stress doesn't cause MS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stress doesn't cause MS

I nearly fell out of bed when on the local news they reported that they found that stress does not "cause" MS

Really! LOL is this were all the research money is going to.

Stress "aggrevates" our symptoms we all new that.

Come on guys lets work on what we "don't" know. Maybe at the cellular level.

Linda

Information about stress and MS from the National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...oad.aspx?id=16
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

The news report you heard was probably based on an article like the one below or similar. Many with MS have wondered and tried to relate the cause of developing MS to stressful life events.

The study indicates stress does not cause or trigger MS:
      http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/226902.php

I wanted to add this part to the first post but got distracted by my adult son
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I can see this being misinterpreted

I noticed this when you posted & now saw it "trending" on yahoo & was able to take a better look.
        http://www.latimes.com/health/booste...tory?track=rss
        So far there are no comments on the comment section & I'm curious to know what people think. The last thing I want to hear is "so what if you're stressed, candycane. It's not like it will make your MS worse"

Comment

candycane,

I have an anxiety disorder/panic disorder as a direct result of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD). Because there are "triggers" it's not uncommon for me to deal with "stress" on the extreme side.

I have never had "stress" worsen or cause problems with the MS. I believe what many with MS deal with is not necessarily a worsening of MS symptoms due to stress but the actual symptoms of stress.

Stress, regardless of health, can cause numerous symptoms, symptoms similar to MS.

The effects stress can cause for anyone:
          http://www.stress.org/topic-effects.htm

Please read the article by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society as it has quite a bit of information on this subject.

Learning ways to cope with stress can minimize the effects of stress.
          Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Hello

For me, stress, or anxiety, or being nervous (not sure if they're all considered the same thing) causes my MS symptoms to be more pronounced.

For example, I am asked on occasion to get up in front of an audience to give a talk. Sometimes I get really nervous when there is a large audience.

During this "nervous" time, my affected arm bends and draws up tight to my body (arm across my abdomen) and shakes. My head has minor tremors/shaking. And my legs will barely move to walk.

When the extreme nervousness abates, my body goes back to my usual MS state.

Extreme cold and heat affect my symptoms also.

Take care,
            KoKo
            PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I have a panic/anxiety disorder, and I've noticed two things. When I'm having anxiety issues, all my symptoms are magnified.

But one thing that happened to me - well, stress I believe did cause me to relapse. Maybe the relapse would have happened anyway, but my father was in a coma after a surgery that was, for him, risky. Three days into the coma, I had a relapse that lasted for over a month. It was the first time I'd ever had one last that long. And that was with oral steroids.
              Diagnosis: May, 2008
              Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Severe stress has always caused a flare, looking back at the long cycle I went through. That includes accidents: whenever I had one, it caused a flare.

Comment

It is not my intention to diminish or invalidate how someone may feel under stress or how stress can affect a person. Stress/anxiousness/anxiety/worry can have a negative effect...on anyone, even someone without MS.

The original poster (soccer3) made reference to an news report that indicated stress does not cause someone to develope MS. These findings were based on a long term clinical study.

At this time there is no definitive information that stress causes exacerbations or a worsening of the disease.

The symptoms of stress, anxiety, depression and MS overlap one another. This can make understanding your symptoms difficult.

There are ways to diminish or minimize the affects stress/anxiety/depression can have on you...exercise, yoga, meditation, therapy (learning new coping skills), ect.

Life is full of stressors, learning how to cope with them can make a difference. From The National Multiple Sclerosis Society:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/liv...ess/index.aspx
                  Diagnosed 1984

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post

For example, I am asked on occasion to get up in front of an audience to give a talk. Sometimes I get really nervous when there is a large audience.
                    Hi Koko:

Talking in front of an audience is human's second biggest fear, the first one being fear of death .
                    First episode with third pregnancy
                    On my fourth med: Tysabri since Jan 2013
                    Proud mommy of three children

Comment

I've found I go better under stress, when I'm anxious, or worried, or need to get something done yesterday. Apparently your body releases cortisol, which is not unlike prednisone, when you're stressed.
                      When I'm physically tired, that's when it gets bad. But that's me. I don't think there's any hard and fast rule.

Comment

I have had three flares. I don't know what brought on one, but the other two were a week before finals started.....so i am pretty sure with five kids and five classes that falls under the category of "severe stress." LOL.
                        Sasha - dx January 2011; tysarbi, zanaflex, gabapentin, and baclofen
                        ~Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it is about learning to dance in the rain.~

Comment

my stress test

My right arm along with my middle, ring and pinkie finger burn and hurt when I am REALLY stressed. I use it as my stress meter. Unfortunately, it has been very active lately due to crazy things going on at work. Good thing it lessens when I calm down.

Comment

Stress and anxiety tend to wire me, I get an adrenalyn (sp, sorry) rush, not so much energy to accomplish anything but I don't sleep and my brain feels wired. Then, when it's all over I crash. I'm not sure it's an MS crash, though. I think it's just that I've used up every bit of spare energy.
                            What if trials of this life
                            Are Your mercies in disguise?
                            "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Working...
                            X