Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How is everyone making out in the summer heat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How is everyone making out in the summer heat?

I thought I was doing pretty well til today. I think the oppressive humidity got to me. I went for my normal walk early and worked in garden some.

After cleaning up, cooling down, and showering, I apparently fell into a long summer nap!

How is everyone making out in the heat wave? I know a large portion of the US and Europe are caught in it.

The humidity really gets to me. We have a BBQ tomorrow and a birthday party Saturday. I will be hibernating in their AC. For the limited time I venture out, I will have my cooling towel and personal fan with me.

Hope all are coping ok.
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
    I thought I was doing pretty well til today. I think the oppressive humidity got to me. I went for my normal walk early and worked in garden some.

After cleaning up, cooling down, and showering, I apparently fell into a long summer nap!

How is everyone making out in the heat wave? I know a large portion of the US and Europe are caught in it.

The humidity really gets to me. We have a BBQ tomorrow and a birthday party Saturday. I will be hibernating in their AC. For the limited time I venture out, I will have my cooling towel and personal fan with me.

Hope all are coping ok.
    Hi Kathy

I'm staying indoors with AC on high. No going outside for me, as I'm extremely heat and humidity intolerant/sensitive.

Grateful to have AC, as I couldn't function without it!

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Yucky. I have central air, adjusted so it's always 73-75 in the house. But I swear I can "feel" how hot it is outside while sitting in the air conditioned house. Or maybe it has something to do with the air pressure and humidity.

A decade or two ago, the heat would cause lots of optic neuritis issues, literally to the point of losing all vision. Today I tolerate the heat generally much better (I don't go blind!), but it washes me out and my level of pain and spasms and other symptoms fluctuate much more than they do in cooler weather.

After three years "enduring" the summer, this summer I'm going to test fleeing the humid summers here and spend the summer in northern New England -- minutes or a 1/2 hour from the Canadian border. I'm hoping it'll bring an improvement...
      59M / RRMS / Dx1987 / Ocrevus

Comment

The extreme humidity hasn't hit here, yet. So, so far anyway, not the worst of Summer.

I know that others have mentioned that tgeir heat-related symptoms go way after they cool down. Mine stick around for hours after, and the fatigue can stick for days.

Someone suggested drinking very cold water after a walk. It seems to help a lot.

Comment

Lost Power Overnight

We lost power overnight. The temperature in the house already went up 3 degrees at 6am! Hoping it gets fixed ASAP. Neighbors are all out too.
          Kathy

Comment

We lost power overnight. The temperature in the house already went up 3 degrees at 6am! Hoping it gets fixed ASAP. Neighbors are all out too.
            Kathy, well that's not good.

Hope the power outage is short lived.

Take Care
            ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
              Kathy, well that's not good.

Hope the power outage is short lived.

Take Care
              Thanks KoKo. Back on! Ever grateful.
              Kathy

Comment

Thanks KoKo. Back on! Ever grateful.
                Yay, that's great to hear!

Comment

Dear friends,
                  The heat is immobilizing (even taking my lurching gait into account). I am staying in the AC, cooking in little stages (even more than usual), drinking ice water (and hoping I can make it to the bathroom every 30 minutes without numerous clothing changes), and cooling down my core every day in the lap pool (with an even cooler shower after). Nothing is enough to prevent this surge in spasticity and fatigue (oh, my!).
                  All I do this week is watch Wimbledon tennis on TV!

I guess the worst is feeling that I am getting NOTHING DONE except self-maintenance. It is hard to accept and to forgive myself.

Thank you for listening to my complaints. I know things will return to a better level, once this heat and humidity breaks for a couple of days.

Stay lifted,
                  Mermaid Susan
                  "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Sorry to hear mermaidop. This is the first summer my spasticity has worsened. I did get new orthotics and I was due. That helped some, so now I realize the remainder must be spasticity.

The last few days, I just feel so wiped, even though 95% of my time has been indoors in AC. I have barely done anything. I chopped up some fruit and veggies and feel like I ran a marathon(at least what I imagine it feels like to run one)!

Here is hoping the humidity drops soon for all of us. Hope you get a break soon.
                    Kathy

Comment

Thanks for your support, pennstater. A couple of days of respite is cheering, if not solving.
                      Stay lifted,
                      Mermaid
                      "Life is short, and we have but little time to gladden the hearts of those who travel with us; so let us be swift to love, and make haste to be kind."
-Henri Amiel

Comment

Its wearing me out. As the summer goes on, I find myself more tired in the evening. Like a cumulative effect.
                        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Working...
                        X