Pharmacy Rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pharmacy Rant

The pharmacy we use is normally great, but they have been short staffed the last few months and we had two issues this week, aside from Rx not ready, even after text saying it was. I am really annoyed.

My husband got a new Rx. They didn't have the right size pill, so they gave him a larger one that said to cut in quarters. I read the pamphlet and it says "Do not cut pill". In the past, they would have called to see what we wanted to do.

I have had the respiratory virus going around for almost 4 weeks and from coughing so much, the bronchial tubes are inflamed. My inhalers and cough Rx wasn't cutting it, so PCP put me on Prednisone, supposed to be dosepack.

The pills came in a normal Rx bottle, saying to start with 6 pills and decrease one a day. Not thinking, I took them all at once the first two days. Of course, I got dizzy, had palpitations, and sweating. I finally remembered that usually a dosepack says to take throughout the day. I called my PCP, he confirmed how I was to take it. Also said probably why I had relief after taking, but it wore off later.

So I go talk to pharmacist, she apologized, said they were out of dosepacks, said they should have put a note on it, but no harm, since it doesn't matter how I take it, all at once versus spread out. She argued with me, said it was immaterial. I told her it did matter, as they didn't prescribe it the way my doctor ordered, I experienced side effects, and wasn't getting a balanced dosage to help my breathing. She said I was wrong. Also asked if I had taken it before and if so, should have known!

To top it off, she didn't seem to care who filled it so she could advise them for the future, which is all I wanted. And she was the manager!!!

Needless to say, transferring pharmacies. I am still furious - I am sure the Prednisone isn't helping that! Trying to let it go. Feeling like crap isn't helping either.

Thanks for the rant!
    Kathy
    DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Oh my! I'd be changing pharmacies too!

I'm sorry you went through that. Have you thought about whether you wish to pursue it further -- either by at least letting your doctor's office know, or by making a report to your state's pharmacy board?
    ~ Faith
    MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
    (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
    - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
    - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
    - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Hi Kathy

It's easy to see why you became frustrated with that pharmacy ordeal. I think most of us would have become upset.

Originally posted by pennstater View Post
      I have had the respiratory virus going around for almost 4 weeks and from coughing so much, the bronchial tubes are inflamed. My inhalers and cough Rx wasn't cutting it, so PCP put me on Prednisone, supposed to be dosepack.
      Hope you have a good day today, and are feeling much better!

Take Care
      PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
      ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

How Scary

I'm so sorry this happend to you. They sure didn't treat you the way they should have. I would definitely report it to someone.

Before she died, my MIL had a similar issue. She was doing oral chemo. She was supposed to take her meds 1 week, off the next week, then back on again. The prescription bottle said to take it 2 weeks in a row. She had a horrible reaction. All the skin on her hands and feet peeled off. She had to wrap them in gauze. The looked like they were burned. Her breast cancer had already metastisized by then, but we think it contributed to her sudden decline and eventual death a few months later.

A Pharmasist's guidance and directions could mean life or death. I'm glad you are Ok.

Comment

Thinking of you, Kathy and hope things have eased up a bit. Definitely, change pharmacies!
          1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
          Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

OMGoodness Pennstater, Unbelievable the Pharmacist not listening to you and not caring enough to correct the situation. Her next mistake could be dangerous. Maybe you should report her.

I hope you feel better soon.
            God Bless Us All

Comment

Pharmacy board

Your state should have a state pharmacy board to report them to.
              God Bless and have a good day, Mary

Comment

Hi Kathy,

So sorry you aren't feeling well.

The pharmacy should be dispensing prescriptions as the doctor ordered.

My husband got a new Rx. They didn't have the right size pill, so they gave him a larger one that said to cut in quarters. I read the pamphlet and it says "Do not cut pill".
                Definitely not good!!

(If you Google if you can cut that pill, you will find out why it shouldn't be.)

So I go talk to pharmacist, she apologized, said they were out of dosepacks, said they should have put a note on it, but no harm, since it doesn't matter how I take it, all at once versus spread out. She argued with me, said it was immaterial. I told her it did matter, as they didn't prescribe it the way my doctor ordered, I experienced side effects, and wasn't getting a balanced dosage to help my breathing. She said I was wrong. Also asked if I had taken it before and if so, should have known!
                That's terrible, Kathy. I'm sorry you were treated this way. There should also be accountability for not giving you the dosing schedule your doctor prescribed. I wouldn't go there anymore, either!

Scary to think what else they did wrong!

I hope you feel better soon. Also, that you report them to your state pharmacy board.
                Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Thanks everyone. Talked to my PCP this am - yes, he called on Saturday am! I had called yesterday, he was out of office. Called because I wasn't getting much better. He clarified, said the dosing may have affected, but just that I missed evening. Intermittent not as important. But even then, no way to know

So he is calling in extended decreasing dosing over 2 weeks, just am and pm. Of course, the only number I could give was the pharmacy I want to transfer from!

Coughing not too bad as long as I sit still and don't talk! Oh what fun.
                  Kathy

Comment

Glad you talked with the Dr, Kathy. Hope you feel better soon. Hope you find another pharmacy - but grab your meds first!
                    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
                    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Thanks Seasha. So I pick up the new Rx, and the dosage says to take 4 the first day and taper as directed. Once again, they didn't include the doc's direction to start 2 in the am, 2 after dinner for 4 days, then taper to 3, with 2 in am, 1 in pm and so on.

Funny, when I picked up, they said the pharmacist wanted to talk to me. So I thought, great, going to make sure I know how to take it. But no, just confirming this was replacing prior Rx. So sad...

Not looking forward to 2 weeks of Prednisone, just hoping it works.
                      Kathy

Comment

Unbelievable.
                        God Bless Us All

Comment

Not looking forward to 2 weeks of Prednisone, just hoping it works.
                          How are you doing? Hope the Prednisone helped.

Thinking of you
                          Kimba

“When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change.” ― Max Planck

Comment

Originally posted by Kimba22 View Post
                            How are you doing? Hope the Prednisone helped.

Thinking of you
                            Thanks Kimba for asking. Slowly getting better. Still can't have long conversations without coughing fits, but down to needing the inhaler twice a day. I always seem to get asthma when I get bronchitis. Never used to be that way, but since Tysabri, it seems to be a given. But Ty is worth it to me.

With the taper, on Prednisone til 2/18. Can't wait to be off. Little bit of anxiousness and sleep issues have crept in.

I was trying to get outside each day to walk slowly and even read on the porch. The fresh air helps. But the weather of late is not cooperating: rainy and windy. Supposed to the sun again today. Woohoo...

Thanks again!
                            Kathy

Comment

Working...
                            X