1st Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1st Time

Okay, the wimp (ME) did the 1st Copaxone injection. I did the whining, gnashing of teeth and 'poor me' stuff. Got it over with.

A very nice nurse/injection trainer patiently showed me how to do it. That training is worthwhile.

I finally did the injection (into my arm, which I'm told is the most painful). Since this is my first injection I will have to let this stand until I do another.

I think I'll do the leg this evening.

So, yep it did hurt. Not the injection though. What hurts is the medication as it disperses into the capillaries.

I agree that the Copaxone auto inject works great and the needle can be set for depths which are very shallow.

I learned you don't push down hard at the injection site. There is no need to do that and if you push hard you will end up with divits. You might have them anyway, but why not try to 'not' get them.

Anyway, I'm hopeful that I can do this and will get some relief from the effort.

Diane
    You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

way to go on your first injection!!!! it only gets easier with each one.

dave
    hunterd/HuntOP/Dave
    volunteer
    MS World
    hunterd@msworld.org
    PPMS DX 2001

"ADAPT AND OVERCOME" - MY COUSIN

Comment

Good deal, Diane!

Comment

Hi Diane- good job, we are tougher than we think, right!?

I remember when the nurse came to my house to show me how to do the Beta injections. I made sure hubby was there too so he could get all the info and make sure I would be doing it right.

I thought to myself- boy, I'm never going to be able to do this. Well, I did do it, just took me afew months to get it down pat and feel somewhat comfortable doing it.

Kudos to you girl!!

Comment

Great Job Diane!!!

When I started, I would use an ice pack on the injection site for 5 minutes to take care of the burning. I can say that & the other minor site reactions lessened over time for me

Take Care, Bob

Comment

Thank You!

I appreciate everyone's words. It helps.

I'm on #4 today. Interesting to try all the sights out.

I suppose my technique will improve with time.

I do pretty good. My numb hands make it difficult, but not impossible.

Diane
            You cannot dream yourself into a character; you must hammer and forge yourself one.

Comment

I have been on Copaxone for a few years and love how thin and sharp the needles are, vary painless. I just get a shot out and set it my night stand, and inject when a wake-up. It is not just part of my going to bed and waking up routine, like brushing my teeth, barely don’t even have to think about it.

I have no fat in my arms and so I have never been able to give myself shot there, and just a months ago when talking to Shard Solution they told me to talk to my doctor and ask for other shot sites. Well I end-up increasing my shot areas a lot more then they recommend. I think you wait to inject into fatty areas, and recommend everyone on copaxone asking their doctor. I accidently went IM in my thigh one time and end up with a fist size rash for a few days

Don
              Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir-Voor View Post
                I have been on Copaxone for a few years and love how thin and sharp the needles are, vary painless. I just get a shot out and set it my night stand, and inject when a wake-up. It is not just part of my going to bed and waking up routine, like brushing my teeth, barely don’t even have to think about it.

I have no fat in my arms and so I have never been able to give myself shot there, and just a months ago when talking to Shard Solution they told me to talk to my doctor and ask for other shot sites. Well I end-up increasing my shot areas a lot more then they recommend. I think you wait to inject into fatty areas, and recommend everyone on copaxone asking their doctor. I accidently went IM in my thigh one time and end up with a fist size rash for a few days

Don
                Lucky you...no fat. I have too much! I find the arms the most sensitive.

When you started C did you have an injection trainer. M neuro sends one out to help and it makes a difference.

I also got a binder from C which has a CD to watch that covers everything.

It shows a variety of sites you can inject into. It also shows how you can change the needle depth with the auto inject.

I'm new to this and maybe it won't go so smoothly over the long run, but just now I'm grateful it isn't too bad.

The needle is nothing. The pain is from the medication expanding the capillaries...just like a bee sting.

I guess you get used to it.

Check out the Copaxone site on-line. They have lots of info.

Diane

Comment

Diane,

LOL, I have too much fat also just not in my arms.

My wife is a nurse so a trainer was not needed, and been on other MS drugs. I hated the IM shots, had to have wife do give them to me a lot.

I used the binder’s site map for years and only recently found out I could use areas out the recommend areas.

I prefer manual injecting over auto inject, but I started with auto inject. I think both are equally as easy, ether way it will can easier and easier the more you do them.

One little tip, I find empty laundry detergent bottles make great sharp containers.

I wish you good luck with your MS and Copaxone.

Don
                  Give life meaning, live life by the 9 Noble Virtues.

Comment

GOD BLESS !

Wishin you all the BEST ! My turn is coming : - (
                    Was diagnosed 4-31-10. Hopefully in 10 days or so the
                    nurse will be coming to my house. This is my 1st time on the site ( not a computer person ) and my first post .
                    I'm a 50 yr. old male in NJ ... and I feel soo lucky to have made it this far ... I picked rebiff for some reason... ? only time will tell
                    Again ~ GOD BLESS !

Comment

Working...
                    X