Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi. I was just diagnosed the same week that my second child turned 1. It has been a very crazy time for me. So now I've been on Avonex for 7 months. I'm finally past the side effects the medicine for the most part, which is good. But I still am "needle phobic". Does anyone else who takes Avonex go to the doctor to once a week and have someone else do the shot for them? Just wondered if anyone out there does that? It would soooo increase my quality of life that could be an option....

Maybe you could get a friend, husband or relative to do it for you?

When my son was on Avonex I gave him all his shots

Good luck
    Dedra
    Son with MS

Comment

I had it done at the doc for a while when my wife was out of town. It's nice if the doc can do it or if you can get someone. Incidentally, needlephobic people should not choose Avonex. Even though one needle, it's a big un and there is no autoinjector. You might be happier with one of the other meds, fyi

Comment

Ok. Thank you guys. I see my neurologist in a few weeks. She was hinting around at my last appointment about copaxone. I like the once a week with the avonex. And now that I've been on it for 7 months I don't really have the flu like side effects anymore the next day. Another option would be the smaller needle (w/ avonex). Right now I'm on the 23x1 1/4 needle . I've heard there is a 20% smaller size needle that is thinner and shorter. That could be an option too hopefully.

Comment

I'm on Medicare but have an alternate drug plan, so I have to go in to the doctor once a week to get my shot. Frankly, I'd rather do it myself, rather than driving in to the doctor's office every week. If you're needle phobic, I'm not sure Copaxone would be good for you: smaller needle, but every day, you'd have to be the judge.
          Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day that says, "I will try again tomorrow."

Comment

Ouch

I use the 27 gauge it slides in soo much better. It it not endorsed by Biogen but works fine. I do not like needles one a week is enough for me. I inject slowly.
            Some pharmacies will give injections also.... Good luck.

Comment

Pharmacies? I'll have to check that out. Thanks alot everyone.

Comment

Try getting hold of Biogen, they have a pen sort of device here in Australia that does the jab part of it for you, all you have to do then is depress the plunger and take the needle out again.

I hate it too, more so since I don't seem to be able to do the injection without bleeding a fair amount. But I'd rather leave the other meds for a time that the Avonex stops working so I still have all the other options available to work through.

I get my husband to do my injections when I can, but there are times I just have to suck it up and do them myself

Give me subcutaneous injections any day.

All the best, hope you find a solution.
                Teresa
                Diagnosis February 2011 Avonex: February 2011 - September 2011, Copaxone: September 2011 - current

Comment

If you have minimal side effects with the Avonex...I too would stay with it IMO I think that you would be disappointed to start Copaxone and have to take a shot everyday. Yes it's a tiny needle but it's still a needle. And it stings like a bee sting until your body gets used to it. I personally take Copaxone and LOVE it...but it took awhile to get my body to accept it and still sometimes it stings pretty good yet. I would talk to your docs and see if you can go in once a week and have a nurse inject you...couldn't hurt. That's what I would do.
                  Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
                  Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Working...
                  X