No Pain, No Gain or No Strain, No Pain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Pain, No Gain or No Strain, No Pain?

How do I recognize my limits? Leg strength and coordination have gotten worse for me in the past six months or so, but my attitude is generally, "this is unacceptable, if I do the same workouts I've always done, the leg will shape up and pull its weight so to speak." My right leg seems weaker and wants to buckle whether I exercise or not. My left leg has muscle spasms in the evenings and nights if I don't exercise. By exercise, I mean walk or ride a bike. I usually walk two or three miles with a friend or bike at the YMCA for a 30 minute interval.

A lady once told me she was in a wheel chair because she was stubborn and pushed her limits causing damage to herself. How do I find the balance I need? I don't want to resign myself to the idea that I may never strengthen my legs and improve my mobility, but I also don't want to work against myself and compromise my long term health.

I would appreciate any stories and advice whether you're a 'take it easy' kind of person or a 'get your butt in gear' kind of person. Has anyone here actually caused harm while attempting to improve overall strength and conditioning?
    Portia

I STRONGLY recommend PT

I did 5 months of PT and it was WONDERFUL. That being said, there were times that they pushed me more than I was comfortable with.

I am a "take it easy" type of person. But I do sometimes push myself a little. I once said I am not a competitive person - except when it comes to me against myself!

Through PT you should be able to learn little things that can help you understand your own body and what it needs.

The trick is to find a PT that fits your personality. Good Luck!!!

Comment

Portia,

If your insurance covers Physical Therapy(PT) then get an evaluation from a PT. A PT can show you different exercises that can help strengthen your legs.

If your leg is buckling a PT can show you how to strenghten the muscles that support the knee - at least I am assuming your leg is buckling at the knee.

It takes time to find your limits. Sometimes I can push my limits and sometimes I can't. My limit is 2 miles and has been 2 miles since my first exacerbation which is the one that got me dx'd.

I have never hurt myself by pushing.

I am very pro exercise/PT. I strongly believe had I not taken my neuro's advice years ago to walk I would be in a wheelchair.

I use an Elliptical, resistance bands, leg weights, and the PT exercises I have learned through the years
      Diagnosed 1984
      “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I like the others do suggest PT

I recommend getting some PT done if you have the insurance for it, though dont go to those medical sports center for it and always ask who ever you PT is if they have dealt with a person with MS before.

PT is a great way to figure your limits, and they can teach you different ways to things after evulating you, different things to do and show you have to over come some limits.

Please pardon any typos on my part and good luck.

Comment

It's hard to find the balance between exercise that helps and overdoing, which you usually have to recover from.....

I've been trying to get back into weight training, but I don't think I'm going to be able to tolerate the toll it takes. I need alot of recovery time.

I'm still an athletic individual, it is the type of sport that seems to make the big difference. If you seem to need too much recovery time, you need to back off or think about an alternative.

I can't run anymore, used to run 3-4 miles a day, 5 days a week. I can figure skate in a cold environment for 1-2 hours a stretch. That is pretty intensive. I bet I could run in a swimming pool if I chose to and be fine, because of the cooler environment, and the movement in water that is somewhat protective of joint strain.

For whatever reason the stress on the individual muscles that are isolated in weight training is not working out. Stretching an yoga type work seems good.

It is a trial and error sort of thing. Hope this helps. I know I overdid when I immediately end up exhausted for hours after a workout.

Good advise from all, just wanted to give you another perspective about what I've tried......some ideas for you!

Comment

Thanks

All good ideas offered and I appreciate them. I do need to get involved in yoga or pilates. And I will look into PT. I think my insurance covers it, but the PT who works with my MS center is not 'in network.' That really isn't an issue for me because I can't drive three hours to do PT. I already spend way too much time and money driving to KC. Surely my neuro can prescribe PT and I can just use one closer to my town.

I have noticed that I feel very bad for a couple of days after I do any weight training. One of my problems is that when I feel fatigued I don't know if I should go for my walks. I walked the other evening when I really didn't feel like it, and I believe I am paying for it. But when will I be able to exercise if I am fatigued frequently?
            Portia

Comment

Hello Portia

This is a good topic. I think that since MS affects each of us somewhat differently, we have to find the type of exercise, the duration, and the frequency that works best for each of us individually.

I have always been athletic, and worked at a job which was physical. When diagnosed, I thought I would stave off the effects of MS because my job was such a good workout. Pushing mail carts from one end of the building to the other, sorting packages and tossing them into sacks, keying zip codes (using my hands/fingers) and performing various other activities at work was excellent exercise to keep me moving.

So, on the premise that keeping active would keep me from losing muscle strength, I planned on working till I was old enough to retire. The truth is, even though I rode my bike, exercised, treadmill, etc. and worked, the MS still progressed and my muscles kept getting weaker anyways. I worked for a couple years on light duty before that became too much and consequently had to retire on disability.

These days, I must budget my energy. If I do my stationary bike, walk with my rolling walker, etc., I may not have the muscle strength and energy to do grocery shopping on the same day.

I have PPMS, so that is probably why the exercises haven't kept my muscles from weakening. But I'm probably in better shape than I would've been if I hadn't been as active over the years. I guess I just wanted to share that although exercise is definitely helpful, some of us have more progression and exercise routines need to be modified as time goes on. No one should ever feel that they're not trying hard enough, or comparing their exercise routine to others. We are each unique when it comes to the effects of MS.

We can do only what our bodies will allow. God knows I've tried the "mind over matter" and the "pushing" of myself, but my body has had the final say, unfortunately. So I try to cooperate with it these days.

Good luck with finding what works for you

Take care,
              KoKo
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

I had P/T in 07...LOOooong B 4 my RRMS Dx this past Jan. It was worth every effort. My problem was they were backing off when I wanted to do more. That from a P/T with a slogan of no pain no gain no less?

A few months ago my famdoc had a P/T eval for a motorized wheel chair (I was reluctant about it). The PT said I was pushing my muscles into fatigue, and that was just casual everyday walking around my home. After the eval she shocked me a bit, asked if I NEEDED the power chair right away, NO was my response.

Now I am glad I have it. I can actually do more, get more done by using the powerchair part-time. I knew I NEEDED a power scooter for things like shopping mall trips etc. BUT the very idea of ME using a wheel chair was NOT what I wanted, in fact I was hoping to avoid being stuck in a chair.

I am learning my own limits, but they keep changing,, just not for the better. All I can sugest is LISTEN to your body, try and keep moving without pushing too hard or far. Take breaks and give your body a rest often, and when you body says STOP..I guess the best thing to do is LISTEN.

GOMER Sez good luck!

Comment

I have PPMS as well. I have been going to PT twice a week for about three years. I kid them that most of their clients come in to get rehabiltated. My goal is to not get worse. It has keep my muscles from atrophying. I'm usually fatigued the rest of the day after PT but it is worth it.
                  I was a runner and triathalete before getting MS so I would be on the "get your butt in gear" side of your ledger.

Comment

Working...
                  X