DIET DURING ADOLESCENCE LINKED TO MS RISK

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DIET DURING ADOLESCENCE LINKED TO MS RISK

There is growing evidence that lifestyle factors may impact the onset or progression of MS, and that adolescence is a critical time for adult-onset MS.

Researchers from Australia, Italy and Iran have investigated the role of diet during adolescence in MS risk.

The findings show a link between a diet consisting of food that is considered healthy and lower risk of MS.

Full article here:
    https://msra.org.au/news/diet-during-adolescence/

This makes sense to me. My childhood diet was garbage.
    The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

I was all prepared to say I didn't fit the pattern...until i read the article. I ate well at home. We were a farm family, and Mum was an RN who took nutrition seriously. But fish was rarely served, cheese was limited, yogurt unheard of, and she's the only one in the family who ate citrus fruits. I also stopped taking my Flintstones when I started public school. I hope someone continues this line of research.

Comment

Makes sense to me too. I had what I assumed was a decent diet as an adolescent, but, in retrospect, my diet had a lot of gluten and dairy in it. My functional medicine doctor would say that wasn't good.
        ~ Faith
        MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
        - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
        - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Boudreaux View Post
          This makes sense to me. My childhood diet was garbage.
          Lol!

Same here. I grew up in the 70s. The worst of the worst decade of unhealthy food in my opinion. The only vice worse than the poison I was eating was probably smoking! Sadly nobody knew just how bad either one of those things were at the time, but we sure are finding out now!
          Tawanda

Comment

Working...
          X