When do you call?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When do you call?

I am never sure how far into feeling really bad I should go before calling the doctor. This time I waited a week. I figured that was enough time to make sure it wasn't something else going on.
    I don't even know how to describe my symptoms when I get to this point. I just feel overwhelmingly awful. From leg pain to fatigue and vision issues to that awful heavy feeling.
    I just want to go to bed and stay there but I am afraid I won't ever want to get back up.
    So my questions are: How long do you wait before calling a dr? Do you call after one symptom worsens or several? In the past I have been given high doses of steroids. Should I be asking for something more?

I think that has to depend on you, unfortunately. I can't tolerate steroids, so I usually don't bother calling. I'll let him know when it's been a few weeks, though.

Comment

My doctor has asked me to call and report any symptom that I have for 24+ hours. It doesn't mean that I'll get any treatment, etc. but they want to know about it to put in my files and be able to keep an eye on things.

You should ask your doctor what they prefer you do.

Comment

Originally posted by heliotrope View Post
        I think that has to depend on you, unfortunately. I can't tolerate steroids, so I usually don't bother calling. I'll let him know when it's been a few weeks, though.
        I'm in the same position...can't do the steroids so I usually don't call UNLESS, it's something completely new to me, and then I report it to the nurse so she can document it. OR, if I think it's a symptom that might be helped by some symptomatic med.

Comment

I called way more often at first just because of experience (or actually lack of it.) Now, if it's bad enough that I'd go in and see him (he's an hr away) I call. Otherwise, I wait to see what happens. If it lasted a week and was unusal for me I'd probably would call and check in.
          What if trials of this life
          Are Your mercies in disguise?
          "Blessings; Laura Story"

Comment

That was one of the first things I asked my doc, when do I call?

Suppose each doctor is different, mine said, when your leg starts dragging, new-serious symptom develops or I'm to the point that it interferes with daily functioning (more than normal). Then I can start steriods, or at least keep my doc apprised of situation.

Ask your doc when they want you to make the call. And remember, you know yourself, your symptoms better than anyone. Good luck.
            1st neurological event 5/29/10. Dx 4/29/11. Avonex since 8/20/10. Age 41 & still smiling.
            Because we have hard times, we really know how to appreciate the good times

Comment

Any new symptom that lasts for 48 hours needs DR attention. A neuro I had told me that advice and I think it helped me a lot.

As far a the pain and not wanting to get out of bed, that quite possibly could be MS depression. Depression is painful.
              What you wrote could have been written by me years ago, when I was in the 'I can't believe I'm not the same... surely I'll get better' phase of the MS.

Are you on a DMD treatment? They can help reduce the number of flares. Copaxone hasn't given me energy, helped me feel less depressed, taken away the pins and needles, but it has reduced the number of flares I've had over time.

Just know that if your doc (do you have a Neuro that is very familiar with MS? That helps. Most docs don't get MS and how normal we can look even while very ill.

If your doc isn't proactive, find another who is willing to treat the disease. Be your own advocate.

Comment

I only call when it is something unusual. If it is something that I think can be treated with meds i go to my PCP. He and my neuro have a great working relationship so it works out great for me.
                Dx'd 4/1/11. First symptoms in 2001. Avonex 4/11, Copaxone 5/12, Tecfidera 4/13 Gilenya 4/14-10/14 Currently on no DMT's, Started Aubagio 9/21/15. Back on Avonex 10/15

It's hard to beat a person that never gives up.
                Babe Ruth

Comment

Working...
                X