, has had juvenile diabetes since he was 3. He is now 50.

Comment

No family HX of MS on either side of the family. No unexplained autoimmune diseases or anything resembling MS. Guess I won the lottery.
                  "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

No family history of MS or any other autoimmune diseases. I guess we all won the lottery!!

My risk of developing MS was very slim to begin with because I was born and raised in the Caribbean. But, as it turned out, I unfortunately have it and had my first flare during pregnancy. Odd!!

Hope all is well.
                    First episode with third pregnancy
                    On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
                    Proud mommy of three children

Comment

all negative in history

for me too. no history of anything at all, actually. Thought I had the ticket all paid for, for a medical-free life!
                      You are in the driver's seat, but God is holding the map

Comment

No known history of any autoimmune diseases on either side, certainly not MS.

My massage therapist told me of numerous relatives in her family and numerous relatives in a friends family, all dx w/MS.
                        1st neurological event 5/29/10. Dx 4/29/11. Avonex since 8/20/10. Age 41 & still smiling.
                        Because we have hard times, we really know how to appreciate the good times

Comment

No history in my family and I asked relatives blind questions that took it back four generations.
                          The only event for me was getting a slew of shots for the first Gulf War.

Comment

No family history for MS in my family. My Mother had, I have, both my children have and looks like all 4 Grandbabies have Raynaud's, but no MS.

I have to add though, I was in the Army, and there is presently some questioning as to chemical exposure at Ft. McClellan.
                            MS, it's a brain thang!
                            Proud to have served, U.S Army WAC

Comment

hi. I have no family hx of MS either. I think that any auto immune qualifies personally. But, I don't really have any of that either. LOL.
                              Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                              ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

Working...
                              X