java chocolate cookies
Java Chocolate Cookies
These are basically globs of coffee flavored chocolate with nuts and more chocolate in them.
- 6 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/3 cup gluten free baking flour
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 2 tsp finely ground, fresh ground coffee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup walnut pieces
- ¾ cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Kitchen knife for cutting up baking chocolate
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Double boiler or pyrex bowl and small saucepan
- Small bowl
- Medium sized mixing bowl
- Cookie sheets
- Parchment paper
- Tablespoon sized scoop
- Metal spatula or pancake turner
- Racks for cooling
Melt the baker’s chocolate and butter in double boiler or in pyrex bowl set over small saucepan of gently boiling water. While it melts, mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl and set aside.
Remove from heat and set aside. In a medium sized mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, coffee and vanilla until pale and thick, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chocolate mixture, then the flour mixture with scraper. Stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Cover and refrigerate until firm, at least an hour. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spread parchment paper on cookie sheets and drop level tablespoons of dough 2 inches apart. Bake for about 10 minutes, or until cookies are slightly puffed and “crackled” on top.
Slide the paper onto one rack to cool.
Then transfer with the pancake turner to other rack to finish cooling. Makes about 3 dozen.