The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 6/18/20

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Goalposters Exercise Check-in 6/18/20

Hi everyone - sorry for being late in posting this! I'm still filling in for Mamabug while she is on vacation.

Last week we had 4 check in- 2 made goals, 1 did not (me), and 1 partial goal??
    Mamabug did not report but I'm sure she is getting exercise playing with her grandkids!

This group is great for encouragement. It's not about how successful we are. Just that we're trying.
    We are a small group and hope more of you would like to join us!!

For new Exercisers:
    Feel free to join us. You set your own goals. You can keep the same goals week-to-week, or modify them. You decide if you accomplished them. Check in once a week to let us know how you did last week, and to set goals for the following week.
    1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
    Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

The reason I forgot to post this thread on time is my lack of knowing what day it is. I have just come out of the worst stomach/intestinal flu bug I've had in my life! 5 days in a row.

My exercise was nil, nada, zero. Slept 14-16 hours a day. Got dehydrated as a result with being dizzy, lightheaded and so weak and could hardly walk.

But, am starting to recover. With 2 weeks now of no exercise, my goal will be to regain my strength in small increments. Baby steps...

Hope you all had successes!

Comment

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
      I have just come out of the worst stomach/intestinal flu bug I've had in my life! 5 days in a row.... starting to recover. With 2 weeks now of no exercise, my goal will be to regain my strength in small increments. Baby steps...

Yikes! TOTALLY washed out feeling, right? Seasha take another week and then the baby steps.... -Dr. Jer

For me, a week similar to last but didn’t quite accomplish all I would have liked. Lazy, outta gas.

This past week had 2 good sessions with trainer. Total of 3.5 hrs walking and lots of leg work. Also, had five 35 minute daily stretch sessions. But that was it.

Trainer is off next week, but gym is open :-\

Some dread and some excitement looking ahead to cardio and to strength equipment. I suspect I have lost abilities and have been warned not to attempt to get it all back in one day. I will go easy.

I believe a spiritual sangfroid will be better than any physical prowess.

We will see. Hope we all keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by 502E79 View Post
        Yikes! TOTALLY washed out feeling, right? Seasha take another week and then the baby steps.... -Dr. Jer

Some dread and some excitement looking ahead to cardio and to strength equipment. I suspect I have lost abilities and have been warned not to attempt to get it all back in one day. I will go easy.
        Yes Dr Jer! I'm no stranger to know when to call the shots. 31 years of MS has taught me that much.
        Might I tell you to do the same when you get back to cardio and strength exercises back at the gym!
        Baby steps...
        Good job this week!

Comment

Hello everyone

Originally posted by Seasha View Post
          But, am starting to recover. With 2 weeks now of no exercise, my goal will be to regain my strength in small increments. Baby steps...
          I'm so very glad that you're starting to recover, Seasha! Being sick with progressive MS is no picnic, and makes it super difficult to function.

For me, a week similar to last but didn’t quite accomplish all I would have liked. Lazy, outta gas.

This past week had 2 good sessions with trainer. Total of 3.5 hrs walking and lots of leg work. Also, had five 35 minute daily stretch sessions. But that was it.
          Not too shabby, Jer, considering you were running on empty!

Looks like I'm making it 3 for 3 - Goalposters who weren't at their best last week.

I made goals, but have been dealing with motor fatigue (weaker than usual arms and legs).

Not complaining, just stating the facts.

I'm going to try for 3 days of doing my exercises next week (rather than the 5 days). Hopefully my strength will return back to my usual 'normal'.

Daily: Up on feet and light activity (walk/stand) 6X a day @ 30 min each + Stretches throughout the day

3X Next Week: In-chair ab crunches (20 each time) + Arm, Leg, Core, and Back Exercises

Good energy and strength to all.
          PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
          ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

A follow up note ahead of this weekly report.

First day at gym went pretty well. No AC, but not many people either. Sorry to say no masks. The young are bulletproof.

Just did cardio. Covered the same distances as pre-virus days, on elliptical and treadmill. Less than one additional minute to do it!. Recovery took longer.

Add some core stuff and I spent a pleasant hour

Comment

Just did cardio. Covered the same distances as pre-virus days, on elliptical and treadmill. Less than one additional minute to do it!. Recovery took longer.

Add some core stuff and I spent a pleasant hour
              Jer, it's wonderful that you didn't experience a set-back with your workout, from not being able to go to the gym for so long. Pretty amazing, actually.
              ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Originally posted by KoKo View Post
                Jer, it's wonderful that you didn't experience a set-back with your workout, from not being able to go to the gym for so long. Pretty amazing, actually.

Thanks K! I was expecting worse, since I had no "heart-pumping" exercise for 3 months. Weight work should show a noticeable loss.

Ps, read and will reread the heat intolerance thread links you & Seasha supplied. I am grateful for the abilities I still have (I sit close to the middle as far as mobility issues), so applying the latest theories may help to get a handle on my own temperature tolerances AND their likelihood to change....

Certainly taps the breaks on moving to S. FL. But Covid-19 did a good job on that plan too!

Comment

Thanks K! I was expecting worse, since I had no "heart-pumping" exercise for 3 months.
                  But you still remained active and moved around, which I'm thinking kept your heart pumping at a healthy level. You didn't just lay around the whole time.

Ps, read and will reread the heat intolerance thread links you & Seasha supplied. I am grateful for the abilities I still have (I sit close to the middle as far as mobility issues), so applying the latest theories may help to get a handle on my own temperature tolerances AND their likelihood to change....

Certainly taps the breaks on moving to S. FL. But Covid-19 did a good job on that plan too!
                  Oh how I would love being able to live in a warm, sunny climate!

I totally savor feeling toasty warm, but my nerve signals absolutely refuse to work under those conditions.

Jer, you may get lucky and fit into that percentage of persons with MS that can tolerate getting warmed up, without having problems with functioning.

Comment

Working...
                  X