Constipation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Donna - you poor thing~~

I have generally been constipated for years now and have tried every trick/supplements/OTC meds/adjusting diet/enema/you name it. And I drink lost water all day long! And I too have episodes similar to yours where I've felt so weak and get what I call hot flashes that I've had to lay down on the cool tile and felt like I was going to die!! Once I finally went, it would be days before I'd go again!

My adult son, who also suffers, turned me onto Probiotic-10, a blend of 10 strains of probiotics. The writing is too small to list them, but for the first time in years and years, I found something that works!! It has 25 billion organisms per pill. Sometime I even have to take 2 (=50 billion) It's put out by NOW. As you know, probiotics promote healthy intestinal flora in your system and therein lies the problem with me. I bought it on Amazon and it didn't cost that much.

I take it religiously!! I'm so relived and happy
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      Donna - you poor thing~~

I have generally been constipated for years now and have tried every trick/supplements/OTC meds/adjusting diet/enema/you name it. And I drink lost water all day long! And I too have episodes similar to yours where I've felt so weak and get what I call hot flashes that I've had to lay down on the cool tile and felt like I was going to die!! Once I finally went, it would be days before I'd go again!

My adult son, who also suffers, turned me onto Probiotic-10, a blend of 10 strains of probiotics. The writing is too small to list them, but for the first time in years and years, I found something that works!! It has 25 billion organisms per pill. Sometime I even have to take 2 (=50 billion) It's put out by NOW. As you know, probiotics promote healthy intestinal flora in your system and therein lies the problem with me. I bought it on Amazon and it didn't cost that much.

I take it religiously!! I'm so relived and happy
      That's it!! You take this every (morning/night?) and you're like a normal person? (BTW, I know nothing about probiotics) - Any side effects? Do you also still drink a lot, fiber... Other things to help, or that's it? Or am I getting too excited about this miracle cure?
      Dx 1/86 at age 23
      Copaxone 1993 - 2011 (except when I was pregnant or nursing)
      Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Donna - I usually take it at night as you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach. Unless I have to be somewhere in the early morning, I skip taking it the night before as I don't want an accident while I'm out and about. I usually schedule appts and meetups for late mornings.

I have never had diarrhea while taking them nor have I experienced any side effects. When I started taking them, it took a few days to get things moving. Like I said, I do drink plenty of water each day and try to make sure to take in fiber too! Sometimes I don't go every day, but every other day is fine with me too. And it does the job of clearing the intestines very well.

For information on probiotics and constipation, this link from Harvard Medical School may help you - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/p...n-201408217377

Good luck, Donna. I know how miserable you've felt.

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          Donna - I usually take it at night as you're supposed to take it on an empty stomach. Unless I have to be somewhere in the early morning, I skip taking it the night before as I don't want an accident while I'm out and about. I usually schedule appts and meetups for late mornings.

I have never had diarrhea while taking them nor have I experienced any side effects. When I started taking them, it took a few days to get things moving. Like I said, I do drink plenty of water each day and try to make sure to take in fiber too! Sometimes I don't go every day, but every other day is fine with me too. And it does the job of clearing the intestines very well.

For information on probiotics and constipation, this link from Harvard Medical School may help you - http://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/p...n-201408217377

Good luck, Donna. I know how miserable you've felt.
          Things straightened out!! Don't know what I changed but I'm back to just needing help getting started - None of that dying on the floor anymore. I'm considering buying the probiotics anyway to have them if need be again but by the time I realize that I should have taken them I'm afraid it will be too late. I think I'll wait them out for a while and see how things go.

