Wish me luck- diet study.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish me luck- diet study.

I'm so darn excited that I can barely stand myself. In a week and a half I fly to Portland for my "screening" to possibly be apart of a clinical study being done on Diet & MS! That's right, a study at the Oregon Health & Science University. It will be a blinded study with a diet group and a control group! I have met their "initial" criteria & my "screening" visit will tell me if I'm accepted or not. Please cross your fingers for me as I'm so excited to potentially be involved in this very-important study!!! Haven't so many of us been hoping for a (new) study to be done!?

That's wonderful, Coco!

Oregon Health Sciences University is an outstanding institution. I'm sure the study will be very well designed, and hopefully provide useful information for people with MS (and their doctors).

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and my toes too...now I just hope I don't fall down.

Comment

Good Luck! Keep us posted
      [I]Tellnhelen
      Progressive Relapsing MS

Comment

Hi Coco

Is this the clinical study?

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/cent....cfm?WT_rank=2

Wow, that's where Dr. Roy Swank did his work. Looks like they're finally going to follow up on his MS diet/very low fat theory. Very cool!

Good luck!

Take care,
        KoKo
        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
          Hi Coco

Is this the clinical study?

http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/research/cent....cfm?WT_rank=2

Wow, that's where Dr. Roy Swank did his work. Looks like they're finally going to follow up on his MS diet/very low fat theory. Very cool!

Good luck!

Take care,
          KoKo
          Yes, that's the one! This study is funded by Dr. John McDougall.

Comment

Coco,

I'm so happy for you. Good luck on the program.

A

Comment

Hi Coco!

Great opportunity for you!

Any word yet regarding your acceptance in the study?

Good Luck!
              ~life has ups and downs...I try to go in circles~
              dx'd rrms in '97

Comment

I'm In!

Spent the day yesterday at OHSU. I've been accepted to the study!! Now, I'm waiting to see which group I'm in. I should know tomorrow. I'm so excited!

Comment

Very intersting. I'm happy that someone is doing the study.

"Plant Based Diet", for 12-months, also interesting. I'm wondering how they will run the control group.

Please let us know the process as you find out.
                  Don't be afraid of the waves- Focus on the MASTER walking on the water - you won't even SEE the waves

Comment

Good luck Coco! Take lots of notes and bring them back here! How long is the study? Bring a raincoat - it's rainy up this way in the pacific northwest
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

I'm in the diet group!

Just got the call & I'm in the diet group! This is a vegan, low saturated fat diet. I go for 10 days of "diet training" in a couple of weeks. My "diet" starts when I start my training. The study is for 12 months. There will be a total of 54 participants- a diet group and a control group. Throughout the year we will all make 7 more visits to OHSU for neuro exams & bloodwork. In the initial visit we all filled out several questionnaires including a lengthly one on our current diet. We also had cognitive tests, walking tests, 2 neuro exams, blood work & a brain MRI. The very last trip to OHSU will be just like the first one including another brain MRI. Each month both groups have to fill out food questionnaires to make sure the are being compliant with whichever group they are in.
                      Thanks for your support. I'll keep you all posted.

Comment

CocoH

Congratulations on being accepted into the diet trial!

I think it's great that one of our "own" (MS World member) is involved!

This will be very interesting!

Thank you and good luck!

Take care,
                        KoKo
                        PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
                        ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Update

I just got back from my 10 days of "diet training." Amazing!! What a great program. I feel so confidant now about my vegan diet & sticking to the study protocol. If any of you want to check out his "diet", look at Dr. McDougall's website. Anyone can attend his live-in program. On his website is also an awesome lecture about MS & Diet and also one on dairy products.

BTW, if anyone is interested they still need people to enroll in the diet study. If you look at Oregon Health & Science University you can find the study & the contact information.

Comment

Congrats...good luck to you.

Keep us posted, I'm very interested in diet and autoimmune disease.
                            Opiegirl, Dx 1991
                            Have never used DMD's.

LDN 9/2011-9/2012 & just started again 6/14
                            Estriol 9/12-present
                            Still Hopeful.

Comment

I followed the McDougall diet for a while in the late '80s. I had all his books (at that point) too. He makes a very good case, IMO.

The diet is varied, tasty and really very doable.

Best of luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X