Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what was best med you ever used?

hi

so i just posted that i chose avonex to use. than i read more carefully anyone with any existing heart issues at all shouldn't use. i experience heart palpatations for years now.

so, i know you guys know so much more than me because i'm a newbie yet what was your best med experience, the safest, most effective that you felt better with??

thanks for the info...... slowly learning
    Jen Dx'd 5/11
    "Live each day as if it were your last"

I use Copaxone. Found out yesturday that it IS working for me. The DMDs will not make you feel better...they just change the way MS reacts in your body. If anything, unfortunately, the DMDs will make you feel worse until your body gets used to it. I have heard that Tysabri makes alot of people feel a little bit better But for Tysabri scares me and I will wait for the big guns until I NEED them. No use in wearing out a last resort if something else will work for now.

I think of it as a stepping stone....ya know start with the lesser of all and move up the ladder until you find one that works. Right now for me, Copaxone is working and that works for me. Being the least of all evils in my book, I'll stick with it until it doesn't work then move on

Keep asking questions, keep researching....as the society says "Knowledge is Power" and they are right. Also, if you really need a person to talk directly with...your ms society will the 800# for MS Friends. You can talk directly with someone that has MS and knows where you are coming from. They are usually pretty up to date about all the happenings with MS and all the drugs available as well. Good luck to you!
    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

I've been on 4 meds now with allergic reactions to the first 3; rebif, copaxone then beta. Very high anxiety towards the shots, too which I think was a side effect of the med as well as a phobia. They got worse and worse rather than better as time went on.

I'm on Ty now and although I don't feel better I sure do prefer the once a month poke and be done with it for awhile. I tested neg. for anti-bodies so that helps me feel better too.
      What if trials of this life
      Are Your mercies in disguise?
      "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

For me, the medication with the best result was Copaxone. My initial med was Avonex, and I had episodes every six months. The flu like side effects didn't go away, and it caused seizures in me. Once I got on the Copaxone, it worked great for about 14 months. I was just amazed at the difference. Unfortuantely, it stopped working in January. I've had two episodes since then, so I'm switching meds again, likely to Tysabri. But for those 14 months, I was amazed, and some lesions in my head actually healed!
        Diagnosis: May, 2008
        Avonex, Copaxone, Tysabri starting 8/17/11

Comment

Have been on Avonex for 14 years and doing pretty well considering the MonSter.

Comment

i'm happy for all of you who have found a med that works well for them.

it isnt' easy playing the med game at all. i played it for years with my little one i think i was being prepped for this.

i just met with a friend tonight whose friend also has ms and an aunt with whom never took meds and just changed entire diet to organic and al supplments healed lesions in head no more lesions. very crazy stuff.
            Jen Dx'd 5/11
            "Live each day as if it were your last"

Comment

My med is Prokarin. NO more shots. It works for me. Its been reducing the MS symptoms and allowing me to walk and move better, decreasing the cog fog, slurred speech, balance issues, etc. Its been almost 4 months since I have started and I continue to do well. I love the stuff and its effects on my health. No more flares. I used to flare very often. I was going downhill before it.

I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by rosepetals View Post
                My med is Prokarin. NO more shots. It works for me. Its been reducing the MS symptoms and allowing me to walk and move better, decreasing the cog fog, slurred speech, balance issues, etc. Its been almost 4 months since I have started and I continue to do well. I love the stuff and its effects on my health. No more flares. I used to flare very often. I was going downhill before it.

I love it.
                I tried to find it, nothing came up is there another name?

Comment

The best med for me was LDN. I'd still be taking it if I hadn't developed a rare allergic reaction to it.

The only other DMD I've taken is Copaxone, but I discontinued it after a year due to unacceptable side effects.

Comment

Avonex

I've been self-injecting Avonex for 14 years. . .so far, so good so to speak. I've still had a few mild relapes and mild progression but I feel Avonex has done what it's supposed to do: slow disease progression. Most importantly, my MRI's have been stable and my liver enzyme testing has always been good. *cross your fingers*

Best of luck as you begin your Avonex journey!
                    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's learning to dance in the rain!

Comment

Working...
                    X