What can I expect....1st neuro appt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can I expect....1st neuro appt

On Wed. I see my neurologist for the first time. My primary doctor is the one who had the MRI done and has diagnosed MS due to my symptoms and "numerous" lesions on my brain.

I've been struggling with the numbness, dizziness, weak, wobbly legs and the horrendous fatigue. My question is, what will most likely happen at my first neuro appt and can I expect him to put me on some kind of medication right away? At the VERY LEAST I feel like I need help with this fatigue. I cannot continue to function like this

Also, will he most likely order another MRI to check my spinal cord? The first MRI was of my brain only. And how common is it to have a spinal tap too? It seems like some of you have had them and some haven't. I wonder what the criteria is for a doctor to order a spinal tap?

Well sorry for ALL you are struggling with. But welcome to MS world. We'll help you get through all this "newness" ok?

This is a lot to take in. BUT the MS neurologist is the one who makes the diagnosis and sets up the treatment. Yes the fatigue is horrible but there are meds that help.

And..if it is Relapsing-Remitting MS your symptoms will lessen if not disappear. Many of us have done it all: raised our families, continued to work and deal with these symptoms. Educating your family is very important as you will need their help and support even more.

Just know that you WILL get through this..so whatever you need to ask or share, we'll be here to help and support you. Please know that hon.

Keep us informed of your journey~

Warmly, Jan
    I believe in miracles~!
    2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
    Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

The neurologist will ask you alot of questions about your symptoms and the progression of them. Then he/she will perform a complete Nero exam on you. Order a MRI of your spine with and without contrast. They may also do the brain again if it was not with contrast. They will discuss meds to help with your symptoms and start some. It is best to bring someone with you because alot of information will be given to you that day and they can help describe your symptoms to the doctor. Write down questions and a list of your symptoms before you go. It is easy to forget to ask or talk about something. Hope this helps. Good luck.
      "Dogs are not our whole life but they make our lives whole."

Comment

I agree with what Jan said but wanted to send you well wishes, too. Hang in there, a step at a time, frustrating but in the long run it's better.
        What if trials of this life
        Are Your mercies in disguise?
        "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Be sure to ask some of the simple stuff to like, "for what reasons should I call you (neuro)", or "what reasons should I call the PCP, or just go to the ER". Your DR will be happy to tell you. Remember... MS is like the Military... 'hurry up to wait'. So if you don't get your particular treatment rihttp://www.msworld.org/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gifght then after waiting two months and s/he wants you to come back 3 months later... don't be discouraged! Just come back here and talk it out, we are here for you.
          Tigger13039

Comment

Every neuro is different. Your neuro might not make you go back to get your c-spine done and might not do a tone of additional testing. My MRI was classic MS, all kinds of Dawson's fingers and lots of lesions right around areas of cerebro-spinal fluid. Combined with my past history (Optic neuritis and vertigo spell) my neuro felt comfortable diagnosing me.

What I recommend and still do is to write out all your questions. When I went to my first appointment I had a list of questions for if I was diagnosed, if she said it wasn't and if she wasn't sure. That made it easier so I didn't miss out on asking what I wanted to say.

If you get diagnosed your neuro will probably through out what he or she thinks are your best drug options. I'd researched enough before hand to know what I wanted (highly recommend), but don't feel like you have to make up your mind then and there if you're not ready. Also, ask the neuro what they think about the drugs. For me an important thing in choosing my drug (in addition to the fact that I already wanted it) was that it's what my neuro said she would be on if it were her. Feel free to ask those kinds of questions.

I hope your appointment goes well. Keep us posted!

Comment

Working...
            X