MS in muscles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MS in muscles?

Kind of a silly question : We all know MS is a disease of the CNS. We all know that it effects our muscles in some way or other (extreme physical fatigue, etc.). But I'm wondering how much it effects our muscles because I've been having some new and odd symptoms, and I'm not sure if it is the MS or not.

My left ankle has felt lightly sprained for almost a month now. At first, it was only an occasional twinge (usually at bed time, first thing in morning and at first when getting up to walk after sitting for a while). Then, after about 2 weeks of that, it began hurting all the time (I started wearing a brace at this point). It feels exactly like a mild sprain. By this point, you may be asking yourself "Why doesn't she just accept that it's a sprained ankle?" Well, because I don't recall doing ANYTHING that would have caused a sprain. No trips, falls, new high heels, getting kicked in the ankle ... nada.

Anyway, then I began having intermediate pain in my right shin and on top of my right foot.

In addition, now my left arm sometimes hurts to move - not too weak to move, just has a sharp pain somewhere between shoulder and elbow.

All of these things feel more like problems with the musculature than any of my previous symptoms. Has anyone had similar issues that result from MS?

I don't want to blame every little thing that crops up on MS, but I am drawing a complete blank as to other causes on these issues.

Any insight is appreciated.
    Thanks.

What you're describing sounds like it could be caused by spasticity. Muscle spasms can cause pain in muscles and joints. My left knee hurts off an on for no good reason (even had it X-rayed and nothing was found to cause the pain.) I also just recently had pretty severe pain in my right shoulder blade caused by muscle spasms.

So, chances are, what you're experiencing could be spasticity, though it wouldn't hurt to get it checked out.

Hugs,

Lisa
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

I agree...its spasticity

I've currently got the same thing happening in my left calf muscle. Feels like a pulled muscle, but it is because my muscle is getting a funky message through my CNS telling the muscle to contract and not release.

My left hand has been stiff and painful for a year now thanks to our friend spasticity :-(
      Melissa Goerke
      [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. I'm endlessly amazed at the myraid symptoms this ridiculous disease boasts. Ah, well ... as my great grandmother used to say, such is life.

Comment

Working...
        X