Elderly mother and caring sister

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elderly mother and caring sister

My mother just had her 93rd birthday today and she is bright and perky as opposed to me. I'm only 58 and feel
    on the edge of ruin. I worked in a lot of jobs that didn't pay into social security and as a result my social security disability is below the poverty line. I'd never make it if it weren't for living with my mother. Her father lived to be almost 103 and she seems to take after him so I'm secure for now but I don't know who will go first, mom or me.
    If she goes first then I won't have enough money to live on but my sister Susie said, "I'll never let my brother
    be homeless and sleeping under a bridge hungry."
    I have RRMS. My question is what is the life expectancy for those with MS? I've heard MS doesn't kill you directly but people with MS die of other things such as pneumonia, perhaps mostly those who have PPMS. We who have MS are more vulnerable.
    Show 'em who's got guts. Don't back down - Brian Wilson
    ******Surfer ED******

Originally posted by Edge Of Ruin View Post
    My mother just had her 93rd birthday today and she is bright and perky as opposed to me. I'm only 58 and feel
    on the edge of ruin. I worked in a lot of jobs that didn't pay into social security and as a result my social security disability is below the poverty line. I'd never make it if it weren't for living with my mother. Her father lived to be almost 103 and she seems to take after him so I'm secure for now but I don't know who will go first, mom or me.
    If she goes first then I won't have enough money to live on but my sister Susie said, "I'll never let my brother
    be homeless and sleeping under a bridge hungry."
    I have RRMS. My question is what is the life expectancy for those with MS? I've heard MS doesn't kill you directly but people with MS die of other things such as pneumonia, perhaps mostly those who have PPMS. We who have MS are more vulnerable.
    Last I heard, MSers live an average of 5 years less than the norm. I don't think any of us with M.S. hasn't had their share of their financial freak out moments - how could you not? It's like the worst aspect of this disease...taking away your ability to work during the prime of your life! I don't know if this helps, but M.S. makes me happy I'm happy an American. There are enough programs for M.S.ers to get by, anyway. Contact your local MS Society and find out what options are available. And don't worry so much. It isn't good for you!
    Tawanda

Comment

Originally posted by Edge Of Ruin View Post
      I have RRMS. My question is what is the life expectancy for those with MS? I've heard MS doesn't kill you directly but people with MS die of other things such as pneumonia, perhaps mostly those who have PPMS.
      We who have MS are more vulnerable.
      Having PPMS myself...I just love these type of statements.

Comment

Tawanda is bang on. Five years less than the norm, on average. That 'on average' basically means 'who knows?'.
        Depends on the course of the disease, depends on whether you've got a history of heart disease or cancer in the family and, I've heard, suicide used to, and probably still does, have a big impact on average life expectancy for people with MS.
        Of course, the longest life is not necessary the happiest life.
        Good luck.

Comment

Can you talk to your mother about your concerns? I know a family that left their schizophrenic daughter a trust fund because they knew she would need help paying rent etc.

"If it ain't in writing it ain't so" is very true imo so if you are counting on your mother's financial support I would put it out there now and sooner rather than later because of her advanced age. Good luck.
          He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
          Anonymous

Comment

Working...
          X