The waiting is the hardest part...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The waiting is the hardest part...

I think Tom Petty said it best when he sang this oldie.
    I am curently waiting for results from my LP. I have 2 lesions in my spine, and my neuro wants the LP reults before making a diagnosis. I am waiting and waiting to hear from him and it is stressing me out! The people that post here have a great sense of humor, a great sense of community and it seems like a great place to tell people how you feel. I am feeling stressed because I have to wait...I know, I know...everyone feels this way I am certain.

As I said in an earlier post about the reason I have to wait (a shortage of the enzyme that detects MS in spinal fluid), I have been reading and reading here at MS World. It seems to me as MSer's you guys do a lot of waiting, for test results, dr call backs, new symptoms, ect. I am putting out an 'all call'. Tell me what you guys do during this period of perpetual waiting. I would love some suggestions so that I can put them to good use. I am working everyday and my kids are a big distraction in a good way. What else can I do while I wait?
    Thanks-
    See
    ~seeuinct (Connecticut)
    Dx the first time: 10/25/11
    Avonex 1/12-10/12
    Revaluation of Dx 10/12
    Rediagnosis 7/14

As i said in your other post the waiting is sooo hard. sometimes, I think it's God's way of teaching me patience. I'm not sure I want to learn the lesson that much though.
    What if trials of this life
    Are Your mercies in disguise?
    "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

Hi seeu,

I'm EXACTLY where you are right now, I had my first LP last Tuesday and currently waiting for results. I called this past Tuesday leaving a message that I wish to find out what's up, when can I get results, etc. but I haven't heard back yet and it's Friday. I put out a question a few days ago about how long it takes to get LP results, and I got several answers that averaged about 10 days to 2 weeks or more. My next neuro appt. is June 17 and I don't think I'm going to let them make me wait that long if they know something, good or bad.

As far as what to do while waiting, I just live my life, try to keep busy and stay positive. I have shared my situation with my friends, so they've been a source of great support. I read up and learn, and lurk around here on MSWorld a lot. I spend extra time with my kids. I try to squeeze in some time at the gym or go for a walk. I watch a lot of Comedy Central for some extra laughs, the best medicine. Keep calling your neuro's office weekly or more. I should have been more persistant this week, but next week they'll hear from me a lot more! Good luck, keep us all posted.

Comment

If you're in limbo a while, you'll be so sick of getting tested the waiting won't bother you anymore. You won't want to know. LOL

In the beginning, it's very hard. After a while, once you're accustomed to all the changes happening in your body, familiar with what triggers symptoms, get better at managing it, it won't be as anxiety provoking as it is frustrating, annoying or disappointing.

Self-hypnosis helped me tremendously, as well as formal hypnosis sessions. Now, I find there are long stretches of time where I don't even want tested anymore. I certainly don't want anymore tests that aren't going to show anything. That's how most of mine have come out, even while symptomatic.

It's been nine months for me now since it became obvious there was more going on than run of the mill stress and anxiety. It was a good six to seven months before it started sinking in and becoming a normal part of my existence.

In the meantime, reading, learning all you can about symptoms, how everyone manages this and that, etc., is enough to keep you occupied, learning and growing, and more confident in dealing with the next surprise to pop up because you will have some idea of what to do about it.

The beginning can be quite overwhelming and stressful. Waiting and dismissive doctors seem to add to that as well.
        I do not have MS. I have Whatchamacallit; and all of the symptoms are mirages.

Comment

Working...
        X