Thank for the info - Now I know were to run for it
          Dx 1/86 at age 23
          Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

That's great to hear Donna! I'd go ahead and get some for a back up supply just in case. Hope things keep "moving" along for you - lol

Comment

I'm adding here something that helps me. The idea is to squat and push, but who can squat? So I actually saw this on a forum where pregnant ladies were talking... Get a small stool - the kind that little kids use to reach the sink - less than a foot tall but close. When you're on the toilet put your feet on the stool and even lean back and sink down a drop (may not work if you're very large bottomed ). The angle really helps - Good luck
              Dx 1/86 at age 23
              Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Squatty potty

Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
                I'm adding here something that helps me. The idea is to squat and push, but who can squat? So I actually saw this on a forum where pregnant ladies were talking... Get a small stool - the kind that little kids use to reach the sink - less than a foot tall but close. When you're on the toilet put your feet on the stool and even lean back and sink down a drop (may not work if you're very large bottomed ). The angle really helps - Good luck
                They actually manufacture products specifically for that purpose. Squatty Potty.

If you check out Squatty Potty's website, you'll find reasons why a squat position is the most convenient and effective way to improve your bathroom posture. i have a friend who lived in Africa for a number of years and believes squatting to eliminate is a more healthful position than sitting. She has a Squatty Potty in her bathroom.
                Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:11 PM. Reason: Url not MS related
                ~ Faith
                MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                  They actually manufacture products specifically for that purpose. Squatty Potty.

If you check out Squatty Potty's website, you'll find reasons why a squat position is the most convenient and effective way to improve your bathroom posture. i have a friend who lived in Africa for a number of years and believes squatting to eliminate is a more healthful position than sitting. She has a Squatty Potty in her bathroom.
                  Did you see the unicorn movie there? [- it's funny. I use a regular $5 stool - don't need a $28 one (think the extra charge is for the movie? )
                  Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:07 PM. Reason: Url not MS related
                  Dx 1/86 at age 23
                  Tysabri - 2011 - present

Comment

Originally posted by DonnaD View Post
                    Did you see the unicorn movie there? - it's funny. I use a regular $5 stool - don't need a $28 one (think the extra charge is for the movie? )
                    Too cute. But kinda wonder who came up with the marketing idea .

Reckon the $28 version comes with the step by step instructions for the pretty rainbow colored poop ?
                    Last edited by Seasha; 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM. Reason: Url not MS related

Comment

Originally posted by msgijo View Post
                      Too cute. But kinda wonder who came up with the marketing idea .

Reckon the $28 version comes with the step by step instructions for the pretty rainbow colored poop ?
                      lol!!

Faith
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

...learned a lot

I just posted a new topic about my recent relapse and adventures with Ciproflaxin. (it's not approved yet, so doesn't show up in the forum)Anyway... The experience left my ability to process food in shambles, and continues to be an issue.

However, after doing all the regular stuff, like prunes, magnesium, senna, yoga/jumping jacks and you name it, I bought something called Colon Recovery Program, and specifically a product called Hydro-C that uses Vit c and some other thing to pull moisture in to your colon ( i know, I know..yuck) but for me anway, it is giving me some relief, every day, without cramping or being "too loose in the caboose" as my mom used to say.
                        I hesitate to plug anything that has the air of quackery around it, but dang me, this one has been a real saviour for me. The whole program includes some probiotics and other vitamins etc. And to be honest, I wonder if a lot of it really does any good. But I was VERY worried that my body was not recovering from that nasty Cipro, and that I would have to resort to laxatives and other somewhat extreme measures. Mind you, I have had my problems over the 63 years that I have lived, but I was "One cuppa coffee and done" my whole life, right up until the 4 weeks of Cipro, then I was like "can't go"....
                        The guy that sells the Colon Recovery Program is at if you want to check it out. Yes it does look a little quacky, and the guy that owns the company is an evangelist of sorts. But....the ingredients are pretty tame stuff, and I could not find anyone that really was down on the program.
                        I will also admit to buying Dr Schulz Intestinal "something or other", but I have not tried it yet. So I can't speak to whether that one works or not. Would like to hear from anyone who's tried the gutsense products or the mysterious Dr Schulze.
                        Merry everything to everyone.
                        J

**URL removed by Moderator in compliance with MSWorld Guidelines. This may be put in your Profile for all registered, logged-in members to see. Go to your Username on black bar running across top of page > My Settings > Edit Profile**
                        Jim S.

Comment

Working...
                        X