Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legs being numb, difficulty walking

Hi all,
    I'm in a total sensory relapse, as my nuero called it. My legs feel like they're in giant casts, and it's pretty hard to walk. The numbness continues to about my waistline, and of course, there's the fatigue and dizziness if I bend over. It's not painful most of the time, but it's a pretty big downer. I'm only 24 with relapsing/remitting diagnosed since August 2009, and this is by far the worst relapse I've ever had. I've had the eye problems and the neuralgia, and steroids have always kicked the problem. But this is day 4 of steroid therapy. I've been sorta pushing myself to make sure I get up and move around because I have this fear that I'm going to end up in a wheelchair.
    I guess, after all the complaining (sorry ), that my biggest question to anyone out there is: Has anyone else experienced this? How long did it take to go away? What helped? Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Hello hummy,

I have been numb 3 times from the waist down. Each of those times I have recovered with no residual numbness.
    However, there was much more to those 3 exacerbations and it took time, frustration, tears and work on my part to regain my mobility.

The exacerbation it's self was about 4 to 6 weeks with recovery taking longer. Each of us will have different time frames for exacerbations...there is no average or normal when MS related.

I think it's good you are getting up and moving around but try not to over do it. Take it slow and walk around within your home a few times a day. As you feel stronger and more capable you can extend the distance...slowly. Balance your ability to move with rest.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I can't say that I've been numb from the waist down before but I have had numb hands/feet during a relapse, which is still relatively disabling. I will say that neurontin helped me ALOT with my numbness, and eventually the relapse subsided and a few weeks later the numbness left. I'm also in my early 20's (21) so I understand the fear of possibly being crippled by MS so young, it can drive you crazy Feel better soon.

~Elly
      I choose to live and to grow, take and give and to move, learn and love and to cry, kill and die and to be paranoid and to lie, hate and fear and to do what it takes to move through.

Comment

Working...
      X