Back spasms are driving me over the edge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back spasms are driving me over the edge

I've been experiencing muscle spasms in my back for awhile now. Not sure if what is called MS hug or not and I still don't have a diagnosis. The pain is just really hard to deal with. Flexeril is not helping much except for making me drowsy enough to sleep a bit. Somebody suggested one of those back wrap bandages that chiropractors have and my husband had one for back issues and I'm using it now and it has helped more than anything. Keeping it tight keeps the muscles from spasming but is not the most fun thing to wear around. I know many take Baclofen for spasms. I wonder if my neuro will prescribe it for me when I see him at the end of May? The spasms are getting stronger and lasting much longer. I honestly think I couldn't go on this way for long without some relief. Any cheese with my whine?

DONNA,
    I HAVE CHEEZE!!!!! I KEEP ALOT ON HAND FOR ME. I`D ASK ABOUT THE BACLOFEN, IT HAS DONE WONDERS FOR ME! IT RELIEVED MY LEG SPASMS THAT WERE HORRIBLE. MY 270 LB COUSIN COULDN`T BEND MY LEG TO GET ME IN THE CAR!!!!!! TRY IT, YOU HAVE NOTHING TO LOSE. GOOD LUCK

DAVE
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Dave: Thanks. I do plan on asking neuro about Baclofen when I see him next week. The Flexeril just dopes me drowsy but not much help. I have finally found relief with my husband's back brace from the chiropractor. It stretches tight around me middle and stops the muscles from contracting so now at least I am getting relief. I was very close to being where I didn't want to be in terms of a meltdown but now with the relief I'm back to "normal." Or as normal as I can be LOL. Thanks for writing.

Comment

I don't have any good advice for you, but I know what you mean. My upper back/shoulder blade area is my problem spot, especially on the left side. The pain isn't too awful, just low-level discomfort, but it's all the time! I can't stretch it away, heat it away, ice it away, or rub it away.

I kept thinking that I was doing something to strain it. I took ibuprofen, I changed my sleeping position, I watched how I sat at my desk....it wasn't until I started reading here that I realized that it had to be a spasm from the MS. (And really, it shouldn't have taken me that long. Muscle spasms that go on for weeks aren't "normal.")

I hope you find some relief soon.

Comment

QuickType: Have you considered trying one of those elastic back braces? That has helped me tremendously. My husband had one he got from his chiropractor but I think you can just buy one at a good supply store or even a drug store. It holds the muscles in place and they stop spasming. It has been a God send for me.

Comment

I've tried a few different ones, yeah. I keep looking for the perfect one! Thank you for the suggestion!

Comment

Back spasms - my solutions

I also have awful spasms. The drugs are okay but they zone a person out and that is not acceptable to me. I use a TENS unit prescribed by my Physiatrist. I happen to also have arthritis in my spine at this point and have a slipped disc as well. The pain is awful but the TENS unit works very well if used consistantly. The other thing is stretches and a good neuro physical therapist like the one I have a t Spaulding Rehab works miracles. A good PT is better than any neurologist for a person with MS.

Good luck to you and don't hesitate to find help for the pain with physiatry.

Lana

Originally posted by MSDO106964 View Post
              I've been experiencing muscle spasms in my back for awhile now. Not sure if what is called MS hug or not and I still don't have a diagnosis. The pain is just really hard to deal with. Flexeril is not helping much except for making me drowsy enough to sleep a bit. Somebody suggested one of those back wrap bandages that chiropractors have and my husband had one for back issues and I'm using it now and it has helped more than anything. Keeping it tight keeps the muscles from spasming but is not the most fun thing to wear around. I know many take Baclofen for spasms. I wonder if my neuro will prescribe it for me when I see him at the end of May? The spasms are getting stronger and lasting much longer. I honestly think I couldn't go on this way for long without some relief. Any cheese with my whine?

Comment

I hear you

I have had terrible spasms for years. I am on Baclofin and take 60 to 80 mg a day. Of late, the spasms are coming fast and furious without so much as one day relief, so I think I am due for an increase in the daily mg's.

I find if I try to strecth them out, it affects a different muscle group. A poor male friend of mine was going to give me a ride home one night (it was one of the coldest nights we had had in January that year) and a spasm started. I tryed to stretch it out and I end up where I was bent over, my hand looked like claws and I could straighten my legs. The poor man wanted to help me, but just didn't know where to touch me.

I find some relief by doing the deep, heavy, fast breathing. Don't know if it works or if the spasm is just ready to stop, but in either case it lets go. I used to find myself tensing up, which of course makes them worse. The pain it leaves behind is no fun though.

Wish I could tell you there was a magic wand to take them away. Maybe someone will come along with new ideas

Comment

sorry to hear of your back pain. been there too. just a question...have you had an x-ray or MRI of your back? the baclofen doesn't make you feel drugged up like Flexaril. it will take a good 2 or 3 days to notice because its a slow taper up. good luck.

Comment

Back spasms - what helps me

Sorry to hear of this! For me, this is incessant. I have many C-spine lesions. This is MS doing what it does.

Physical Therapy has taught me some wonderful long stretches with deep breathing (side bend, neck, arms). It reduces them in severity and frequency. I also swim, swim, swim laps to get a good stretch and keep things circulating. Do what the body will let you, but keep moving.

Medically I have found Tizanidine (zanaflex) 4mg keeps me sleeping through the night with fewer spasms but by day, forget it, it gets me too high to work. Flexeril (cyclobenzaprine) did not help enough at all, it just made pooping impossible and I remained in back spastic hell (and high!). I've heard MJ does wonders--just saying.

Hope that give you additional scope. Good luck.

Comment

back pain

MSD, I hope you are doing better. I've tried flexeril and found it doesn't work well at all, I don't know why it's prescribed so much. Have you ever considered chiropractic? I've found that this helps, since it keeps the spine aligned, resulting in less irritation of the nerves exiting the spine-->less spams. I still needed to take a muscle relaxant regularly--Zanaflex is a good one, and Baclofen works for many people--but I found that there was a synergistic relationship between this approach, since spasms will often pull the spine out of its correct alignment. The weightlifting program my PT designed for me also helped reduce spasms.

Comment

Working...
                      X