Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lectin reduction/avoidance diet: Thoughts? Anyone doing it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisycat View Post
    I just wish there was a straight forward answer of what diet is best. So many of them say different things.
    Yeah; I wish that too.

For salt, I use the healthy mineral salt (not Norton's, but the pink salt or grey salt from health food stores). In addition to it not being unhealthy, it actually provides health benefits.

In addition to wheat, dairy and sugar, I am sensitive to a great many additional foods. Foods that are healthy, except that, I am currently sensitive to them, so they are not healthy for me. And, those change over time, so I recently had a second IgG test done.
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Sorry for letting this thread lapse, but I wanted to pick it back up.

Originally posted by Mamabug
      I'm currently on a fairly restrictive diet recommended by my functional medicine doctor.
      I'm jealous. I need one of those. :-) The thing that concerns me is the cost.

IgG 184 Food Sensitivities Panel test done.
      To save myself the $300 to do one (and the possibility of my DNA info being sold on the "information market") I finagled the VA into doing one. They just called it an IgG test (no number). The results of that should be done now so that's a task for next week to find out.

The first time (in June) showed sensitivities to all of the 6 high lectin foods that one article identified: red kidney beans, soy, wheat, peanuts, tomatoes, potatoes.
      Very interesting! At various times, MS has impacted all 5 of my senses. In particular my sense of taste, smell and even hunger.

I used to think of that as a big negative, but like with many things with MS one can spin it into a positive too. Since I view food/diet as something important to deal with MS and since today I'm in a position that I can easily modify my diet however I want, I might as well do something "extreme" like the lectin avoidance diet. The only thing I'll have to do is to get into new habits of what to cook -- taste and the routine "joy" of eating are secondary, in large part "thanks" to MS.

my MS has not become worse and a few symptoms seem to be improving.
      I'll take that. I'm toying with the idea of diet combined with doing a "reverse snowbird" and spending summers in the far northeast (as close to the Canadian border as I can get ).

Since I have a strong contrarian attitude, am on disability and have plenty of time on my hands, my attitude like yours is to figure out how I can get a handle on this disease.
      59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

Originally posted by Golgotha View Post
        They just called it an IgG test (no number). The results of that should be done now so that's a task for next week to find out.

...my attitude like yours is to figure out how I can get a handle on this disease.
        The number indicates how many foods they test for.

Let's hope we can all "get a handle on this disease".
        ~ Faith
        (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
        - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.

- Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Mamabug-Tomatoes and potatoes are now off my restricted list.

So does that mean one only has to follow restrictions for a certain period and then have regular tests and stay away from only what may be causing grief at a given time?

And where does the IgG test get done? pathologist? allergist/immunologist?

Comment

Originally posted by Carolinemf View Post
            Mamabug-Tomatoes and potatoes are now off my restricted list.

So does that mean one only has to follow restrictions for a certain period and then have regular tests and stay away from only what may be causing grief at a given time?

And where does the IgG test get done? pathologist? allergist/immunologist?
            Good questions. Tomatoes and potatoes are also now off of my restricted list. I do eat them now.

Yeah; your suggestion is kind of my strategy. Although my second IgG test added a few additional restrictions, it took more off than it added. Many of my numbers also dropped to indicate a lower sensitivity than before.

I'm hopeful that I will continue to heal and my restrictive list will grow shorter and shorter.

But, I'm speculating, just as you are.
            ~ Faith
            (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02

Comment

Working...
            X