Multivitamins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multivitamins

I read conflicting information about vitamins. I've been taking Kirkland's multivitamin, and I also take extra C, D and E. One study I read questioned the need for a multivitamin if we are eating a healthy diet. There are supposedly special vitamins for those with MS. How do I know what's best?

VITAMINS

Glad to hear someone is taking the natural approach. I can suggest going to a nutritionist. They'll give you a complete analysis and give you many vitamins to supplement with. My mom was dx 1960-70's and went the vitamin route. Now, she is 84, never any bad MS associated problems. Good Luck to you!

Comment

Originally posted by nkh18 View Post
      One study I read questioned the need for a multivitamin if we are eating a healthy diet.
      That might have been true right up until about the 1970s. But with the advent of industrialized farming, there's evidence that food isn't as nutritious now as it was 30 or 40 years ago. That was the finding of a study by the University of Texas in 2004 and described by Scientific American in 2011. The "healthy diet" that spawned that medical opinion doesn't appear to exist anymore.

Nowadays it seems like we can't possibly eat enough of the right kinds of foods in a day to get what used to be called a "healthy diet" and ensure we get an optimum amount of nutrients. So many healthcare experts who are aware of the declining quality of the food supply (plus the over-reliance in developed countries on processed, packaged foods) recommend a daily multivitamin and mineral supplement AND as healthy a diet as possible.

Both of the currently most prominent physicians who specialize in brain health -- Daniel Amen, a psychiatrist, and David Perlmutter, a neurologist -- recommend clean, healthy diets and body- and brain-healthy supplements. Both have developed and sell their own lines of supplements. Both have had several specials on PBS covering brain health and the necessity of proper nutrition, which includes supplements.

None of the most media-prominent physicians say that vitamin and mineral supplements -- in addition to a good, healthy diet -- are not necessary.

Comment

Working...
      X