Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newly diagnosed - which medication??

Hello all,

I was just diagnosed and am trying to decide which medication to go with. My Neuro is wanting me to choose between Copaxone and Rebif. I am sure they each have their pros and cons but would like to hear them from "users". Not docs and drug mfr literature.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks
    Heather
    Dx'd 5/23/11

I'm new too.DX in March and have been on Copaxone for a month. No side effects so far, you get used to the daily shots quick and they are pretty much painless. Good luck
    ROBERT
    DX 4/11 COPAXONE

Comment

I'd actually start with the National MS Society page before we overwhelm you. There's a lot of good material there, which makes comparing them easier.

Comment

What it really comes down to is your lifestyle and and the side effects since they have roughly the same efficacy. I chose Copaxone because the side effects were less worrisome to me, and it was worth injecting every day to avoid them. The injection with either is about one minute--very quick!

That being said, plenty of people also do very well on Rebif and don't have issues with the side effects (liver enzymes, thyroid) that are more common with that med, so it's really a question of your own health issues, what you are comfortable with, etc. They inject less often, but may have flu-like side effects. Whether you can deal with that is a personal decision.

Every person here will have a different answer, but since you asked for actual user opinions, that's mine. Remember that you can always switch meds, too; the one you choose isn't set in stone if it turns out to not be the best one for you.

Good luck with your decision!

Comment

I chose Copaxone mainly because the side effects are minimal besides the site injection ickies I don't want the flu feelings or having my liver monitered. The shots do have a little sting afterwards but using a ice pack after the shot works well for me.
          Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
          Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

I use Copaxone because it seemed to me that the side effects were less than the rest of the options. It lets me work full time without the flu like side effects that the others have. Do your research to see what will work for your lifestyle. It is your choice but if you are not happy with your first choice you can always change.
            "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

I am on Rebif and the flu like symptoms aren't that bad and do go away after a few months, but I hate the injection bruises and red marks. Does Copaxone also leave the marks?

Comment

I started my treatment with Rebif. I didn't really mind it too much; the three times a week injections were nice. I had a lot of problems with flu like symptoms if I forgot to take advil before the injection. Occasionally I'd get some bruising but nothing I couldn't handle.

The problem was I still had a lot of relapses, more so than was normal for a person using Rebif and it working. So my neurologist wanted to take me off Rebif and suggested Tysabri or Gilenya. I was VERY concerned about possible side effects so we decided to give Copaxone a shot.

I've been on it for a little over three months and it did take some adjusting. The daily injection schedule was annoying at first, and I'm not fond of the injection site reactions (large welts, "bee sting", occasional itching) but overall I'm happy having switched.

Comment

Originally posted by Diane S View Post
                  I am on Rebif and the flu like symptoms aren't that bad and do go away after a few months, but I hate the injection bruises and red marks. Does Copaxone also leave the marks?
                  I get large lumps, usually pink to red, that last about 4 days with Copaxone. Actually Copaxone's claim to fame is the site reactions.

Comment

Originally posted by Alicious View Post
                    I get large lumps, usually pink to red, that last about 4 days with Copaxone. Actually Copaxone's claim to fame is the site reactions.
                    I agree!! I like your analogy though "claim to fame" that's great!!
                    Love, Laugh, Live...in this order
                    Dx'd 2-24-11 - Baclofen 60 mg/day 5-11, LDN 4.5 mg/day 9-24-11, Cymbalta 60mg/day for pain 11-11

Comment

Aw, thanks!

I will say they are sloooooowly getting better now that I've been on it for 6 months. Hopefully yours will ease up some by the end of this summer.

Comment

Been on both

I have taken both Copaxone and Rebif. Copaxone is extremely well tolerated aside from minor skin "welts". I had a terrible time with Rebif. Continuous muscle aching. flu-like feelings all the time. Did not go away even after 6 months. Major impact on my quality of life. Some people get used to side effects, however and are able to take it for years.

good luck on your decision and remember it is not a decision you need to make forever - you can change if needed.
                        Dx: 2001
                        Currently on Tysabri since Dec 2010
                        Feel lucky to be doing so well!

Comment

I am a Rebif user and have been for over 10 years. I did have some really minor issues with the flu-like stuff at the very beginning but if I took some advil prior to the shot it was nothing at all. They lasted maybe a few weeks-it's been so long ago that I can't remember exactly. But it never interferred with working or my life.

I also had a few issues with red marks after shooting up but, they vanished when the Rebif folks changed the needle gauge many years ago. I can't even tell where i inject now except if I maybe hit a small blood vessel which I did last week. So I have a bruise on my upper leg that would only show if I wore a bikini. (IF is the operative word here). I warm up the dose by putting it in my bra and heat up the shot area with a heating pad. That is all the prep I do. I rub the shot area afterwards which is all I do to avoid any lumpiness which I never have unless I hit a blood vessel.

I used to keep up with where I shoot but that has been years ago. Now I generally just try to shift from one side of my hip to the other or to my leg or tummy. Like I said before, from Monday to Wednesday night-I can't even see anything to tell where I gave myself a shot.

I have never had problems with traveling with my shots. I have never had problems with my insurance and the shots. The pain from the shot is tiny. Perfect shots don't hurt at all. Less than perfect shots hurt for a second-maybe.

I am on the M-W-F night schedule which works for me.

I have not had a single relapse since starting Rebif.

Before I started Rebif, my choices were Rebif and Coxpane and my neuro thought the Rebif would work better for me and I went with it.

Good luck!

lydialou

Comment

Working...
                          X