Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 6/16/11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weightloss Checkin Group: Weighin for 6/16/11

Hi Everyone. Goodness, the worm has certainly turned. After our blistering heat we have for several days been in a cold front. I actually had to turn on the heat one day. My thermostat was down to 65 degrees. I hid my less than well toned body behind a heavy sweatshirt. This cool weather allows people who live in similar circumstances the opportunity to get outside and walk or do other outside activities without overheating which as we all know is the worst thing to do. I can feel my strength diminishing as my temperature rises which I am sure is true for all of you. A test for MS used to be taking a hot bath and analyzing the results. We have come a long way from those not so long ago days. The good news is that fresh fruits and veggies are plentiful which makes our weight losing efforts easier. If you find yourself feeling unsatisfied at mealtime try adding a delicious low calorie veggie. I sometimes eat extra baby carrots when I feel in the mood for something crunchy.

Alas, I cannot weigh in right now. My scale broke. I knew I should not have added that extra pound. LOL My neighbor took my scale for one of his friends to look at but he hasn’t gotten it back to me yet. I can’t really shop so may have to order a scale on line. I hope to post my weight soon.

Sparky, that is very good that you stayed the same considering that you have had several losses lately. My mouth watered when I read of your adding fresh green onions from your yard to your meal. Growing your own veggies is outstanding.

Poohb3ar, don’t despair over gaining such a small amount. Being away with all of the festivities and not gaining more in the process is great. That is quite a testament that you looked better now than when your daughter first started school. You have made definite progress. Keep up the good work.

MamaBug, good for you for paying attention to what you were eating during all of the festivities. You have an excellent overall record of loss. I’m sorry you feel stressed over planning for your reunion. I hope it all goes smoothly. Good luck.

Agate, it’s good to see you back. Don’t fret over the gain. You have done very well overall and I’m sure you will resume going down.

Hunterd, sorry to miss you this week. I hope everything is o.k.

CCsitter, thank you for checking in. Congratulations on meeting your weight loss goal. That is really a tribute to your tenacity. I appreciate your desire to lose more than the weight set by your doctor. I do hope you will let us know how it goes. Maintaining can be a challenge as will be losing more than originally planned. Keep up the good work.

For those who may have an interest in joining our dedicated group, our members each have their own personal methods of weight loss. Some are on Weight Watchers, some on Atkins for example and some just cut calories. I personally lost quite a lot of weight in the beginning using Atkins and then just cut portions while eating everything. The method is not the most important thing, it is staying focused and following the plan.

We post weight loss, gain, stayed the same, from Thursday to Thursday and have been doing so for over eight years. We are truly dedicated to get rid of those pesky pounds and keep them off. You don’t have to state your actual weight. It’s a matter of choice.

Tip for the Week:

This is the start of a series on food cravings. Hunger can have you craving food. “If you go longer than five hours without food, your blood sugar will drop and your cravings will begin,” Anding says. You can help avoid food cravings caused by hunger by not going more than five hours without eating something. If it’s time for an allowed snack, choose food low in calories and fat. Options under 50 calories include a small peach, 15 grapes, 2 cups of light microwaved popcorn, or five pretzels. To help fend off food cravings, every meal should include some source of lean protein such as skinless chicken or turkey, fish, eggs, or low-fat cheese. “Protein helps to control blood sugar patterns and can help prevent food cravings,” Anding says. Foods containing protein also help you feel fuller by stimulating production of cholecystokinin (CKK), a naturally occurring appetite suppressant. And by choosing lean sources, you put a cap on calories.

Weight loss Results for 6/9/11:

Total Loss:

.5 pound by one member. It may be a small amount but is worthwhile. Remember that those decimals count. There will no doubt be other successes to come. Just keep up the good work whether it is losing or maintaining.

Total Gain:

2.2 pounds by two members. Good for you both for reporting. Reporting gains is an important part of the process. Admitting the painful truth is a step toward changing things for the future.

Stayed the same:

1 member. As you know, staying the same truly is success. Just keep remembering it is the time before the next loss. Thanks for letting us know.

3125.68 is the total weight loss for the past 8+ years. Now that we have hit 1.5 tons we are on our way to losing two tons.

June 2 - June 15 (two weeks); lost 1.0 lb
    39 weeks: Total weight loss since September -- 48.8 lbs (Average per week: 1.25 lbs)

Check out my photos on my SparkPeople profile
    (click on my homepage to get there).
    Once you're at my profile, go to Photos.
    I added a couple of pictures taken of me at the wedding.

The reunion is still approaching. I'd set a goal, awhile ago, based on my average weight losses, to be down to a 56 lb weight loss by the time of the reunion on July 9 (3.5 weeks away). That is looking less likely now, as I still have 7.2 lbs to go, and I don't expect to be able to lose 2 lbs each week for 3.5 weeks.

I might have to re-think some of what I do. I often consider adding more weight training, but, then I don't do a whole lot about it. However, that might increase my metabolism enough to get some more pounds off (or, at least some inches, which is more of a goal anyways -- it's just that, usually for the inches to come off, the pounds have to come off as well).

