Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

don't feel comfortable with my neurologist??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

don't feel comfortable with my neurologist??

I went to an appointment today, and while he gave me medicine to start for my ms and
    medicine to help raise my bp. during the exam he was really rough.

he examed my neck for lymph nodes or whatever
    and it felt like he was strangling me.

its been red since my appointment this morning, and now its hard to swallow stuff.
    Is there a way to bring up nicely at the next appt that he doesnt ever examine my neck again?

if that is going to happen I don't want to go back.. anyone know how I should
    approach this situation?

for me i think honesty is the best policy. you will have a long relationship with this guy, so i'd just be honest and say it jokingly. i add humor to just about everything.

if you like his demeanor and him basically i'd just say listen go easier next time i was sore for the entire night after that.

my neuro triggered an attack by belting me with that stupid stick thing to check for nerve reactions etc. i told him lighter go lighter...

good luck
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I agree, if you like your neuro and trust him keep with it but stay strong. If you don't really like him or trust him I'd be looking for a different neuro.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I don't see any need for a rough exam, and while I might give this doc another chance, I would find another doc if this continues. My family doc does check lymph nodes/neck, but I don't think my neuro does that regularly.

At any rate, I have never had anyone checking my neck be "rough", and to have marks after is not acceptable IMO. I had a "rough" exam once by a gyn doc.......last time for that guy!

Comment

i know how u feel

hi, my name is psy im moving 2 indiana in aug and hope to find a neuro b4 i arrive or at at least a lead on a couple as soon as i get there , there always seems to be slim pickens in this field for some reason, if u find someone pls let me know maybe i will get lucky and it will be in my area thanks for the help and good luck to you hope your feeling better
          Psy
          GO NY YANKEES!!!!!!!

ANYTHING THAT WE LOVE, THAT LOVES US IN RETURN, NEVER DIES ....(GEORGE ANDERSON)

Comment

Help with Neurologist

For 10 years I have been suffering for symptoms that my primary care physician has often said sounded like MS, but until recently there was no evidence. About a month ago he had me get a brain MRI (he has once a year for the past 5 years), and this time there were brain lesions. He said he knew they would show up eventually and was glad in that he felt I know could get treatment and hopefully feel better. He referred me to the only neurologist on our island (I live in Hawaii) and I left the appointment in tears. He was so rude and called me a liar when I told him my symptoms. I told him my physician has recorded my symptoms for years and that I was approved for Social Security in 5 months because of my symptoms, and am now permanently disabled. He told me there was no way I could be experiencing symptoms of MS because while I have brain lesions he told me they are "not in the right place for MS". I asked him what could be causing my symptoms and the lesions and he told me that there was nothing wrong with me and that he could not help me and made me feel like I made it all up.

I have suffered for so many years and my quality of life is terrible. What do I do from here? My physician is still convinced that I have MS. And though I really don't want to have MS, it was the first time that a diagnosis made sense. And with a diagnosis comes help and treatment. Any advise?

Comment

My advice would be to go to another neuro but since there isn't one that's hard. I'm sorry you're having to deal with this, it's hard enough without having to deal with a difficult Dr.

Can your PCP treat your MS. Does he know enough about it to do so? That wouldn't be the best but might be a solution.

The neuro sounds like a jerk, btw. Did he say what he thought the lesions were caused by? Age, migraines or whatever?
              What if trials of this life
              Are Your mercies in disguise?
              "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

@Psy

I live in Indianapolis and am unsure of where you are moving to, however I volunteer for a local foundation that focuses on helping families/individuals battling MS. Currently there are 3 of us who volunteer that have MS, we have a social the 2nd Friday of every month that moves around the Indianapolis area, as well as other events. The foundation is Paul Fangman Jr. Foundation.

All 3 of us who volunteer are patients of Dr. Craig Hermann from JWM Neurology, he is the research focused neurologist for the group, and a couple other MS fighters go to other neuro's in the group. You can google the group, and see about them, again, im unsure where your moving at in indiana, but JWM has offices surrounding indianapolis, hope this helps, feel free to find me on facebook too,

Sean Davis
                (wearing an orange lei)
                Diagnosed 3/3/2010 with Multiple Sclerosis

Comment

Originally posted by CharLee725 View Post
                  For 10 years I have been suffering for symptoms that my primary care physician has often said sounded like MS, but until recently there was no evidence. About a month ago he had me get a brain MRI (he has once a year for the past 5 years), and this time there were brain lesions. He said he knew they would show up eventually and was glad in that he felt I know could get treatment and hopefully feel better. He referred me to the only neurologist on our island (I live in Hawaii) and I left the appointment in tears. He was so rude and called me a liar when I told him my symptoms. I told him my physician has recorded my symptoms for years and that I was approved for Social Security in 5 months because of my symptoms, and am now permanently disabled. He told me there was no way I could be experiencing symptoms of MS because while I have brain lesions he told me they are "not in the right place for MS". I asked him what could be causing my symptoms and the lesions and he told me that there was nothing wrong with me and that he could not help me and made me feel like I made it all up.

I have suffered for so many years and my quality of life is terrible. What do I do from here? My physician is still convinced that I have MS. And though I really don't want to have MS, it was the first time that a diagnosis made sense. And with a diagnosis comes help and treatment. Any advise?
                  This sort of stuff makes all of us so mad. How any doctors thinks treatment such as this can help a person is beyond me. Can you afford to go to the Big Island or one of the other Islands to see a neuro there? I know it can be pricy to commute back and forth, but if you can get diagnosed then maybe your regular doctor can help maintain the treatment.

I am really sorry your going through this. How awful you must feel. Maybe you can also look for an MS group that meets so that you can see how others manage their care.

Keep us posted and we wish you the best.

Comment

Working...
                  X