simple chicken or shrimp curry
Simple Chicken or Shrimp Curry
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or 1 lb peeled deveined shrimp
- 2 tbsp coconut or olive oil, lard or ghee
As many vegetables as you like, such as:
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 medium onion
- 3/4 cup frozen peas
- 5 sweet peppers or 1 pkg frozen diced peppers
- 1 medium zucchini
- 5-10 crimini or button mushrooms
- 1 tbsp curry powder or to taste
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tsp Thai curry paste or to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- 11” or larger sautee pan with lid
- 11” or larger fry pan with lid
- Kitchen knives
- Cutting board
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Can opener
Peel and chop the onion and sweet potato. Heat the oil in fry pan and saute pan over medium heat, 1 tbsp in each pan.
Throw the onion and sweet potato into the fry pan. Place the chicken thighs or shrimp in the saute pan and sprinkle curry powder over them. Salt and pepper both pans.
Cover the veggies. Let both pans cook until potatoes just begin to soften. Turn the chicken or shrimp and remove from heat. Uncover the vegetables, stir, add the ginger, garlic and other veggies, salt and pepper again if needed and let cook 5 more minutes.
Scrape the veggies into the chicken or shrimp, then add the Thai curry paste.
Stir to combine, then pour the coconut milk over everything and cover.
Turn heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes, testing veggies to make sure they don’t get overcooked.
With a bowl of this, you’ll be warmed to your toes!