Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a MS post, but something you might like to hear.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a MS post, but something you might like to hear.

You all have been so close to me during Sam's illness and passing. I just have to tell you this.

The ship he was on in Vietnam has a Facebook page. Before he died I posted a little about him to see if any of his shipmates would see it and respond. I had a few guys contact me and send me old pictures from the ship and VN. Pictures that my family would never have seen if not for Facebook.

Last week I was contacted by a guy who did all 3 tours with Sam in all the ports, doing all the same work etc. They were very good friends! This guy told me stories about Sam that I hadn't heard and retold some that Sam had told me. This man also has Agent Orange damage to his health. Anyway, we talked on the phone once and it was almost like hearing Sam's voice again! This guy knew EVERYTHING. Even the expressions he used were just like Sam's.

It's been such a gift to hear from these men who knew and loved him. I just wish I would have found them before he died. He had a terrible childhood, but his Navy days were his happiest. At the end of his life he was hallucinating about Veterans who needed help. He never got over that war. He would have LOVED to talk to his friends one more time.

If you know a Veteran... cherish him.

Thanks for listening.
    Marti

The only cure for insomnia is to get more sleep.

Beautiful and heartwarming story, marti!

Thank you for sharing it with us.

Take Care
    PPMS for 26 years (dx 1998)
    ~ Worrying will not take away tomorrow's troubles ~ But it will take away today's peace. ~

Comment

Really touching, Marti, and thanks so much for sharing! Wouldn't it be wonderful to somehow arrange to meet them in person?

My brother is a Vietnam vet (Air Force) and I cherish him for sure.
      1st sx '89 Dx '99 w/RRMS - SP since 2010
      Administrator Message Boards/Moderator

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post

If you know a Veteran... cherish him.
        Or her. Plenty of my shipmates were female. Even more so today. So glad you were able to connect with those memories.
        The future depends on what you do today.- Gandhi

Comment

Marti - I am so glad you found some of his fellow veterans. I am sure your conversation was comforting to his friend as well.

Thanks for sharing.
          Kathy
          DX 01/06, currently on Tysabri

Comment

Oh, Marti,

That is beautiful! Yes we want to hear about that. That is so much of your life.

Comment

Originally posted by marti View Post
              Thanks for listening.

Thank you for starting such a warm and thoughtful thread Marti.

"Memories are the Indian summer of the heart."

-J. G. Whittier

Comment

Facebook Groups

My husband served in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam war era. Last year he joined a Facebook group dedicated to the F-105 aircraft that was flown on many missions during that period and on which he worked. It brought him in to contact with a number of men with similar interests and even with some who actually served with him. It has brought him a great deal of pleasure to make these connections. I am glad you have been able to do this sort of thing, also. I'm sure Sam is pleased for you.

IRENE

Comment

Originally posted by jessiesmom View Post
                  My husband served in the Air National Guard during the Vietnam war era. Last year he joined a Facebook group dedicated to the F-105 aircraft that was flown on many missions during that period and on which he worked. It brought him in to contact with a number of men with similar interests and even with some who actually served with him. It has brought him a great deal of pleasure to make these connections. I am glad you have been able to do this sort of thing, also. I'm sure Sam is pleased for you.

IRENE

Glad your husband could reconnect with his guys now. Sam would have loved this, but I didn't find them until it was too late.
                  Marti

Comment

Oh Marty that is so sweet. I'm glad you found some comfort in finding his buddies. I bet you made Sam smile.
                    God Bless Us All

Comment

Ohhh, Marti -- that just warmed my heart!

I can't help but imagine Sam listening in on the conversation and enjoying the connection that the two of you have found.

Please note my moderator's note below. I loved this post, but didn't want to move it from here because I wanted it to be seen by a larger audience.

** Moderator's note - Post copied to Gratitudes Journal. because it is so worthy of being shared there. **
                      https://msworld.org/forum/showthread...=1#post1522109 Post #74
                      ~ Faith
                      MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                      (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                      - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                      - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                      - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamabug View Post
                        Ohhh, Marti -- that just warmed my heart!

I can't help but imagine Sam listening in on the conversation and enjoying the connection that the two of you have found.

Please note my moderator's note below. I loved this post, but didn't want to move it from here because I wanted it to be seen by a larger audience.

** Moderator's note - Post copied to Gratitudes Journal. because it is so worthy of being shared there. **
                        https://msworld.org/forum/showthread...=1#post1522109 Post #74

Thanks so much Mama. Move it wherever it needs to be moved. Thought it was time to post something without a little "whine".
                        Marti

Comment

I'll just leave it both places. :-)
                          ~ Faith
                          MSWorld Volunteer -- Moderator since JUN2012
                          (now a Mimibug)

Symptoms began in JAN02
                          - Dx with RRMS in OCT03, following 21 months of limbo, ruling out lots of other dx, and some "probable stroke" and "probable CNS" dx for awhile.
                          - In 2008, I was back in limbo briefly, then re-dx w/ MS: JUL08

- Betaseron NOV03-AUG08; Copaxone20 SEPT08-APR15; Copaxone40 APR15-present
                          - Began receiving SSDI / LTD NOV08. Not employed. I volunteer in my church and community.

Comment

Working...
                          X