B12 deficiency

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

B12 deficiency

My neuro gave me a "probable" MS dx a few weeks ago--he's 99% sure. We are still trying to rule things in/out. My b12 levels were at the very low end of the "normal" range, so the Dr started me on B12 injections yesterday (daily for 7 days, then weekly for a month, then monthly).

From what I've read, quite a few people with MS also deal with b12 issues, so my guess is that even if my symptoms improve, that doesn't necessarily rule out MS.

Does anyone here have experience with B12 issues related to MS?

Yes. From what I understand, it's pretty common to have low B12 with MS.

Comment

B12

I don't have B12 deficiency, but I have a borderline high Homocysteine, which is related to B12. My neuro said to take a B12 supplement. B12 deficiency was one of the things he ruled out before diagnosing the MS.

Comment

My B12 level is low and I have to be on therapy as well. I don't know if it has anything to do with MS but I know it doens't rule it out.

Good luck, I hope all works out the way you'd like for it to.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

I have low to very low serum B12 levels on a regular basis - it used to be passed off on the celiac disease, then was eventually decided it was due to pernicious anemia. I also have low vit D (common in a lot of people), and more recently developed iron-deficiency anemia. My diet isn't terrible; I see a dietician once a month or so and she's at a loss to explain.

B12 (and for me, the D and Fe) is very easy to supplement, and a very easy item to tack on to your regular bloodwork for monitoring. It's one of the few things we can "fix" without any heavy lifting or miracles.

Comment

if anything the b12 should make you feel somewhat better. good luck.
            Jen Dx'd 5/11
            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

I have B12 deficiency. It was found when I was going through tests for MS. From what the doctor told me and from what I've read, B12 deficiency, pernious anemia, can cause many of the same symptoms of MS. I had to be on B12 therapy (injections) for several months and then have a flair before the doctor would start considering MS.

Very frustrating....

Comment

I don't have B12 deficiency but I do take B12 injections when my "buzzing" returns. Works great for that!!!

Comment

Working...
                X