Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metlife LTD Anyone ???

Hi all,

My company provides Long Term Disability through Metlife that will supposedly will pay me 60% of my pay if I become perm disabled.

My benefits book from work only has a short blurb saying 60% and 90 day qualifiying period, but no real details on requirements, restrictions etc. I called Melife to get details on the coverage and they told me to call my employer. I called HR and they told me to call Metlife at the same number that told me to talk to HR.

So, I am of course confused.

Does anyone have LTD through Metlife from an employer? Is there an actual policy document that they send you when you apply for LTD? It sounds like everyone is trying to hide something from me ;-)

Thank you!
    Melissa Goerke
    [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

I have short- and long-term disability through my employer (thank goodness), but I don't know what company it is with or anything about it. We didn't get any documents on it at all.

Sounds like someone is passing the buck with your policy. Did you tell your employer that MetLife told you to talk to them about it? Just ask for a copy of the policy. Hopefully they can at least do that. (I'll think I'll do the same thing with my policy. I'd like to know about it too.)
    Joy is not the absence of suffering. It is the presence of God.
    Cut aspartame from my diet in 2012 and my symptoms have slowly disappeared. Interesting!
    Alpha Lipoic Acid (200 mg) + Acetyl L-carnitine (1,000 mg) = No more fatigue for me!

Comment

It sounds as though you're getting the run around for sure. LTD is a great benefit, but not one that either the employer or the insurance company wants you to use. Hang in there, be persistant and don't let them give you the run around.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I just went through this process last year this time. I last worked March 13th and placed on 1 month short term disability by my neuro filling out paperwork at that time and sending it via HR to the disability insurance folks.

Since I was not returning after a month, he had to fill out paperwork again, but he would not say I was "permanently" disabled. That is a big deal but even if a MD states you are PERM disabled that CAN be changed.

Well my primary took over that paperwork and had a heart to heart talk with me about how work kept making me sicker. SHE recommended long term or "PERMANENT" disability at that time. All I remember is that paperwork had to be renewed and that I was called by my assigned HR rep & and the insurance rep too I think, that I would be referred to long term disabilty after the 90 days. THEY made that decision based on my medical records. I had a number of things going on at that time which said I could not return to work.

All I remember is that move from short term to long term was decided FOR me, and it went smoothly from one to the other. Also, the insurance folks contract with ALSUP agency automatically and SSDI. I happened to call SS office as I was able to get a disabled widow's benefit and I remember them telling me that at time my husband passed. At that time they did the SSI/SSDI application over the phone. Again you have no choice..its expected you apply for SSI/SSDI.

Once I got my long term benefit (which gets updated from time to time by getting my records) they send you necesary forms to fill out including how much TAX should be taken from your check which is dispensed 1x a month.

However, once you get your SSDI check, that amt is taken out of your long term benefit amt. Then my widow's disability check ceased as my SSDI check is a bit more. You only get one whichever is larger amt.

I was not expecting that my SSDI check to be subtracted from my disability check. AND you only get your long term disability for a contracted amt based on your age at time of disability. Thankfully, I get long term until I am 65 but most will have this benefit run out.

KNOW THIS.. it isnt a lot to LIVE ON unless you have a 2nd income..its not much and I worked for many years.

Hopefully, your HR rep will help you with all of this. They all communicate and its their job to keep you informed.

Good luck, Jan
        I believe in miracles~!
        2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
        Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

You might ask your HR respresentative for an SPD- Summary Plan Description of the company's short and long term disability benefit plans. It should have the detail outlining the eligibility requirements and benefits coverage.

Best of luck
          Silverlinings

Comment

My LTD is not through MetLife it is through Hartford but that should not make a difference.

Your LTD is most likely employer paid. If not and you are paying for this, it can make a difference at tax time. You should see payroll deductions of some sort for this on your pay advices.

I received the Policy. Basically a contract stating the terms, requirements and provisions.

I doubt your employer is trying to hide anything. The LTD Policy should be made available to all and any employee who has agreed to be covered.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all for your responses. My HR department provided me with the actual policy document so now I know all the ins and outs of the policy.

Thanks!
              Melissa Goerke
              [I]DX 7/2/10, Copaxone then Avonex, started Ty 9/13/11, JCV+ ended Ty 9/13, started Gilenya 12/13 Blood Pressure skyrocketed, started Tecifdera 4/5/14 - fatigue beyond bearable and symptoms became worse. Rituximab 8/8/14.....waiting for the miracle. I WANT MY TYSABRI BACK!!!

Comment

I'm in HR - Your employer is responsible for providing you the information you need in regard to any plan and every they offer if you request the information.

We do not have Met, but I can access all of my plan information from the providers website.

I'm sure your HR person can do the same and it's easy. If they need assistance their provider contact or broker contact can help them locate the information.

Comment

coverage

I too have LTD and STD, but I got mine after my diagnosis with MS. It may or may not pay if I become disabled due to MS, but decided to get it anyway.

I met with my MetLife advisor just after being diagnosed. He said I would not qualify for their LTD, STD or Life insurance due to the MS. I never investigated it, so I don't know if it is true.

He just said that pre existing conditions are often not covered....

Comment

Originally posted by ME610 View Post
                    I too have LTD and STD, but I got mine after my diagnosis with MS. It may or may not pay if I become disabled due to MS, but decided to get it anyway.

I met with my MetLife advisor just after being diagnosed. He said I would not qualify for their LTD, STD or Life insurance due to the MS. I never investigated it, so I don't know if it is true.

He just said that pre existing conditions are often not covered....
                    Please do the due diligence on this subject yourself or with someone close you trust. Your Rep. may not be fully informed or knowledgeable of the particulars of the LTD, STD policy.

The concern is that your MS came before the coverage started. My thoughts are that this may not matter. If it is group LTD, STD then pre-existing may not apply. If you can hang in there and work at least a year after Dx...this may be all that's required.

But again...please check into it yourself. It's too important to just take the word of a Sales Rep.

Comment

thanks

Windwalker.... I knew that and figured that MS wasn't the only reason I could become disabled, so I decided to go for it anyway.
                      I am a single woman, so I do not have anyone to take care of per say, but wanted the assurance of possible help if it happens.... it has been almost 4 years and still doing just fine!!

Comment

Yeah, I'm very grateful my job offers both STD and LTD as a mandatory benefit and not something that's optional. I don't know that when I first took this job that I would have signed up for either if that had been the case. I have actually looked into supplementing my STD coverage because the elimination period is so long (20 days) and I've found there isn't a single place that would cover me, even for the 15 days before my job STD would kick in.

Comment

Working...
                        X