How to handle an issue at work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to handle an issue at work

We have a guy who got injured on the job and the guy covering for him is off Thursday and Friday so I have been tapped to cover those days.

The problem is the job requires hauling 70lb boxes and it will be in the 90’s those days. My MS is not something I have told anyone at work about having lost a couple jobs in the past because of it and not being relevant to my normal job.

So now I don’t know what to do if I tell them I can’t do it I’ll have to reveal MS if I do it and have issues same issue. Or I get lucky and survive for two days.
    Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

When, and whether, to reveal MS is often a difficult decision to make.

Do you have a union? Perhaps they could advise you.

If not, your local nmss (National multiple Sclerosis society) might have advice if you call them.

I wish I had good advice.

I was upfront early in at my last job, which was likely a good decision because I had enough medical MS issues that I needed to use FMLA time three years in a row. The fourth time I requested it, though, I lost my job.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Tough spot to be in. If you try it and it all works out, then they might be tagging you all the time to do it. I guess if you have limitations you’ll have to be up front about them. You can inform them and give it a try both. That way if you’re not so lucky at getting it all done...you have an excuse.
      It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Do it for an hour and then

Hurt your back and cannot continue. Not saying collect workers comp, just can’t continue moving boxes.

Sometimes “street smarts” is the way to go.

Comment

Got any PTO (sick) you could take?
          The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Some good ideas but ...

Mamabug no Union it’s a small company like 18 people.

Oceanpride I’m not likely to be asked again it’s way out of my area and they know it. A lot of the reason is one of the guys in that area has been with the company longer than me and I think he has some bitterness because he sees my job as paying more for less work. He has been trying to get me down there for a while but this is the first time they are short enough on help to need me badly enough to make it worth it. Once he’s had his chance to put me in my place he’ll request other people. Also we are a person down from usual anyway cause we lost one a couple months before corona and because of the slow down they were never replaced. With the guy out I know they have started looking so given 20% unemployment I don’t expect it to take long.

Robert I don’t like being that guy but I may try it and it might not even be faked I found out 70lb is the light boxes.

Bordeaux I really really don’t like being that guy and as mentioned we are now 2 down plus one on vacation so that wouldn’t be cool, plus with corona taking sick days is not really a great idea, makes everyone nervous.

I think I’m just going to give it a go, if I just flat out can’t I’ll make an excuse (back or something) and if I get too far wiped out and need to I’ll call out Friday. They know it’s a brutal job and I wasn’t hired for anything like that level of work so I can just say I’m too beat up to come in.
            Rise up this mornin, Smiled with the risin sun, Three little birds Pitch by my doorstep Singin sweet songs Of melodies pure and true, Sayin, (this is my message to you-ou-ou

Comment

Originally posted by TaoWarrior View Post
              We have a guy who got injured on the job and the guy covering for him is off Thursday and Friday so I have been tapped to cover those days.

The problem is the job requires hauling 70lb boxes and it will be in the 90’s those days. My MS is not something I have told anyone at work about having lost a couple jobs in the past because of it and not being relevant to my normal job.

So now I don’t know what to do if I tell them I can’t do it I’ll have to reveal MS if I do it and have issues same issue. Or I get lucky and survive for two days.
              Hi TaoWarrior ~

If you had more time, you could get a doctor's note informing your employer of any limitations (heat intolerance, heavy lifting). The note doesn't have to disclose MS.

An employer is not legally required to know a diagnosis.

Take Care
              PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Let us know how you make out.

Comment

Tao. Working with MS has its own set of challenges. I’m lucky all my coworkers look out for me and have my back. I have all theirs too. I have the knowledge and the experience, they have their youth and their strength. However my symptoms are very visible and I can’t hide nothing. People are still good for the most part and if they not then I let them know. That’s the only thing that keeps me going. They turn to me all the time I’m kind of their last line of defence. I like it. It gives me a purpose. Some work environments are poison but ours is not...but the work can be. Hopefully you find a good fit.
                  It was one agains't 2.5million toughest one we ever fought.

Comment

Update

I survived. I got lucky it's been very rainy here for the past few weeks so things were slow. Still wasn't fun but I did get through it.

With luck it won't be an issue again. My normal role is back on and other than having to get wet all day I got this. Fortunately I'm not a wicked witch or made of sugar so I won't melt in the rain.

Comment

Glad to hear things worked out and are back to normal. It has been a rainy season. Much better to work in a warm weather rain than a cold one though. Stay well.
                      Kathy
                      DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

good deal.

Comment

Working...
                        X