Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rheumatic MS pains

Does anyone else have them?

In my case: warmth helps to reduce the pain levels drastically. I had myself check out twice in two different clinics for it and the conclusion was identical. I should move to a subtropical climate. Of course, that's easier said than done. It's a long term plan in progress.

I found this article about managing reumatic pain interesting, maybe something in here will be benficial to you:

http://www.iasp-pain.org/AM/Template...ontentID=12192

Most of my pains are due to muscle spasticity.

Are you under the care of a reumatologist? Curious as to how they determined yours is reumatic pain, did you have blood tests?

Comment

I was diagnosed in 2006, by a Neuro team, who weren't really up to date, but at least I had a diagnosis finally. I switched to another Neuro to get the medications I needed.

I had such severe pains in all muscles and tendons, which get worse over the years, I asked the Neuro and he was clueless. So, I went to Rheumatology, they turned me inside out. They said that all my muscles are chronically infected because they are weakened by MS, some more, some less and get overused even by simple movements. They called them Rheumatic MS pains, as it's no real Rheumatism, because it's caused by MS.

I already knew my pains go down dramatically as soon as the weather gets better. They advised me to take warm baths, keep myself warm, crank up the the temp in the house to 77F (which is not affordable), use gel packs in the microwave to apply on the sorest spots. And: that I should move to a milder climate, one that is warm almost all year through.

Last year, I changed Neuro's, as the previous one didn't have knowledge about pain meds. His entire team turned me inside out again and concluded the same thing. He has one more patient like me, he has hundreds of MS patients. It's not so common to have these pains, apparently.

I don't have spasticity, I do also have minor neuropathic pains and pain shoots. But the infected muscles and tendons can hurt like hell as soon as the weather gets colder. Last year, we had 3 weeks of warm weather, not even enough to catch my breath.

Comment

So, nobody else has this? Nobody has pains that gets better applying warmth?

Comment

Hi Cartoonist

I had never heard of rheumatic pains caused by MS before, until I read your post. There's always something new to learn!

I will say though, that I am very achy in the cold temperatures. Also when cold, I get terribly stiff, which I attribute to spasticity.

My achy-ness does improve when I warm up. I've never actually applied heat to the achy areas, though.

Also, my muscles can get aches/pains sometimes even from simple movements too. Fortunately, this doesn't happen all the time.

Thanks for sharing about the rheumatic pains. Sorry you have to deal with them so much, though.

Take care,
          KoKo
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

I already guessed it was seldom, that's why I made a topic about it.

Comment

Working...
            X