Not sure, though, if I have the motivation to do more than what I've been currently doing. (Very little exercise lately, even less than usual. Just continuing to watch what I eat.) Still just kinda gettin' by, through all of the stressful events (the good, the wonderful, and the frustrating and the not so good).

I'm also hoping that, after these big "goal dates" are passed (the May 22 wedding is over, the Winnipeg reception is over, the July 9 reunion is still approaching but will be over soon), I'm hoping that I'll continue to have the motivation to keep losing when I don't have the anticipation of far-away-family-and-friends seeing me to show-case my weight loss.

However, two people at church who hadn't seen me recently (we have 2 services most Sundays, so some people attend the other one) commented on Sunday about my weight loss. That's always motivating. :-) Someone told me last month that I was "disappearing"!

~ Faith
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

I may be on my way back to the 112 I was so thrilled about a few weeks ago. Last week I was up to 114, but now I'm at 113.

Five more pounds to lose, and I'll be where I used to be.
      MEMBER OF MS WORLD SINCE 4/03.

SPMS diagnosed 1980. Avonex 2002-2005. Copaxone 6/4/07-5/15/10. Glatiramer acetate 40 mg (= Copaxone) 2021- 3/16/24

Comment

Thanks, Sparky.

The woman who coordinates the volunteers for the local children's Summer Food Program saw me this week for the first time since last summer. My weight loss was her first comment. That always boosts my mood.

~ Faith
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi again. My neighbor fixed my scale and brought it over yesterday. I weighed at my usual time this morning and am down 1.5 lbs since last week and one pound lower than I was before I started steroids. Thus I am at 114. Now if I can just keep from going above 115 which is hard to do.

Congrats to all of you who are doing so well. Keep up the good work. Karen

Comment

OOPS!

Can't believe i've not checked in. this sleepiness is messing me all up!
            ugh, gained 1.2 lbs.! my weight is all over the charts despite 'being good' even my splurge days don't hit over 1200 calories and have been doing much better about exercising. but i've been sleeping upwards of 12 hrs in a 24 hr period!
            not sure if i'm ever going to catch up on sleep from trip. upped my B12's etc. eating right. trying not to rely on caffeine for a pick me up because it doesn't work.
            vocal cords are killing me after laryngentoligist (sp?) exam with a metal tube and camera down my throat (good thing i'm numb there!)
            he said everything looked great, but started wheezing yest. and can't talk again!
            oh well, i'll keep fighting the fight. i know better days are ahead and if not, God will get me through them.
            good to hear everyone is doing so well! keep it up!
            this week's not looking so good for me. gained 2 lbs one day and lost the same 2 lbs next day weird!

take care everyone and God bless ya!
            "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by agate
              I may be on my way back to the 112 I was so thrilled about a few weeks ago. Last week I was up to 114, but now I'm at 113.

Five more pounds to lose, and I'll be where I used to be.
              Wtg, Agate. I've always heard that those last 10 lbs are the hardest, and, you're probably even working on your last 5 lbs? Hang in there. When I get that close, my goal will mostly be to maintain.

Originally posted by poohb3ar View Post
              ugh, gained 1.2 lbs.! my weight is all over the charts despite 'being good' even my splurge days don't hit over 1200 calories and have been doing much better about exercising.
              take care everyone and God bless ya!
              Pooh -- That might be your problem. That you aren't eating enough.
              For example, when I consume fewer than 1200 calories for more than 2-3 days in a row, I gain weight too, because my body becomes "afraid" that I am starving it. (I think that's why I gained weight on my vacation. Because, although I wasn't tracking calories, I was trying to eat carefully, and instead of eating too much, I didn't eat enough.)

Pooh, I'd recommend eating 1200 calories or more at least 2x per week, maybe 3. And, spread those "1200 calorie+" days out, so your low calorie days don't happen too many days in a row.

And, maybe even throw in a real "splurge" day once in awhile -- like 1600-1700 calories. (1200 calories is not a "splurge". It's the recommended low amount in the range for losing weight.) Even if the next day, after a 1600-1700 calorie day shows a weight gain, a splurge can "boost" your metabolism and help you lose weight more effectively the next 2 or 3 days, when you can get by with eating less than 1200 calories, because of your splurge.

~ Faith
              ~ Faith
              (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

WOW!

mamab, thanks for the advice.
                i'm having trouble hitting the 800 cal. mark lately. with all this sleeping, i'm not eating much. the only thing i really crave is ice cream and that could easily hit the 1000 cal. mark in one milkshake! (or concrete, blizzard, etc. all of which i could live on!)
                i'll try that and keep better track of exact calories again. just been so stinking sleepy and tired to even write it down, just know that what i'm eating is not many calories. not even hungry for breakfast.
                i keep checking temp and limp glands, no temp, no swelling. so i just chalk it up to recovering from overdoing big time.
                but i'll give that a try starting this week (tonight! milkshake!!! wheee!)
                thanks mamab, you're always so helpful!
                take care and God bless ya!
                "All things are possible for those who believe." Jesus

Comment

Yay, Pooh. Bring on the ice cream!

~ Faith
                  ~ Faith
                  (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

It's time to weighin. I'm sorry I'm late. I explained it in the post. Karen

Comment

Working...
                    X