Basic Meditation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic Meditation

For those who are interested in trying meditation as an aid in managing the symptoms of MS, here are three simple steps.

1. Sit comfortably.

2. Pay attention to your breathing. Follow each breath as you inhale and exhale.

3. When thoughts arise, gently return your attention to your breathing.

That's it.

This is the method that was used in the most recent studies confirming the health benefits of meditation. It's also fundamental to more traditional forms of meditation such as mindfulness practice and zazen.

Benefits should be felt quickly, and will increase as you continue meditating over weeks, months and years.

I'd be glad to answer questions from anyone who starts meditating. I have 35+ years' experience under my belt.

Thanks, S! I don't meditate too often, but I used the meditation skills that I learned while taking Kundalini yoga classes to get me through my breast cancer surgery and subsequent treatment. It was invaluable!
    “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places.” Ernest Hemingway
    Diagnosed 1979

Comment

I've meditated myself through MRIs (I'm very claustrophobic) and through lengthy surgery on my nose for skin cancer, as well as a couple of root canals.

Meditation is great for crisis situations, but IMHO it really shines when done on a daily basis.

Kundalini, eh? That's always fascinated me.

Comment

Hey, Sequia,

Saw a segment on TV the other day regarding your three listed steps. They said further that this form of meditation is starting to be used in some schools, for military people in the field, corporate execs at work, and of course, the medical profession (especially in hospitals) has been using this for some time - Those who have heart problems are seeing some incredibly positive results.

This made my heart happy !! I also have been meditating for years and it's been so beneficial...... it was priceless when I was still working and struggling with the stress and fatigue.

It still is invaluable!
        1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
        Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I think I saw the same segment, Seasha, or one just like it.

Studies have shown that meditation helps with cardiac problems, blood pressure, pain control (especially back pain), fatigue, diminished lung capacity, psoriasis, stress management and more. I've found that it helps with my spasticity, too.

I'm glad it's being studied and getting the wider attention it deserves as a tool for living better...with or without chronic disease.

Comment

I've meditated off and on over the years. I just recently started doing Qigong which is described as a "moving meditation." It's really good and I can already feel the affects after doing it for less than a week.

Comment

Sheppa, I started doing qigong but had to stop - we were fixing up a house to sell and building another one. I liked doing it & should take another class.

I also did Tai Chi years ago (I'd call that a moving meditation too), but had to quit that one too. Don't have the coordination and balance anymore, but it did help me up to a point!

Now, it's gentle yoga and of course, meditation.
              1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
              Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Sequoia, you did a great job of describing just how simple and pure basic meditation is. A lot of people haven't tried simple meditation because they're afraid it's going to be a struggle of actively suppressing all thinking. But it isn't that way at all. For peacefulness, multitasking is bad. The conscious mind can do only so many things at one time, so it's as simple as letting thoughts pass and returning to thinking about breathing. No need for force, funny body positions or chanting of mantras.

Anyone who has a dog knows that their dog is calmest and best behaved when given something to do, even something simple. You are your own dog. Your mind calms down and works out its own kinks when given something simple to do. So it really is as simple as relaxing, focusing on breathing and letting everything else pass. No force. And like so many other things, mindfulness, peace and relaxation get easier with practice. What you said bears repeating, so I will :

1. Sit comfortably.

2. Pay attention to your breathing. Follow each breath as you inhale and exhale.

3. When thoughts arise, gently return your attention to your breathing.

That's it.

Comment

Sheppma and Seasha, one of my sons is a T'ai Chi instructor who also teaches Qigong. He swears by the benefits of Qigong (and T'ai Chi too, of course).

Redwings, thank you for the kind words. I can't really claim credit, though...the three steps are approximately the way meditation was presented in the television segment some of us saw. They are, however, exactly what I was taught when I first learned to meditate, lo these many years ago.

For some people, the "trappings" of different forms of meditation are of great value. The precise posture, the bells, the incense, the chanting etc. help to deepen the meditation. For other people, however, all that just gets in the way of what is, at its base, a very simple practice which is accessible to virtually all human beings no matter what their circumstance or condition.

Comment

Working...
                  X