Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remission

Can you explain a remission to me?

The past week I have felt really good except for mild fatigue and some weakness.

Could it be that I don't have MS and high amounts of stress/anxiety cause the 5.5 pages of symptoms and the doctors could be wrong all along?

Or am I just fooling myself? Am I in denial? The weather has been cool out so I don't know. I feel sad today

In my opinion: The word "remisssion" should not be used in reference to MS.

If you have symptoms that have improved, symptoms that come and go, residual symptoms and symptoms that have resolved completely, then...welcome to remisssion.

There are some (few) who have complete remissions (no symptoms what so ever) after a relapse.
    Diagnosed 1984
    “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I don't know the answer but just enjoy feeling good! I just got out a of a relapse and am feeling great. Couldn't walk during it and now I can and am I ever enjoying walking again! I am fortunate that my MS isn't as bad as others. I feel sorry for the others.
      Rebif since June 20, 2007
      A smile is a curve that sets everything straight.--Phyllis Diller

Comment

Of course I cannot say for sure whether you are fooling yourself.... but I've felt this same way.

Days like today, when I walk a mile in the morning, feel all energetic and not achy, nothing is burning or weak.... I wonder and wish it was all a mistake and I can stop the shots and the meds and everything and just go back to the way things were.... but then I realize the LP and MRIs probably are not wrong.

How I wish though!!

Comment

Enjopy it!!!!

i love those weeks.

JudySz

Comment

Snoopy I never knew that. I must have really misunderstood RRMS. I always thought that with RRMS you do have complete remissions after relapses, even though relapses may last days to months. My understanding is if you do not have a complete remission and you are left with symptoms, then you are becoming SPMS. I must be wrong about that.

Originally posted by SNOOPY View Post
            In my opinion: The word "remission" should not be used in reference to MS.

If you have symptoms that have improved, symptoms that come and go, residual symptoms and symptoms that have resolved completely, then...welcome to remission.

There are some (few) who have complete remissions (no symptoms what so ever) after a relapse.

Comment

Originally posted by Jenny3838 View Post
              Snoopy I never knew that. I must have really misunderstood RRMS. I always thought that with RRMS you do have complete remissions after relapses, even though relapses may last days to months. My understanding is if you do not have a complete remission and you are left with symptoms, then you are becoming SPMS. I must be wrong about that.
              Jenny,

It is difficult anymore to find information about remission. The National MS Society used to have a small definition about remission. It appears they have removed it or I have missed it.

I hope this URL which also has a graph helps any confusion about remissions:

http://www.mult-sclerosis.org/relaps...sclerosis.html
              "RRMS is characterised by relapses (also known as exacerbations) during which time new symptoms can appear and old ones resurface or worsen. The relapses are followed by periods of remission, during which time the person fully or partially recovers from the deficits acquired during the relapse"

This URL explains the prognosis of MS:
              http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...sis/index.aspx
              Diagnosed 1984
              “Lightworkers aren’t here to avoid the darkness…they are here to transform the darkness through the illuminating power of love.” Muses from a mystic

Comment

I just came out of a near 8 month relapse and then had nearly three full weeks of complete remission only to return to the reality of MS.

Now after 3 day stay in the hospital for IVSM and facing 50 days of prednisone I wonder if I will go into remission again at all.

The MonSter is tough, but I am tougher!

Hope you find a happy place in all of this.

Wobbler

Comment

Originally posted by MSRSX View Post
                  Of course I cannot say for sure whether you are fooling yourself.... but I've felt this same way.

Days like today, when I walk a mile in the morning, feel all energetic and not achy, nothing is burning or weak.... I wonder and wish it was all a mistake and I can stop the shots and the meds and everything and just go back to the way things were.... but then I realize the LP and MRIs probably are not wrong.

How I wish though!!

We have to be thankful for such days. You can enjoy them like no other person. But don't get too caught up in it. One bad night's sleep and you're back in strangeville. Enjoy!

Comment

Relapsing/relenting would be a better description. It's when someones beating you and they stop for a while to catch their breath.

Comment

Quote:
                      <>

<>

Ran

Comment

Hi Jenny,

Snoopy is correct. In RRMS during periods of remission some symptoms lessen and improve, some continue to come and go. There are also residual symptoms from previous damage that may resolve, but also may not. Then there are a few patients who experience an almost complete resolution of symptoms. Remission does not necessarily, and does not usually mean, being totally symptom free, though many patients do make it back to their previous baseline. (Not necessarily their pre illness baseline.)

Grace

Comment

Thanks everyone for the info. But what I don't understand is why the prognosis has not changed since DMD's came about?? It really makes you wonder??

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...sis/index.aspx
                          2.A relapsing-remitting course that later becomes steadily progressive is called secondary-progressive MS (SPMS). Attacks and partial recoveries may continue to occur. According to some natural history studies, of the 85% who start with relapsing-remitting disease, more than 50% will develop SPMS within 10 years; 90% within 25 years.

If the DMD's work then why has this statistic stayed the same??

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbler View Post
                            I just came out of a near 8 month relapse and then had nearly three full weeks of complete remission only to return to the reality of MS.

Now after 3 day stay in the hospital for IVSM and facing 50 days of prednisone I wonder if I will go into remission again at all.

The MonSter is tough, but I am tougher!

Hope you find a happy place in all of this.

Wobbler
                            LOVE you picture Wobbler. You are beautiful..sweet and a fighter..ok..learned probably from a tough fight !!

Jan
                            I believe in miracles~!
                            2004 Benign MS 2008 NOT MS
                            Finally DX: RR MS 02.24.10

Comment

Just wanted to say that I have never had a full remission, even though I was considered "mild" RRMS at diagnosis 6+ years ago, almost 7 now.

But some of my long term symptoms have improved recently, which is a big surprise. My vision has been better than it's been in years.

We will see if that continues as the weather gets hotter!

I still think I'm RRMS because I respond to steroid treatment. I do feel very near normal whenever I take them. Guess that is because everything gets calmed down temporarily, and I get some much needed energy.

Comment

Working...
                              X