UTI with no symptoms other than......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UTI with no symptoms other than......

Last Nov. my urine became very stinky. This has happened in the past but would drink tons of liquids including Cranberry juice.This time decided to have a urine test. Yes, I had an e-Coli baterial infection and put on Macrobid. Dr. also ordered an Ultrasound of kidneys and bladder then sent me to a Urologist. By this time no infection and put on a IC-Smart diet. He did the usual euro-dynamic testing. Now my bladder was emptying all urine. Said to come in for urine test the minute I feel I have another so I did. This time he wanted my to go on a 7 day IV of Gentamicin. He had to get approval from Medical Group so in meantime read up on the side affects and scared me to death. So went to my GP to run a urine test. Had taken NO drugs and the lab showed no infection. What the heck?
    Another 2 months pass. Urine smelly so had a urine test at Uro. Test was positive, called in RX for Macrobid. BUT, for a second opinion and BEFORE taking the Macrobid I got another urine test from my GP. NO infection..what the heck. Can someone explain why Uroligist showed infection twice but my family Dr. NONE twice. I go to a lab to have urine checked. Is the lab wrong? Urologist wrong. Family Dr. wrong. What do I do now? No treatment can damage my kidneys if UTI left untreated but also dont want to continually take anti-biotics if I dont have an infection.

UTI..yes or no?

Originally posted by GayGay View Post
    Last Nov. my urine became very stinky. This has happened in the past but would drink tons of liquids including Cranberry juice.This time decided to have a urine test. Yes, I had an e-Coli baterial infection and put on Macrobid. Dr. also ordered an Ultrasound of kidneys and bladder then sent me to a Urologist. By this time no infection and put on a IC-Smart diet. He did the usual euro-dynamic testing. Now my bladder was emptying all urine. Said to come in for urine test the minute I feel I have another so I did. This time he wanted my to go on a 7 day IV of Gentamicin. He had to get approval from Medical Group so in meantime read up on the side affects and scared me to death. So went to my GP to run a urine test. Had taken NO drugs and the lab showed no infection. What the heck?
    Another 2 months pass. Urine smelly so had a urine test at Uro. Test was positive, called in RX for Macrobid. BUT, for a second opinion and BEFORE taking the Macrobid I got another urine test from my GP. NO infection..what the heck. Can someone explain why Uroligist showed infection twice but my family Dr. NONE twice. I go to a lab to have urine checked. Is the lab wrong? Urologist wrong. Family Dr. wrong. What do I do now? No treatment can damage my kidneys if UTI left untreated but also dont want to continually take anti-biotics if I dont have an infection.
    Bumping myself up. I know tract infections are prevelant with MS. Want your story and opinions

Comment

UTI?

I USED TO GET UTI SYMPTOMS ALL THE TIME NO BACTERIA IN THE TEST. I WAS TOLD IT WAS CYSTITIS. I HAD TO AVOID SODA, CAFFEINE, ETC TO PREVENT SYMPTOMS. AN IRRITATION OF THE BLADDER . I DON'T KNOW IF THIS EXPLAINS.
      I DO KNOW THAT IF A URINE TEST IS POSITIVE IT IS SENT TO DO A CULTURE TO SEE WHAT GROWS SO THE DR KNOWS WHAT ANTIBIOTIC TO PRESCRIBE. IF TREATED WITHOUT GROWING A CULTURE, AND WRONG ANTIBIOTIC GIVEN, THE BACTERIA WILL NOT BE ERADICATED. AND SYMPTOMS WILL RETURN.

Comment

Sometimes the urologist will culture urine obtained through a catheter while doing all those urology tests. It will therefore be sterile and more likely to grow significant germs.

At most offices, they just have you collect a "clean catch" urine specimen. That is you wipe off first, then pee in a cup. But there can still be germs from the skin getting into the urine and contaminating it. Then the lab report will say "Multiple organisms, suspect contamination, no sensitivity testing done." Voila! The report suggests that you do not have a "real" UTI.

My neurologist has suggested that I take cranberry tablets and vitamin C tablets to prevent UTI's, as I get a lot of them. I think it helps some.

Comment

Working...
        X