Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

i've decided not to take the meds... I have a ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Meds?

Well Iam a very new poster however have been dx since 2003. I can only share my experience with this MS thing. I have taken and attempted to use a few of thye DMD. Copa, Rebif, and Avonex are ths ones I have tried but Iam still in denial. I start them then stop them. I will let you know that I have had my share of flareups over the yrs and still I remain in denial. I just got back from Bahamas June 19th and have been in a flareup since the 20th. It has been the worst one ever. This flareup really brought me out of denial. I now know that just for myself, I will be going back on Avonex and staying on it. I am in the RR phase and just had more MRI's done today after my 3days of decadron. Prayerfully Iam still in the RR stages of MS. There is no cure for this thing and no guarantees. So, I would rather take the meds in hopes that they will sustain my body as oppose to not taking the meds and later find out that they would have sustained me a littel longer. However; these choices are to each its own.

Comment

Hey Sunshine,

I Quit Avonex after 12 years last December... and I feel the same accept I am not sick for an extra 18-48 hours a week.

After dealing with the side effects for so long I just decided to only use treatments that make me feel better.

Strict diet, regular exercise, as much rest as possible.....same stuff anybody my age that wants to be fit has to do?

No DMD's for 6 months+ and so far I would have to say; I feel better without it.

Was it wise? time will tell...???

Comment

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
        Hi STEVEP,

The first and only treatment for MS was Betaseron in 1993, Avonex was not FDA approved until 2003. Maybe you are confused about the medications you have taken?
        A little confused here ... Avonex was the first drug I was on. I was on it from 1998-2003. Was I taking a non-FDA-approved drug?

Comment

No, Tundra, Snoopy already posted that she made an error. It was FDA-approved in 1996. I was on it myself for 3+ years.
          “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
          Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I use copaxone and it doesn't have the side effects of the interferons. Everytime I take a shot I think, "that's one more day I get to spend with my grandson." I would take as many shots a day as necessary to keep my health as good as possible.

You can improve your overall health with yoga, diets and other things, but controlling the monster that is MS is something I wouldn't leave to chance, especially with a 12 year old.

Comment

Oh... providence

[B]
              Sunshine, I have a 12 yo daughter as well. I took an interferon last year, with disasterous results. My Neuro said that Copaxone my only option.

Well, I took one injection June 2nd of this year and... no more. I have no problem with needles and I deal with pain pretty well. I was diagnosed in 2008 folowing an emergency hospitaization for Transverse Melytis; I was there for 10 days, and released relunctantly. I have remarried since that time and am happy-- or I should say, all of the ingredients are present for happiness. It is more appropriate for me to say that I am oh so grateful and feel bleesed beyond what words can adequately express.

My mood swings are horrific; I never have energy; I have pain, spacicity, burning, "ms hug," bouts of itching that are indescribable. Worst of all: the damn cognitive deficits = STM loss; working memory pxs; confusion; and @ times I am a bit aphasic.

I conclude that I am just tired of it all. I have faced much adversity in my life- but I never gave up. Here's where the Providence comes in: thanks to your thread and the subsequent posts, I am taking my copaxone injection in about an hour!

My sincere and heartfelt thanks to all of you who relayed your experiences. I swear, I've always had a positive attitude... and it's not for lack of trying- I simply haven't been capable of recapturing my optimism. I believe you guys have captured it for me-- know that I'll think of all of you each time it crosses my mind to cease txment. I thank you; as does my wonderful husband and my beloved daughter. My daughter, who is as vital to my existance as is oxygen.

Again, thanks to all of you. Sunshine, keep us posted sweetie. Love and Light...
              Shalom,
              Suz
              [
              You never fail, until you stop trying__Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
              X